Sup guys. I'm not going to ramble on about a bunch fo shit you don't care about so here it goes.

-I'm getting a Mexi Strat.
-I also want a new guitar to replace my LP 100 for double humbucker style.
-I play music ranging from Led Zeppelin Type tones to Tool type tones. Sometimes I play Thrash metal...but nothing really heavier than that.
-The lowest tuning I play ever is C# standard. I usually play in E standard or Eb standard.
-I like warm sounds more than trebly and bitey sounds.
-Adam Jones' tone is my favorite tone ever. Yes I know, it has to do with the fact that he recorded through 3 simultaneous amps with delay...but just as a reference.
-My budget pretty much stops around $700. I'd rather not pay that much too...but in worst case scenario I might pay that much.

Basically, I was pretty sure I was going to buy a PRS SE Custom 24, 25th Anniversary.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-SE-25th-Anniversary-Custom-24-Electric-Guitar?sku=423596

But then I considered just getting an Agile AL-3000
http://www.rondomusic.com/al-3000rootbeer.html
Pickups don't matter...I can always change them.

PRS SE Pros:
-It's a PRS.
-It has a Tremolo
-Nice finish
-Good stock pickups
-Awesome Fretboard Inlays

PRS Cons:
-Bad ish stock tuners.
-No carved body
-No Binding
-------------------------
Agile Al 3000 Pros:
-Rivals Gibson quality...and much better than Epiphone
-Triple binding all over the body and neck/headstock
-Awesome looking top
-Very thick for a warm, deep tone.
-Albalone Inlays
-Grover Tuners
-Costs MUCH less for about the same quality.

Agile Cons:
-No Tremolo
-Average pickups (can be replaced)

They both seem great honestly. Thing is, I can't try out either of them. At all. No PRS dealers anywhere and Agile is shipped from Rondo Music.

If you were held at gunpoint and told you had to choose between these two guitars, which would it be? I honestly can't decide.

Thanks!
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Fender just released the BlackTop series. HH Tele MIM. Pick ups are toasty and you'll have a bit of change for a wee pedal or something. Plus thoses things look cool as hell
^Yeah those do look awesome...but I'd rather have a mahogany guitar TBH.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Hmm. What amp are you playing through?
Quote by silent caution
When i was younger i used to pee in peoples shoes and blame their dog
Mostly my friend's Blackstar HT-20 and my Peavey Vypyr. Sometimes a Marshall Plexi.
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Last edited by Ayses at Sep 30, 2010,
Get a better amp first.
Quote by silent caution
When i was younger i used to pee in peoples shoes and blame their dog
Quote by Chylyn
Get a better amp first.
Get a better amp than a marshall plexi or a Blackstar ht-20? no thanks
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
FWIW, it'll be more of a pain in the ass to tune down as low as C# Standard on a Les Paul type guitar because of the short scale. The PRS is slightly longer, but it's still .5" short of standard.

Trying to leave my opinions out of it, even with the short scale, the Agile might be a better choice simply because your Fender will have a trem, and variety is always great. Unless you really like using trem, in which case the PRS would win hands down.

With my opinions in it, the PRS blows the Agile away aesthetically. They just look ****ing cool.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
2nd hand PRS CU24

doesnt have the bird inlays but is other wise the same guitar in nicer finishes IMO

Also dont let the 24.75 scale put you off the Agile if thats what you want,

My explorer is tuned to B standard with a 24.75 scale neck and i have no problems with it...

But i would pick the PRS over the agile.

MIK with great hardware. upgrade the tuners and lube the nut and that trem is amazing.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
How often will you need the trem? It might take a little more care, but unless you'll use it a lot the Strat could probably suffice for that need. That, and the Royal Blue finish is one of the sexiest things ever. The extra .5" will help a little for dropped tunings, but it's not a huge difference.

For the price, the Agile will probably be better. People here go insane for them, but they're not God's gift to guitars, just pretty good for the price. But a copy is a copy, regardless. In its favor, it has seperate volume/tone pots for each pickup, which I'm a huge fan of. But if you'll be using a trem fairly often, PRS would beat it out.

