My cable is in the way of the vibrato arm on my strat.
Is there some easy solution that I am not seeing? I don't want to have to "deal with it".
should have clarified...

I want to be able to swing it all the way around.
Also, it gets in the way of me quickly grabbing it.
Last edited by Uber_Kitty at Sep 30, 2010,
I'm assuming your trem is hanging rather than in a set position. If I were you, I'd adjust to a position just before it begins to tighten up in the position of your liking. My vibrato bar usually floats about an inch above my volume knob.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Is it a right angled or straight cable?
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Copy Jeff Beck - Hold it between the two fingers of yours not holding the pick.

Altnernately, buy angled cables. Or loosen the trem bar a revolution or two.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by necrosis1193
Copy Jeff Beck - Hold it between the two fingers of yours not holding the pick.

Altnernately, buy angled cables. Or loosen the trem bar a revolution or two.

Angled cable has the same problem, holding it in my and gets in the way of my playing and I can't loosen it enough to get out of the way.

I know, I am being difficult.
Take it out
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by sammo_boi
Take [the whammy bar] out

Will the vibrato bar still adjust the pitch if it is not connected to the guitar?
Well do you use it much? You can still do light vibrato without the whammy bar in. I've never had this problem with a strat before. Why do you want the bar to swing all the way around? Just tighten it up until it holds in a place that is comfortable to you.
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
I assume you play a strat, since I have the same problem with mine, I just leave it on the side of the cable my hand is on. Otherwise you could loosen it enough so you could bring it back over the strings to put it on the other side.
loop the cable back over the strap anchor point.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by dr_john

Can't believe I didn't think of this This would be the easiest way TS
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by dr_john

Its the metal part of the cable that gets in the way...
Quote by Uber_Kitty

Well there is something wrong with your guitar then because Fender wouldn't design it like that if it was going to cause a problem.

Maybe buy a cable with a shorter metal part, to state the obvious
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by Uber_Kitty

oh OK.

in that case i don't understand why it's happening. i have 2 MIA strats and don't have this problem.

try and get a look at some other strats and see if the problem is the same, if not then it's something peculiar with your guitar.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Uber_Kitty
I want to be able to swing it all the way around.

The problem is that you want to do something pointless and impractical with the bar. Play more, do silly whammy tricks less.
Quote by Uber_Kitty
My cable is in the way of the vibrato arm on my strat.
Is there some easy solution that I am not seeing? I don't want to have to "deal with it".

I think you'll either have deal with it or maybe try swinging the bar over the top instead. You could also bend the bar to clear it, I suppose, and you might get clearance over a right angle jack as has been suggested.

It's just the nature of the flawed design that is the Stratocaster. (But we love them just the same!)
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
Maybe use a different kind of cable? I'm having a bit of trouble visualizing your problem.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
yeah i think that's gonna happen.

wireless? even that might be in the way.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
just looked closely at my 2 strats, the bar clears the lead by more than an inch on the strat deluxe and by half an inch on the standard strat.

conclusion - your whammy bar has been bent downward at some time. some players have been known to do this (hendrix for one) to suit their own style. is your strat pre-owned?

maybe hendrix owned it
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Ratraisin
It's just the nature of the flawed design that is the Stratocaster.

Or not.
I've never played a Strat that had the OP's problem.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Uber_Kitty
Will the vibrato bar still adjust the pitch if it is not connected to the guitar?

oh yeah,

just wave it around your head, it will still adjust the pitch of the strings buddy.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
can we have pics of the problem? i'm not understanding the problem too well visually while holding my strat with the bar in it. there's no problem with me.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
I know I posted before but thought I would post again. Buy a cable witha a smaller metal part on the end. I looked at my strat and realized that with some cables the wammy bar can't get past and with some it can.
Quote by Tom 1.0
oh yeah,

just wave it around your head, it will still adjust the pitch of the strings buddy.

Is there a chant or incantation I say?
Quote by sammo_boi
Well there is something wrong with your guitar then because Fender wouldn't design it like that if it was going to cause a problem.

Maybe buy a cable with a shorter metal part, to state the obvious

lolwut?

Quote by Uber_Kitty

that depends; do you have the power of telekinesis?

Seriously, though, you can kinda wobble the trem bit (not the bar) with the palm of your hand if it's floating. But yeah, it's not gonna be as good as the bar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Tell me if this is normal: When my bridge lies flat against my guitar, the vibrato bar is angled.

angled down towards your guitar or angled away from it?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
angled down towards your guitar or angled away from it?

the problem here is that you're playing the turret of an M1A1 Abrams tank.

But seriously, I don't see any problem from that picture. Unless your strat has a Floyd Rose and you're attempting up pitch bends or whatever they're called, then there shouldn't be any problem with it hitting the jack.
Main Gear:
Epi Les Paul Ultra II
Bastard Telecaster
Pignose Legendary 7-100

Manga I'm reading!!!
Bleach, OP, Naruto, GE, Rosario+Vampire, Soul Eater, Kyou Kara Ore Wa, Kimi No Iru Machi, HSD Kenichi, and many more!!!
that first, short, typically threaded, part of the bar should be coming out of the guitar at a 90 degree angle. not like in the picture. im not even sure how the heck the bar goes into the bridge like that.

i just pulled out my strat and the only way i can get it to do what you are saying is to use a right angle plug and hold it straight out from the jack. with a simple straight plug there is no way i can get it to be in the way. it sounds like either the hole in your bridge is messed up, or the bar is bent strangely.
My Mary Kaye's bar is like that. It still swings fairly freely though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Or not.
I've never played a Strat that had the OP's problem.

Yeah, some other posters say Not as well. I confess I don't have a stable of Strats to compare, but my Squier Strat did the same thing, and my HW1 does it as well and I've seen other Strats do it. On my HW1, when attaching the bar it starts hitting the jack after about 9 turns in.

Frankly, I think it's all the angle of the bend on the bar. These are not high tech parts and variance would not be critical to play, so they are probably mass produced somewhere.

That's just speculation, though. If we're dealing with horizontal (the body) and vertical (the trem stem) planes, then the angle of that bend is about the only thing I could see that would be different.

Angle of the trem (floating or not) would also have an effect.
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
Quote by Fantum1337
the problem here is that you're playing the turret of an M1A1 Abrams tank.

Quote by jof1029
that first, short, typically threaded, part of the bar should be coming out of the guitar at a 90 degree angle. not like in the picture. im not even sure how the heck the bar goes into the bridge like that.

+1

some trem bars have a kink in the middle to let them sit up more from the guitar's body.

I know the trem arm on my tokai strat gets in the way of the guitar lead.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?