Page 1 of 2
Do you get mad when people mistake your race or nationality?

I've never understood this. I'm 100% Mexican-American, and people have mistaken me to be White, Italian, etc. and it doesn't bother me. If they ask "Are you Italian?" I just say "Nah, Mexican." Quite frankly I don't see anything wrong with looking white or Italian.

But I've seen people get noticeably pissed when you mistake they're race or nationality. One time I asked my old boss if he was Mexican (because he looked like one and I was curious) and he was like "No, I am NOT Mexican" and it turned out he was Guatemalan. I was like "Gee, sorry. I don't see what's so offensive" and he said "Well I'm not Mexican and I'm glad I'm not, either."

I've noticed some people from the Philippines get mad when they're mistaken to be Hispanic, and I've heard New Zealanders don't like being mistaken to be Australian. And I was watching Curb Your Enthusiasm and Larry offends a Norweigan man when he mistakes him to be Swedish (because his name was Sven).
Last edited by The Madcap at Sep 30, 2010,
If I were East Asian, this would bother me a lot.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Yeah, most Latin Americans don't like being called Mexican. Probably because they get it all the time.

I'm pretty Anglo-Saxon but some people have thought I might Brazilian. I thought it was pretty sweet.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
"Mexican, Puerto Rican - tell me this, who brought all these diverse cultures together and taught them to park their cars on their lawns?"
I've been asked if I was an Israeli. I am actually Spanish.

Although it does kind of bother me when people think I'm Mexican just because I have a Spanish name.

However, the worst is when I tell people I am Spanish and they literally have NO idea where Spain is. Not even remotely. As in, not even the fact that it is in Europe.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
I have been mistaken to be English a couple of times, because of the way I speak or something. In reality I am 100% New Zildinder (I actually lie, I'm a quarter Australian, but I like to ignore that ).

But yeah, I don't really care at all. Oh, and I love that episode of Curb mentioned in the OP
I can take a road that'll see me through.
Quote by MakinLattes
how are people supposed to know?

I just ask, an easy way to sidestep offense.

I was talking to a black guy who spoke with a British accent that I couldn't quite place, I was thinking London, so I asked him where he was from. He seemed to be expecting the question in another way and answered, "yeah, my family's from Nigeria".

Turned out he was from South London, but that was awkward.
People know I'm White and English.

Mainly because I'm White and have a strong English accent!
RIP Tom Searle.
no, it doesnt bother me... i am mexican/puerto rican but i look white... but a lot of people ask if i am native american... i do not think much of it.... i kinda like looking white because people assume i dont know spanish... But i do
Quote by lifesuckstomuch
Quote by Mangohabs
...great post

Quote by Headphonehead
@ Cobracarg: 1 word:Genius!!!
Ok can we stop sucking this dudes dick and deal with my question?
Quote by The Madcap

I've never understood this. I'm 100% Mexican-American, and people have mistaken me to be White, Italian, etc. and it doesn't bother me. If they ask "Are you Italian?" I just say "Nah, Mexican." Quite frankly I don't see anything wrong with looking white or Italian.

The same for me but I used to get picked on in school because of it. There wasn't really a whole bunch of white people there so, yeah I was made fun of because of it. I don't get mad though, not a lot of people ask, they just assume.
STಠ_ಠ
im a pale skinned fella... dont get asked about my nationality to often.
I don't really mind getting mistaken for a different race. What I do mind, however, is being stereotyped as a race or nationality I don't even belong to. You'd think I'd actually take less offense to that, but I don't. Go figure.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
Not really, I just see it as an honest mistake. Although I rarely get confused with another nationality.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
I'm pretty unmistakably white. I wouldn't expect anyone to even guess what "type" of European I am.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by MakinLattes
how are people supposed to know?

Magic, of course!

I've never been confused for anything because I'm pretty much the epitome of "pale white boy". But I've had friends that people mistook for being Native American when they were really a mix of black and white, or the other way around.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Hard to mistake a ginger for anything but Anglo-Saxon decent.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Get the hell out of here, Guero.

No, I don't. I look white so I don't mind if people can't tell. Though, my last name should give it away..
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
Hard to mistake a ginger for anything but Anglo-Saxon decent.