Oh, and +100 for Adam Jones.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Last edited by Pink Muse at Sep 30, 2010,
With that kind of money I'd look for a used Gibson LP studio or epiphone elitist LP. You're just wasting you money buying those guitars at those prices, they cut in half once they hit the used market.

I sold my wine red gibson LP studio for $650, which is right about what it was worth to me.

I'm a strat style body fan though, so personally I would recommend nothing you're looking at.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Last edited by guitar nubsauce at Sep 30, 2010,
Alright thanks guys...given me a bit to think about.

I guess I'm leaning toward a used PRS. I'll probably end up getting an agile eventually just because they seem to be better than Epipone and Gibson obviously overprices their shit...and I think LP studios are just lacking too much esthetically.
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Quote by Ayses
Alright thanks guys...given me a bit to think about.

I guess I'm leaning toward a used PRS. I'll probably end up getting an agile eventually just because they seem to be better than Epipone and Gibson obviously overprices their shit...and I think LP studios are just lacking too much esthetically.

So you're going to put aesthetics over quality? Unless you pickup and CE from PRS, it's not going to match the tone, quality, or build of a studio in my opinion.
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Quote by guitar nubsauce
So you're going to put aesthetics over quality? Unless you pickup and CE from PRS, it's not going to match the tone, quality, or build of a studio in my opinion.
No...I'm going for price to quality ratio. The studio still costs 1300+ new...unless you get the crappy finish version that costs 700 and scratches like a mofo. They're not even close to worth it. At all. Gibson price gouges like there's no tomorrow. I'm not supporting that company.

Also, about the aesthetics thing...I'm not paying like $900 used for a guitar that looks like shit even if it does play good. I've seen comparison videos of Agile AL 3000s vs Gibson Standards...they were almost as good. Like 80% of the way there. And that's without a pickup upgrade. They also cost nearly 1/8th of the price of a Standard Gibson LP.

I just want the best guitar for the money. Nothing Gibson offers can possibly be classified as "best for the money." IMO.
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
no but those PRS CE would fit what you want perfectly and last for thr rest of your life.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Ayses
No...I'm going for price to quality ratio. The studio still costs 1300+ new...unless you get the crappy finish version that costs 700 and scratches like a mofo. They're not even close to worth it. At all. Gibson price gouges like there's no tomorrow. I'm not supporting that company.

Also, about the aesthetics thing...I'm not paying like $900 used for a guitar that looks like shit even if it does play good. I've seen comparison videos of Agile AL 3000s vs Gibson Standards...they were almost as good. Like 80% of the way there. And that's without a pickup upgrade. They also cost nearly 1/8th of the price of a Standard Gibson LP.

I just want the best guitar for the money. Nothing Gibson offers can possibly be classified as "best for the money." IMO.

I never said 900 or even 1300 for a studio. I said 600-650. That's any finish you want except two tone. The white ones with gold hardware are "ugly"?

If you think an agile al3000 is going to come anywhere near the quality and tone of a studio, then I say your ears are to amateur to hear the difference.
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
If I could find a Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine white with gold hardware for $650, I'd be all over it. Too bad that deal can't possibly exist. Unless you're buying it from a friend or the 1/100,000,000 chance that someone would actually sell it for that low on Ebay (they won't) or something...in which case someone would buy it before you did because they could easily resell it for $900.
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
The only reason you can't find alpine white cheap right now is because they are brand new. In 2 years, you will find them all over the place like every other studio.

wine red G/W- $570
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Wine-Red-w-gold-hardware-/200525623250?pt=Guitar&hash=item2eb0422fd2

wine red G/W- $660
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Made-USA-Plays-Sounds-Great-/220676031675?pt=Guitar&hash=item33615104bb

I mean dude, you just don't know how to shop. If you pay $900 for a les paul studio used you are a fool or you better have found the ultimate guitar.
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Last edited by guitar nubsauce at Sep 30, 2010,
Actually I do know how to shop. Which is why I didn't pay $900 for a used Studio. None of the ones I would want are in my price range, hence I haven't bought them. I don't want to come sound mean or anything, but seriously...lol.

