Poll: How do you drink your scotch?
Poll Options
View poll results: How do you drink your scotch?
Straight or neat
28 29%
On the rocks
40 42%
With water
7 7%
Scotch? Gross.
21 22%
Voters: 96.
Page 1 of 2
I've always been a fan of scotch. As today is my 21st birthday, I decided to diverge from the normal bargain-bin batches of DeWars, Old Smugglers, Early Times, etc, to buy a bottle of single-malt, 12-year-old Glenlivet. My, my, is it tasty.

This has spurred a few questions about scotch and its counterparts:

What is the difference between single-malt scotch and whiskey? I had always been under the impression that scotch was merely blended whiskey, but this cannot be true.

What are the differences in taste between bourbon and scotch, or between bourbon and whiskey?

Can you recommend any other good scotch in the price range of 40-60USD?

And finally, how do you like it? I prefer mine straight or occasionally on the rocks.
i swear i thought you meant scotch tape.
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Quote by RU Experienced?
I drink it neat if its been in a freezer, or on the rocks otherwise.

That's how I prefer most of my alcohol. Since most people put too much ice in, it waters it down too fast.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
The first time I ever drank I had scotch...what a way to start! I wish I could remember what it was called....all I remember was it came in a box that looked like a medeival (sp) castle.

Any ideas what it was?
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
On the rocks, but I once drank 1 bottle of Dewar's and now can't even stand the smell of it, so, no more scotch for me :P
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
straight. only way to go. it loses its magic with ice/water.

if i'm going to spend that much for a decent bottle... i better enjoy every drop to the fullest. so i say straight.
You left the "Scotch is not vodka. I should get some vodka." option off your survey.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Glenlivet single malt on the rocks

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by strat0blaster
You left the "Scotch is not vodka. I should get some vodka." option off your survey.

this

vodka snd captina omrgan ftw
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Not big on scotch but oh how I love Disaronno. Stick a pint of that i the freezer and it's the tastiest syrupy drink known to man.
Quote by darkstar2466
Don't fret man.
Quote by BrokenDstring
The first time I ever drank I had scotch...what a way to start! I wish I could remember what it was called....all I remember was it came in a box that looked like a medeival (sp) castle.

Any ideas what it was?

Probably Chivas Regal.
Scotch is basically made from distilling grains, malt, sugar and yeast, that alone will get you single malt scotch. Blends are generally of lesser quality. Bourbon uses corn in the distillation, whiskey is made with rye. My favorite is Irish whiskey, try out Blackbush, it's really smooth. The different names are pretty much just to distinguish different methods of making it. People have been distilling random shit for thousands of years, add junipers and you have gin, add potatoes and you have vodka.
Never tried scotch, but when I drink whiskey I usually take it with water and a splash or two of cola if I'm not doing shots. I got another year til my twenty first though, which disappoints me. Happy birthday though, enjoy that high end liquor!
Quote by Creed Bratton
Scotch is basically made from distilling grains, malt, sugar and yeast, that alone will get you single malt scotch. Blends are generally of lesser quality. Bourbon uses corn in the distillation, whiskey is made with rye. My favorite is Irish whiskey, try out Blackbush, it's really smooth. The different names are pretty much just to distinguish different methods of making it. People have been distilling random shit for thousands of years, add junipers and you have gin, add potatoes and you have vodka.

hmm, I always thought scotch and bourbon were like two varieties of whiskey
thought this was about tape or eggs.

somewhat related, the first thing I ever drank was tequila when I was 11. it's not a pleasant memory.
I love Glenlivet, but for my last birthday I got a bottle of Lismore, which is also excellent and can be found for a more reasonable price. Lismore is a bit more peaty, has a bit more bite to it. It is a speyside single malt.

I will normally put in a single ice cube and a dash of soda with my scotch. Absolute best way of taking it.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
I like Glenfiddich single malt.
21 year old.

And...on the rocks.
I drink really slow...so i like how the ice dilutes the scotch over time. But not too dilute or it's no good.
I really dislike scotch, though if you're gonna do it, do it right: on the rocks.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
also scotch is smoked

dont drink it with ice.it kills the aroma and therefore half the flavour.its should be very slightly chilled but not cold
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
I still have a half bottle of Glenlivet actually, I more often than not drink it on the rocks.
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Generally, In my limited experience, bourbon is a lot more fiery than scotch, which is why i drink it. From mellow to fiery:

>Old Samuel
>Jim Beam
>Jack Daniels
Quote by magnus_maximus
Water and whisky is the SHIT, yo.

In all honesty I prefer a good bourbon, though.

In fact I have a bottle of white label Jim Beam in my room, in case of emergencies...

Ewww... WATER and whiskey? Killed the whiskey, bro.

is where it's at.
St. Mirren F.C
Champions of Renfrewshire Since 2006
SPL Survivors Since 2006
Highland malts don't necessarily need water, but some of the Islay or Speyside malts really come to life with a dash of water to let the flavours circulate more rather than just overpowering you with smoke.

I find Bourbon tends to have a sweeter character to Scotch - they're totally different drinks, and I like both from time to time. Bourbon takes ice far better than Scotch though, imo.

I currently have a bottle of Laphroig quarter cask, which I found on offer in Sainsbury's and is divine, although my absolute favourite Scotch is Lagavulin 16yo - which is always far out of my price range .

In terms of Bourbon, I really like Rip Van Winkle. I'm lucky to have a nearby pub which keeps a bigger selection of Bourbons than I've found anywhere else, so I get to try lots and lots of interesting brands.
Ceci n'est pas une signature
Isn't Scotch just Scottish whisky (ie - the best whisky)?

My favourite has gotta be the locally distilled stuff from the Bladnoch Distillary back home - 15 years single malt, matured in a cherry cask. Absolute bliss. A double measure with 3 ice cubes.

The cheap stuff fom pubs like Grouse and Highland Park ussually needs something else; for me its probably a tiny skoosh of lemonade so you get to the next one quicker!
Land of my high endeavor,
Land of the shining river,
Land of my heart forever,
Scotland the brave
WaitWhat? - I bought a bottle of Isla Jura on recommendation.

Bitterly disappointed. I prefer peaty Scotches, like those from the Isle of Skye like Talisker.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by Carmel
This is what I drink:

Straight. Any addition to good scotch is just sacrilegious.

Oh that's a nice one ! Great aroma
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Quote by metacarpi

Bitterly disappointed. I prefer peaty Scotches, like those from the Isle of Skye like Talisker.

Talisker is the ONLY single malt from Skye. :P

I'm guessing you like the Islay malts then? I love that island. Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Ardbeg, Caol Ila etc...

Fantastic whisky.

I take it neat, though adding a few drops of water is also good. Anybody that adds anything else to a good whisky disgusts me.
Quote by Confuse-a-Cat
Talisker is the ONLY single malt from Skye. :P

I'm guessing you like the Islay malts then? I love that island. Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Ardbeg, Caol Ila etc...

Fantastic whisky.

I take it neat, though adding a few drops of water is also good. Anybody that adds anything else to a good whisky disgusts me.

It was probably funnier in my head.

Islays are great, Laphroaig and Ardbeg particularly.

I went on the Whiskey Experience tour in Edinburgh recently, had an utterly fantastic time, although some of the bottles available were ridiculous! There was one that was £12,000!

I also had a bottle of something called "Jon Mark and Robbo's Smokey Peaty One", from a little distillery in Perthshire.

It was actually beautiful, and a bargain to boot at £15 for 50CL.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Page 1 of 2