I was going to say something extremely similar to this.

Although I was mistaken for a British native a few times while in London.
i am 100% arab, most people think i am iranian, turkish or greek, just because most people think that arabs are black, which is not true really,
it doesnt bother me at all to be honest,
il sara7a il sara7a, i made you a goat but i eated it

we are not racist, we hate everyone equally
I'm Irish, Polish, and Russian. This somehow results in the unsightly combination of extreme paleness with extreme amounts of hair. For some reason my hair is dark brown in the winter but turns much redder during the summer. This has led to many people asking if I get highlights, which pisses me off.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by The Madcap
Do you get mad when people mistake your race or nationality?

But I've seen people get noticeably pissed when you mistake they're race or nationality. One time I asked my old boss if he was Mexican (because he looked like one and I was curious) and he was like "No, I am NOT Mexican" and it turned out he was Guatemalan. I was like "Gee, sorry. I don't see what's so offensive" and he said "Well I'm not Mexican and I'm glad I'm not, either."

I've noticed some people from the Philippines get mad when they're mistaken to be Hispanic, and I've heard New Zealanders don't like being mistaken to be Australian. And I was watching Curb Your Enthusiasm and Larry offends a Norweigan man when he mistakes him to be Swedish (because his name was Sven).

...Dude you are from Houston, being mistaken for Italian is a good thing. >__>

At least you are not mistaken for a Puerto Rican or an Arab like me.
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
ofcourse i get offended when people call me Swedish or German
gr8 b8 m8 i r8 8/8
I really only get annoyed when people think that holland and germany is the same thing..
I mean...come on...
Gear:

Jackson performer (miJ)
Cort Earth 700
roland cube 15
Behringer Wah
Boss rc-2 loop station

Dutch Power!!

Quote by DieGarbageMan
Proffesser Oak : I Came when i heard you beat the elite four

People think I'm of Asian descent all the time. It used to annoy me greatly, but I've learned to accept it.
Last edited by Lord-O-Donuts at Sep 30, 2010,
Well I live in a country were 90% of the population is black haired and I'm blond.. They ask me ALL THE TIME but I don't care anymore really, I just ignore them..
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
No, never. It is easy to mistake my identity. I am really blonde, so most people who take a guess think I am Swedish or something like that.
I get fed up of correcting people when they say I'm English. Not angry though.
As soon as people hear my last name, (Huertas) they ask if I am Mexican. It never fails. I don't mind it it just gets irritating after a little while. I am a mixture of things, most of the percentage being Italian, Puerto Rican, and Irish.
Rofl?

Lol Cross. The Power of LOL Compels you!
I've been called Spanish, Italian and Mexican. I live in dorset ffs, all I know is tractors.
'Always outnumbed, never outgunned'
PSN + XBL: Jimsworthy

Charvel So-Cal ProMod Black
Ibanez RG350Dx W/ Duncans
Blackstar HT Stage 100
ASshdown 4x12
Morley George Lynch Dragon Wah II
I've been called Native Canadian once (I'm not), it was kind of strange, but I didn't get angry.
I get a little annoyed when I get called German when I'm actually (part) Austrian.
So come on in
it ain't no sin
take off your skin
and dance around in your bones

No, cause I really don't give a shit

Even Asian people can't tell my race
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Last edited by Cianyx at Sep 30, 2010,
Im half Lebanese. I dont look it one bit. I guess a few things here and there could give it away if you were looking for it and knew your stuff but you'd never guess. People are always like "no your not!!!" I'm use to it now.
I'm pretty unmistakably Dutch.
Only one person ever mistook my nationality. When I was in England, people mistook me for a proper Brit. Probably because when I speak English, I do so with a distinct British accent. I have relatives there, so it's been that way since as long as I can remember.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
I'm a fair haired, very white tall guy with an aussie accent kinda hard to mistake for anything but australian
Quote by RSOB Bass
Thanks Andy, you're fucking awesome.

Quote by XmydyingheartX
^___^

Quote by Andrea55
Banned because I love you!

Happily e-married to RSOB Bass
E-brother to Andrea55
E-Uncle to KitKat555
Page 1 of 2