i have a little electric guitar (about 3/4 of normal size) that i was converting into a travel guitar of sorts, i just had a friend rout a cavity and was going to use the innards of a broken pig nose when...

i droped that son of a bitch down a flight of concrete stairs, which broke off the nut and somehow managed to crack the output jack nearly in half (and lose a bridge screw)

aside from those two major breaks it is still usable

ive already put in a new output jack and smoothed out all the dings and scratches (i actually kind of like them)

and i was going to just buy a new nut but i figured i would try my hand at making one

so... yeah

i need as much info as possible on making a nut
Go out into the wilderness with nothing but a loincloth and a bow and arrow. Kill a wild deer, and use it's bones for the nut, eat the meat, and make a sweet strap out of the skin.

But seriously, it's probably very hard and involves precise carving of a density correct material. It'd be easier/smarter just to buy one.
Main Gear:
Epi Les Paul Ultra II
Bastard Telecaster
Pignose Legendary 7-100

Manga I'm reading!!!
Bleach, OP, Naruto, GE, Rosario+Vampire, Soul Eater, Kyou Kara Ore Wa, Kimi No Iru Machi, HSD Kenichi, and many more!!!
Quote by thegreatbuddha
it would actually be like $9 ($7.99+ tax)

but i want to make one

it would be a huge waste of time and, considering the carving tools and materials, money.

you would probably be spending more money on a nut thats probably not very reliable because of your lack of experience and knowledge.
Quote by Fantum1337
Go out into the wilderness with nothing but a loincloth and a bow and arrow. Kill a wild deer, and use it's bones for the nut, eat the meat, and make a sweet strap out of the skin.

i hear thats how ted nugent makes his
if its plausible to make one out of a dear antler, No joke i can get a dear antler right now...

my uncle killed a dear once and had its head mounted... hes dead now and my mom hates it so she put it in the garage... which is where i now sleep

i could cut off one of the antler nubs and i have beaucoups of carving materials

i know its going to be hard and i know i will probably **** it up but i have my heart set on making one

i just want to know if it is as simple as making it the right dimensions (wide as the neck and slightly taller than the fretboard) and carving 6 equidistant troughs for the strings
Last edited by thegreatbuddha at Sep 30, 2010,
Well, the dear antler may not work well... you can try it, but the antlers are made of keratin (the same stuff as our fingernails and hair) which can be really brittle. It may work if it's a wide enough nut though. I say go for it. You certainly aren't going to lose anything except for your time.
Main Gear:
Epi Les Paul Ultra II
Bastard Telecaster
Pignose Legendary 7-100

Manga I'm reading!!!
Bleach, OP, Naruto, GE, Rosario+Vampire, Soul Eater, Kyou Kara Ore Wa, Kimi No Iru Machi, HSD Kenichi, and many more!!!
Making a nut isn't as hard as you'd think. Once you have it down to a basic blank shape you just have to file away at it- checking it against your guitar every now and then- untill you have a finished and working nut. You have to be carefull how you clamp it though since bone can break.

There was a how-to guide on instructables but it seems to be gone now.
There was a thread a while ago asking about an animal bone(Pelvis or something like that) as a nut.
I think it resolved as no-go, because the nuts on guitars are dried. They need to be dry.
Something like that.
Just buy a nut blank from Stew-Mac. All you need to do is cut the slots and glue it in then you're done. You also need to cut it to size, because Stew-macs are sized to fit 7-strings as well. I think also basses.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
There was a thread a while ago asking about an animal bone(Pelvis or something like that) as a nut.
I think it resolved as no-go, because the nuts on guitars are dried. They need to be dry.
Something like that.
Just buy a nut blank from Stew-Mac. All you need to do is cut the slots and glue it in then you're done. You also need to cut it to size, because Stew-macs are sized to fit 7-strings as well. I think also basses.

you use leg bones AFAIK.

and it is WAY more complicated that it sounds, you have to dry the bone and degrease. just the degreasing will take quite a few weeks.

buy a blank or just pay someone to do it.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
If you're not opposed to graphite you can get a blank for 5-10$. They file well, but I would leave the grooves slightly high, as the strings can settle in lower after playing for a while, especially on the 3rd. Recheck nut height after a few weeks of play.