to start off i have a HUGE GAS PROBLEM. ok. i admitted it. i suppose that is the first step.

i am looking for something voxy now, to round out my amp collection (maybe i shouldn't say collection, as every damn one of them gets used, and used quite a bit). here is what i have and what its uses are...

Egnater Renegade. clean cleans dirty blues and harder dirty blues.
Orange Dual Terror. classic overdrive, and sexy slightly overdriven chimey cleans
Egnater Tweaker. easy to haul around, i like the marshall tone i get out of it.
Trace Elliot Speed Twin (my favorite). the best brit tone machine i have ever heard. needless to say that is the reason i am not buying a splawn.
Jet City JCA2112RC. high gain classic rock/hard driven blues.
Genz Benz M-Line 200 Bass Amp. use for bass.
Peavey Valveking 100. brootz. getting rid of for 6505
Randall RH150D G3. getting rid of for 6505.

so i want a Vox, i am just unsure of which specific model.
*i like the top boost channel, so it needs that.
*i really like the tremolo, but thats not a deal breaker.
*reverb is very important to have.
*i am unsure about the difference between the AC 15 or AC 30, but 15 watts would be enough. 30 watts would also be fine.
*i want a combo only. preferably 1x12", but 2x12" is not a deal breaker. i do not want a head.
*i will not pay more than $700 and i am willing to buy used, but my local craigslist absolutely sucks. i have GC and Sam Ash nearby, so i would be able to check them out, but GC doesn't carry hardly any vox, and i don't think our Sam Ash does at all.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
man i think it's time you stepped up from baby amps. you've got a tone already.

http://www.valvetechamps.com/theamp.htm

I've seen these go for under 1000.

http://www.morganamps.com/amps/dag15/dag15.php

I've seen those go for about a 1000.

actually lemme explain

Quote by trashedlostfdup
to start off i have a HUGE GAS PROBLEM. ok. i admitted it. i suppose that is the first step.

i am looking for something voxy now, to round out my amp collection (maybe i shouldn't say collection, as every damn one of them gets used, and used quite a bit). here is what i have and what its uses are...

Egnater Renegade. clean cleans dirty blues and harder dirty blues.
Orange Dual Terror. classic overdrive, and sexy slightly overdriven chimey cleans
Egnater Tweaker. easy to haul around, i like the marshall tone i get out of it.
Trace Elliot Speed Twin (my favorite). the best brit tone machine i have ever heard. needless to say that is the reason i am not buying a splawn.
Jet City JCA2112RC. high gain classic rock/hard driven blues.
Genz Benz M-Line 200 Bass Amp. use for bass.
Peavey Valveking 100. brootz. getting rid of for 6505
Randall RH150D G3. getting rid of for 6505.

so i want a Vox, i am just unsure of which specific model.
*i like the top boost channel, so it needs that.
*i really like the tremolo, but thats not a deal breaker.
*reverb is very important to have.
*i am unsure about the difference between the AC 15 or AC 30, but 15 watts would be enough. 30 watts would also be fine.
*i want a combo only. preferably 1x12", but 2x12" is not a deal breaker. i do not want a head.
*i will not pay more than $700 and i am willing to buy used, but my local craigslist absolutely sucks. i have GC and Sam Ash nearby, so i would be able to check them out, but GC doesn't carry hardly any vox, and i don't think our Sam Ash does at all.

I'm not saying oh only fancy amps are good. You've got a lot of money invested in amps right now though. I understand that you want versatility. All the amps you have save the Tweaker have a lot in common.

The valveking is a 6l6 amp that your replacing with a 6505 which is a high gain 6l6 amp.
The dual terror runs 4 el84s in pushpull, the jca runs 2 el84s push pull, you're thinking about getting a vox ac15 or ac30 which are again el84s in a pushpull configuration. The ac15/30 that's being sold now unless you spring for the handwired version is only really loosely based on the circuit responsible for the classic vox sound.