I do appreciate the suggestion, though. One thing is...I don't mind buying gear online at all. But I am very wary of buying USED gear online. I know I can look at seller ratings and everything but lots of my friends have horror stories of buying used gear online. Like my friend who bought an orange 2x12 cab for like $350 used from a guy with a perfect satisfaction rating, only to have multiple tears in the tolex (that weren't in the pictures) and it reeked of cigarette smoke. So meh.
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Last edited by Ayses at Sep 30, 2010,
I agree, I dont ebay, I use craigs list. I picked up my old LP studio mint for $500 and sold it for $600. Wine Red.

I don't know why you think wine red w gold hardware is ugly! It's my favorite studio.
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
I dunno either. Maybe it's because I've never seen one in person. I usually LOVE red guitars...something about it. I dunno. I like the Alpine white a lot more though.
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
No doubt alpine white is srs biz
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
i would get a agile out of those, but you could find better guitars used. i see the guy made his point about the gibby, and he is 100% right IMO. but ultimately, you're going to buy what you really want, and i kinda get the feeling you already know what it is.
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
reading this over, I think I was a bit brash.

I've played SE's with the right pu swap and some hardware upgrades, perfect finish, and a "1 in 200" build quality for the se line.

Considering this, with a bit of money put into a SE you could probably get an instrument that will be good for the rest of your life.

Also look at ibanez. They have some great high end les paul guitars. By far my favorite.
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Quote by guitar nubsauce
reading this over, I think I was a bit brash.

I've played SE's with the right pu swap and some hardware upgrades, perfect finish, and a "1 in 200" build quality for the se line.

Considering this, with a bit of money put into a SE you could probably get an instrument that will be good for the rest of your life.

Also look at ibanez. They have some great high end les paul guitars. By far my favorite.

Dont talk bollocks.

The SEs have the most consistant qulaity in the lower to mid range of any mass produced guitar in mine and many others opinions.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Dont talk bollocks.

The SEs have the most consistant qulaity in the lower to mid range of any mass produced guitar in mine and many others opinions.

Hmm, I think you miss understood me. When I said 1/200, I meant "amazing build". Not something you would expect from the typical SE line, which I never said was bad, just most likely won't rival gibson quality..

I meant the one in two hundred SE's you will find that you say "wow, this sounds and feels like a CE".
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Last edited by guitar nubsauce at Oct 1, 2010,
Considering how every gobson neck feels different as well general fit and finish varies,

but the Wide Fat or Wide Thin necks on the SEs are always the same, as well as the general fit and finish, I would happily reccomend them until the sky falls. Even if its just slightly under par of a USA made guitar, thats still no mean feat dude.

MIK guitars are pretty much bomb proof IMO

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Sorry, I still can't justify spending $700 on a PRS SE.
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Why beacuse for the same money you could buy an 2nd hand inconsistent guitar made in the states?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Why beacuse for the same money you could buy an 2nd hand inconsistent guitar made in the states?

no because I can find them for 350-400 used all day
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
well hardly a reason to bash them lol

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
dude look at post number 28 wtf

"Considering this, with a bit of money put into a SE you could probably get an instrument that will be good for the rest of your life."
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
so the ts bought the SE?

should have listened to tom and got a used CE.

congrats. the mik SE guitars are pretty nice especially for the used price. some upgrades won't hurt.
Quote by Tom 1.0
no but those PRS CE would fit what you want perfectly and last for thr rest of your life.

CE bro...

The real thing.

A bolt on MIA PRS, but they for about 800-1000 USD.

I mean check this out Nubsauce... PRS CE

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Oct 1, 2010,
You're so confused right now because you're not reading my posts for what they are, you're just reading what you want to see.

I told you to look at post 28 of when I said the SE could be great with upgrades and last the rest of his life, and you took it as I said YOU said that.

You obviously are so quick to jump the gun to argue and defend against prs when I've clearly showed nothing but love for them, that you're not even trying to read my posts for what they are.
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)