I found a perfect tone on my ESP LTD FX-260SM (badass) that sounded like Slash and Zakk Wylde had sex and created something dirty and beautiful, now I had some fret buzz two weeks ago while restringing my guitar and took it to samash to get it setup again.

Now when I had it back, (ive tried this on different amps) that tone is gone, I just told this guy to adjust the truss rod if possible I like the sound and he said thats pretty much all he did. The resulting tone is muddy, and that great GNR tone when I play 1/2 step down is out the window, its as if theres half the gain and/or treble necessary to fix it, but Im using the same presets Ive always saved on my amp, so Im really confused as to what to do.

Am I supposed to take a screwdriver and adjust the height of the pickups or something? Ive never done much physical work on the thing, even if I can play BLS solos with a breeze... should probably look into that, I can barely restring my guitar lol

Someone please give me advice, because either its bothering me more everyday or its actually getting worse, very un-rock n roll here
You're gonna get pissed but I really don't care. I think the problem is that it sounds like a mixture of Zakk Wylde and Slash's tones. I also like how you boosted your ego though it gave me a good laugh. I don't know what's wrong with it and obviously you don't know so I'd say take it into a shop and get it checked out.
try adjusting the pickups
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
He probably adjusted the pickup heights. Try raising the pickups about a quarter turn at a time until you get that sound back again. If this does not work then it is possible that you might need new strings. I had a similar issue with my guitar, I got a great megadeth type of sound out of it but it just kind of vanished then I got it back when I put new strings on it.

Quote by PeeInMyAss
You're gonna get pissed but I really don't care. I think the problem is that it sounds like a mixture of Zakk Wylde and Slash's tones. I also like how you boosted your ego though it gave me a good laugh. I don't know what's wrong with it and obviously you don't know so I'd say take it into a shop and get it checked out.

If you are going to act like that and contribute absolutely nothing to these forums then you really do not have any business being here.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Sep 29, 2010,
BTW. I'm guessing you removed all your strings at once when you restrung the guitar?
This is not a problem but you need to be aware that when you do that, the truss rod (which now has no strings to counteract against it) quickly removes any relief in the neck. Then you reinstall the strings and you get buzzing. This is because it takes longer for the neck to return to it's previous state as two forces are now working against one another (Truss rod & strings). Many people blame the new strings and say they buzz but it's the shift in the neck. Given 1-2 days the buzzing would've went away by itself assuming you've kept the original string gauge and tuning.
Next time take the strings off one at a time, replacing each as you go & tuning up to pitch. You'll see the guitar is immediately playable without buzzing. Or if you really need to remove them all at once for cleaning purposes, just live with the buzzing a day or two and be patient, it'll go away.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Sep 30, 2010,
Well, I hope this serves as a lesson that you should really learn to work on your own guitars. Otherwise stuff like this will happen all the time - techs are almost always never your friends, because they can't read your mind. They set it up how they like it, not how you want it.

How long has it been since you got it back? KenG is pretty much spot on. Other than that, try messing with your pickup height.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
It has active pickups, doesn't it?

New battery mayhaps?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by necrosis1193
It has active pickups, doesn't it?

New battery mayhaps?

+1

I did not even think of that, you are probably right.
Quote by Darkdevil725
+1

I did not even think of that, you are probably right.

nope, that guitar has passives

hmm, perhaps your volume/tone knobs are turned down, somtimes people can forget that they actually do stuff aha

could also be a solder joint within the guitar has come loose?
Quote by Led Dirigible
Crickets have too much high end for my tastes. I prefer a nice beetle, lots of warm low end.

tl;dr put a beetle in your amp for superior toanz.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 Classic
Westfeild LP e4500
Amp: Vox AD15VT
first off this is why every person who plays guitars should learn to do setups them selves.. that way its setup how you like it and not how the tech that sets up likes it or thinks it should be...

i would say buy a new set of strings and throw them on there.... also you sure its not the amp????
The tech said all he did was adjust the neck, I think that's all he did. The neck might not be as stiff as it was before because he adjusted the neck as you asked. The pickups are also farther away from the strings now than they were before so if you want the tone you had you should simply adjust the neck close to where it was before.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
if the battery is gone, youd DEFINATELY notice it. I mean youd have to be a retard to not notice it.

But this sounds a lil like my dilemma. Ive noticed that guitars with neck-throughs have the great punchy sound. Clear. Its the treble fequencies. With set necks I dont get that. I just dont. With bolt ons Ive experienced getting it and not getting it. The clear punch I mean. But you said your issue, and it sounded like your guitar was maby that kind of punchy, thats how you thought it, and then it all went away. I related myself to this as Ive played my bolt ons and they have the punch, but in a shop I played the ESP M-II bolt-on, and it didnt have it zomg!!!! wtf!

Anyone know what the hell am I talking about??