debating on taking my ibanez prestige rga121 and giving it a custom paint job. body only. was thinking about bright ****ing yellow.

still undecided. i have the violin finish one (the dark one) and i absolutely LOVE it but i just think having a custom paint job on my axe would just be cool. pla on doing it myself too, so anybody that has experience doing this, any advice woud be wonderful!
keep writing. keep dreaming.

keep the notes coming...

ibanez ftw
some basic advice:

-keep a log (WRITTEN) of what came off your guitar and where it goes back on
-dont for a second think about using paint that wasnt made for wood (automotive for ex.)
-take your time to sand properly
-prep the paint surface properly (since your putting on solid colour, you could prime)
-work clean!!!!!
-follow manufacturers instructions as accurately as you can
-dont paint the neck. you're bound to make some mistakes

i like the idea of custom painting guitars, just makes a guitar that much more "yours" if you've decided on how it will look. given that you arent dealing with a super pricey guitar, i think you have a great opportunity for some fun on your hands
Quote by krehzeekid
some basic advice:

-dont for a second think about using paint that wasnt made for wood (automotive for ex.)
-prep the paint surface properly (since your putting on solid colour, you could prime)
-work clean!!!!!

i like the idea of custom painting guitars, just makes a guitar that much more "yours" if you've decided on how it will look. given that you arent dealing with a super pricey guitar, i think you have a great opportunity for some fun on your hands

i wouldn't dream of touching the neck. after five and a half years with this guitar, the back of my neck is so smooth and and perfect and painting it would just ruin the feel.
keep writing. keep dreaming.

keep the notes coming...

ibanez ftw
Quote by krehzeekid
some basic advice:

-work clean!!!!!

I disagree with not using automotive paint. I used Duplicolor on the guitar kit I put together and it came out fine except for things that I messed up. Although if you want to know the best paint to use, definitely hit up Gear Building & Customizing.
LTD EC-1000 VB
Ibanez RG3EXFM1 (Dimarzio Mo' Joe in bridge, PAF Joe in neck, and Sperzels)
KFG Custom
Ibanez RG2550Z Galaxy White
Epiphone Thunderhorse Explorer

Marshall AVT 275
Quote by Blbmbr666
I disagree with not using automotive paint. I used Duplicolor on the guitar kit I put together and it came out fine except for things that I messed up. Although if you want to know the best paint to use, definitely hit up Gear Building & Customizing.

car paint will definately work, it just gives a heavey laquered looking finish is all. this results in a finish thats easier to chip (happened to my godin alot till i repainted it). car paint can look good. it just seems way easier to use the correct type of paint