I wanted to make a thread and see who uses different sets of speakers in their cabs. To me this never made sense. It is sometimes hard enough to make one speaker sound perfect, so making two sound perfect seems nearly impossible.

I realized this after being suggested a V30/ET65(Warehouse) combo in my cab. The problem was that with this combo I could never hear the ET65. The V30 was just a louder sounding speaker with so much in the midrange that the ET65 was inaudible. I had to keep the mids turned down to tame the V30. And that's a shame because the ET65 has such an awesome meaty midrange and low end response that its greatest qualities could not be heard.

I really doubt two different speakers produce the same audible volume level and clarity at a specific setting to truly enable a user to get the full benefits of both speakers. It seems one speaker or another will always be lacking.

Shouldn't the player just get a nice responsive speaker(the ET65 for example) then tweak with an EQ pedal in the areas where they believe their tone could be improved? Or am I doing something wrong?
well if you got 2 speakers with the same sensitivity that wouldn't be a problem.
the et65 is 98 and the v30 is 100.

There's gonna be some difference in the volume there. Also the v30 is just a really mid-rangy speaker. The point of putting something like the 65 in that cab is so that your not dealing with trying to tame 2 v30s.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
well if you got 2 speakers with the same sensitivity that wouldn't be a problem.
the et65 is 98 and the v30 is 100.

There's gonna be some difference in the volume there. Also the v30 is just a really mid-rangy speaker. The point of putting something like the 65 in that cab is so that your not dealing with trying to tame 2 v30s.

But why buy speakers if you're going to have to "tame" them? If I wanted headache inducing icepick highs, I could dial those in with an EQ.
Last edited by patriotplayer90 at Sep 29, 2010,
i run a Celestion Vintage 30 and a Celestion G12t75 in the same cabinet, and it works great. i did have it with all V30's and with all G12t75's, and they sound best mixed. i guess in that case the weaknesses of one are overtaken of the strengths of the other.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by AcousticMirror
I dunno? I don't run any v30s.

Oh.

I know this is a little off topic, but why do you keep getting banned?
well what happens if i run a 2 x 12 with an aftermrket wizard speaker with a sensitivity of like 103, and then the stock bugera speaker by amp came with?

obviously, the wizard wil lbe dominant, but will the bugera speaker still "color" my overall sound?
there is nothing wrong with running all the same speaker in a cab. i did this for 8 years or so and the consistency was nice, especially if you really like one particular speaker. i liked my G12K-85's.

running multiple types of speakers in a setup is also nice, it has many benefits as well.

eventually i started playing with more eclectic crowds and started needing a bit more loose and colored speaker. got a cab with V30's and loved em for a while. around this time we started getting a speaker collection. i started running more amps, and therefore more cabs, and therefore more speakers. we started experimenting with mixing speakers into single cabs. you can do some amazing sound customization going this route. i run as many as 5 or 6 types of speakers in one guitar setup at times.

as far as the V30/G12-65 combo goes, i would have run a 2x12, stood it up vertical with the V30 on the bottom and the G12-65 on top (more toward ear level, so the V30 projects more at the feet and the 65 projects more near the ear). but don't think it woulda helped though. V30's are hard to mix with in general cuz it's higher mids really dominates the other speaker. so if i mix V30's, i mix them with a mid scooped speaker with strong low end and use it to reinforce the V30 rather than trying to have another speaker compete with it.

so i'd mix a V30 with a G12-80 or a G12K-100 if i wanted to compliment it. i wouldn't compete with it though, your tone will lose.

if you want to actually 'mix' the better attributes of speakers, you need to pic ones that don't having dominating characteristics (like a huge mids spike). like a eminence alnico bell(1228K) and a CTS squareback. great combo of speakers. also a C90 blackshadow and a EVM-12L, another great combo.

so if you wanna mix speakers you gotta now is you should they complement or supplement each other's tone:

- if you gotta mids spike speaker like a celestion blue/weber blue dog or a V30? then maybe you should complement it with something that will support the low end and keep of the V30's feet, like a G12-80, weber silver bell, or a G12H.

-if you have a fairly flat speaker with some good and certain lacking subtle characteristics, then why not supplement the tone with another fairly flat speaker with it's own good and lacking subtle characteristics. like a like G12-80 and a G12-65 might pair well cuz the nice mids of the 65 and the tight low end of the 80.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Sep 30, 2010,
Yeah great idea gumbi. Its just most speaker suggestions I see are for v30s/g12h30s. I haven't played a g12h, but I played an eminence copy and think that it would be more of a competitor than a compliment to the v30.

The same with a suggestion for the v30/et65 combo, all three speakers seem to focus strongly on the mids and that's where alot of their character s lie, so mixing them doesn't make much sense
well then you shouldn't mix those two speakers if you don't like the sound.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
well then you shouldn't mix those two speakers if you don't like the sound.

But I am unable to form my own opinion and can only do as ug tells me.