What you're going to end up with is 3 amps that that either derive their distortion from their preamp or overdriven el84s. You do have versatility in your rig but I've played all the amps that you have save the randall and the peavey. You're looking at something like 90 percent overlap in your tones between the amps.

Something like the Mesa Transatlantic could do 90 percent of what you have already and give you the option of 2 channels as well as multiple wattages. It just doesn't have the absolute amount of gain that the jca or the orange has. However, it will do your non ef86 vox sound as well as all the mid gain crunch stuff that your other amps do.

Something like the fyrette memphis will cover everything you have already and then some. It gives you two channels, variable voicing on either channel, the option to run in 30watt or 18watt mode, a true spring reverb and an fx loop.

I dunno obviously you should do what makes you happy but there's a lot of good used deals right now.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Sep 30, 2010,
Quote by AcousticMirror
man i think it's time you stepped up from baby amps. you've got a tone already.

http://www.valvetechamps.com/theamp.htm

I've seen these go for under 1000.

http://www.morganamps.com/amps/dag15/dag15.php

I've seen those go for about a 1000.

actually lemme explain

I'm not saying oh only fancy amps are good. You've got a lot of money invested in amps right now though. I understand that you want versatility. All the amps you have save the Tweaker have a lot in common.

The valveking is a 6l6 amp that your replacing with a 6505 which is a high gain 6l6 amp.
The dual terror runs 4 el84s in pushpull, the jca runs 2 el84s push pull, you're thinking about getting a vox ac15 or ac30 which are again el84s in a pushpull configuration. The ac15/30 that's being sold now unless you spring for the handwired version is only really loosely based on the circuit responsible for the classic vox sound.

What you're going to end up with is 3 amps that that either derive their distortion from their preamp or overdriven el84s
. You do have versatility in your rig but I've played all the amps that you have save the randall and the peavey. You're looking at something like 90 percent overlap in your tones between the amps.

Something like the Mesa Transatlantic could do 90 percent of what you have already and give you the option of 2 channels as well as multiple wattages. It just doesn't have the absolute amount of gain that the jca or the orange has. However, it will do your non ef86 vox sound as well as all the mid gain crunch stuff that your other amps do.

Something like the fyrette memphis will cover everything you have already and then some. It gives you two channels, variable voicing on either channel, the option to run in 30watt or 18watt mode, a true spring reverb and an fx loop.

I dunno obviously you should do what makes you happy but there's a lot of good used deals right now.

i agree that it would be my third push/pull el84, but to me, an AC15 sounds way different than my Dual Terror, which sounds very different than my JCA.

as far as other tube combos go, i have two amps with EL34's switchable with 6L6's (renegade and speed twin), although the speed twin sounds so much more british than the renegade does. i realize that the valve king and 6505 both are high gain 6L6, which is different from the other amps. i don't really think i could buy anything at this point that wouldn't over lap quite a bit. and i just don't understand how the JCA sounds similar to the JCA at all, with the exception of the EL84's.

thanks for the ideas on the fryette memphis, i will check them out. what is a good price for one? just so i have a frame of reference.

also, when i was mentioning picking up a Vox, i was moreso planning to buy used and maybe a bit older or a model that is more true to the origional circuitry (which i am unsure that i can find in that price range). i don't want the Vox AC15C1, i played that model before and it didn't leave me that impressed. also i guess i don't need it to be a Vox amp, just something that is similar to an AC15 or AC30 in circuitry and tone.

also regarding the mesa, the multiple wattage things isn't a big deal, nor having channels that go beyond the AC15/30 tone, as i use an A/B switch between two amps most of the time to get the best of both worlds, and not the channel switcher on the amp. i will look into the mesa, as i have always liked mesas in the past.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Might as well just get a Night Train, you have every other low wattage, brand name amp in existence anyway, besides it
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Well ok. as long as it makes you happy. I'm just saying that with all the money you've spent on those heads, combos, and cabs you'd have enough for some really top shelf gear. That's all. I like the amps you have but just wanted to bring up that point.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
You should check out the AC4 and the Night Train. I liked both for what they were.

