Hey guys, I am playing in LSU's battle of the bands in a few weeks - it's on gameday right in the middle of campus, and if you know anything about LSU football, the campus is FILLED with tailgaters - going to be a huge show! I really want to go all out for the show and get the crowd going, so I want to paint myself yellow with purple stripes using body paint (full torso, arms, face). I've seen someone do this in the past for a game and it looked badass.

ANYWAYS:
My only concern is my guitar; I gig with a gold 75 les paul deluxe; i do NOT want anything to happen to the guitar! Does anyone know if a guitar coming into contact with body paint could be harmful for the guitar? The most contact will occur on the back of the guitar which will obviously rest on my chest, and the face of the guitar above the strings where my right arm will rest. The time slot for the show is about 45 minutes, I will be sweating, so that's a pretty long time + exposure to moisture.

The paint will be applied a few hours prior to the gig, so it should be nice and dry, but body paint never really 'dries' it likes to stick to things - and adding sweat into the equation doesn't sound too good.

Will this bring permanent damage to my guitar, or will i be able to just wipe it down after the show?

Thanks!
Randall
it needs to be permanent if you want a decent paint job done to the guitar. i suggest going on youtube and checking out how some people custom painted their strats to make it look like EVH's guitar. you can get some nice paint job tips there...
Quote by lifesuckstomuch
Quote by Mangohabs
...great post

Quote by Headphonehead
@ Cobracarg: 1 word:Genius!!!
Ok can we stop sucking this dudes dick and deal with my question?
P.S you need to take apart your guitar if you are going to do your paint job...
Quote by lifesuckstomuch
Quote by Mangohabs
...great post

Quote by Headphonehead
@ Cobracarg: 1 word:Genius!!!
Ok can we stop sucking this dudes dick and deal with my question?
.....Think the first poster missed the point.

I would HIGHLY reccomend skipping the body paint if you care about the guitar, or grabbing a cheap guitar to use for this show. Epiphone actually made Les Pauls with school colors/designs, and LSU was one of them.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Collegiate-Electric-Guitar?sku=518717

Otherwise, if you're playing with your guitar, I'd say skip the body paint. You're playing a show, you'll sweat, paint will make a mess all over your guitar............just don't do it.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
^huh?

TS: Do you have any backup guitars? If your guitar costs a lot/ means a lot to you, I really wouldn't be taking it to that kind of show anyway. I can imagine a thousand different things happening to it. A good rule of thumb is to never take your best guitar to do a show unless it's really legit.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I suggest not painting it...we dont know how the wood of the guitar reacts on the paint. or how musical frequencies react to it too..it might go blobby or something...it might even give random lumps...
I think some people are not getting what the TS is asking. He's using the body paint on himself but is afraid that if the body paint sticks to his guitar would it react badly in anyway
oh i get it....=_='' like what i said...we dont know how the wood of the guitar reacts on the paint. or how musical frequencies react to it too..it might go blobby or something...it might even give random lumps...after your show
If you're talkign about a Gibson Les Paul (not Epiphone) don't do it! Nitro could easily absorb some of the colours into it & if it does you're more than likely screwed.
If it was poly I'd say fine but not nitro.
Moving on.....
I would either A) just wear an LSU shirt, B) not do the whole body paint school spirit thing, or C) use a guitar that isn't quite as special to you
Quote by theogonia777
Lefthandedkid is super awesome, ja?

Quote by rgrockr
I guess fire extinguishers have to be filled with something other than fire retardant now, because apparently that's offensive.

Watch my stream?
thanks for the responses all.
and sorry for the confusion, I planned on painting MYSELF not the guitar haha

i have a few back up guitars so I may use one of them
The body paint may stick to the back of the guitar... So unless you plan on re-painting the guitar anyway, don't use your best guitar. You could also use something or other as a buffer between guitar and bodypaint.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
dont do it... you will regret it latter.. also the paint may effect the tone of your guitar.....
You could get one of those guitar condoms and then peel it off later. Or if you're really cheap, a couple layers of saran wrap on the back would probably do fine as well.

But then you still have to worry about your arm on the front...

Eh. I still stick to what I said originally. Use a guitar you don't care much about. Afterwords you may care for it more because of the memories associated with it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
wtf is LSU?

Liverpool Students Union? Loughborough Students Union? Are we supposed to know by some divine telepathic sense?

Whatever, I wouldn't risk it with my LP (if I had one).
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
LSU = Louisiana State University... lol

And yeah, if you really want to use it you could do as someone above said and wrap it in seran wrap, lol

But it's probably better to use a different guitar that's got a Poly finish, as that finish tends to be thicker and would probably wipe off easier.
Main Gear:
Epi Les Paul Ultra II
Bastard Telecaster
Pignose Legendary 7-100

Manga I'm reading!!!
Bleach, OP, Naruto, GE, Rosario+Vampire, Soul Eater, Kyou Kara Ore Wa, Kimi No Iru Machi, HSD Kenichi, and many more!!!