for some reason i wasn't a fan of the nightrain. i havent played it in a long time, so maybe i would like it more.

it may seem as i am hooked on low wattage tube amps, but indeed i am not. i bought the jet city as a platform to learn how to mod, as it seems mod friendly, and simple to work on. i bought the tweaker, so i could haul it to band practice, where i can get multiple tones for a wider range of music. the only one that i really bought to have was the Dual Terror, which i absolutely love.

i guess, what i am really looking for are a few past AC15/AC30 models that would sell for around $700 used maybe more, that are better than the C1 and what is out there today. maybe from the 90's? i dont know.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by AcousticMirror
Well ok. as long as it makes you happy. I'm just saying that with all the money you've spent on those heads, combos, and cabs you'd have enough for some really top shelf gear. That's all. I like the amps you have but just wanted to bring up that point.

i didn't pay that much for them. all of these prices are new and in flawless condition. i paid $285 for the tweaker from M123, $293 for the JCA2112, i paid $640 for the Dual Terror. add that all up, $1218, less a $25 credit i still have on my M123 account = $1193. it wouldn't buy as much as you think. i get really good prices brand new, in most cases cheaper than used. so its usually better for me to pick up some thing that would be carried by your average retailer that i can get at a discounted price, than to buy something more exotic, and pay full retail (not MSRP, as that all is BS), as in typical selling price.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I second the night train bid. Recently played one and fell in love with it, and I don't even really like vox amps all that much. beautiful sounding little powerhouse, great for hard rock. had way more gain on tap than i expected
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
Quote by trashedlostfdup

it may seem as i am hooked on low wattage tube amps, but indeed i am not. i bought the jet city as a platform to learn how to mod, as it seems mod friendly, and simple to work on. i bought the tweaker, so i could haul it to band practice, where i can get multiple tones for a wider range of music. the only one that i really bought to have was the Dual Terror, which i absolutely love.

i guess, what i am really looking for are a few past AC15/AC30 models that would sell for around $700 used maybe more, that are better than the C1 and what is out there today. maybe from the 90's? i dont know.

I think what you are doing amp wise makes sense. You can't get a good all in one anyway unless you do something like AxeFX. I have yet to find an amp that can do the Vox tone accurately (not actively searching tho). Most all of your purchases are solid investments. Should have no trouble reselling to fund other gear etc. Also, feel free to join my group AA. I get Amp Gas so bad I can't sit down.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I think what you are doing amp wise makes sense. You can't get a good all in one anyway unless you do something like AxeFX. I have yet to find an amp that can do the Vox tone accurately (not actively searching tho). Most all of your purchases are solid investments. Should have no trouble reselling to fund other gear etc. Also, feel free to join my group AA. I get Amp Gas so bad I can't sit down.

that is kind of what i am doing. i like having a wide plethora of good tube tones.

i also agree that nothing but a Vox or a clone does a great AC tone, not even the tweaker, which actually does the AC very poorly IMO.

also, i plan on starting some form of studio, obviously i will not be able to invest $250,000 and fetch professional rates in the begining (or maybe ever) with the $35,000 i plan to invest, but if i have a variety of good quality amps, i think i could do pretty good, but thats down the road, and life happens, so I will take it a day at a time. most of the bands around here don't have the best equipment (lots of spiders/MG's/valvekings (i am getting rid of mine... lol)), so i figure decent tube amps would go a long way.

i will look more into the night train. thanks.
i just joined AA. thanks for the tip. although i do not plan to recover. lol.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
i have looked into the night train, i like it more than i remember, but it doesn't sound as voxy as i would like. to me it sounds more similar to a orange terror head than a AC15 or 30 does. also i like the vox ac amps partiallly due to the way the tones are more flexible with the top cut, and only haveing the bass and treble, and how they interact with the mids.

i dont know.

what would be a good price on a valvetech hayseed? i checked those out.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!