Page 1 of 2
I was watching the latest "Real Time", I'm sure lots of people on here watch it too if you have HBO seeing as how this forum is rather left leaning . Anyways, during it, the Republican dude on the far left of the table was talking about how he was agnostic and "I have no clue, I have no clue!" and Bill responded by saying something along the lines of "If you'd watched my movie Religulous, which obviously you haven't, you'll see over and over that I say 'I don't know'"

So which is he? I'd gotten the impression from his recent work (his latest stand up and his latest real times, especially the ones with Richard Dawkins as a guest) that he'd gone from agnostic to full blown atheist.

Any thoughts?
he doesnt believe germ theory and hes not funny.thats all you need to know
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by catempire

The only thing I really had a problem with was the whole "abolishing the Senate" idea.

I agree, Bill Mahr is a tool whenever I don't agree with him, though.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
I totally agreed with him on abolishing the Senate. It's absurd that the smallest states in the union (Delaware for one) have the same representation as Texas or California.
He could be an agnostic atheist.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Strongly atheist-leaning agnostic as far as I know. He's also, on occasion, a vaccine denialist, and I've never understood why people worship him so.
Last edited by webbtje at Sep 30, 2010,
Quote by WNxScythe
I totally agreed with him on abolishing the Senate. It's absurd that the smallest states in the union (Delaware for one) have the same representation as Texas or California.

That is what the House of Representatives is for, and they passed Cap and Trade.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
I was more referring to his terrible jokes with terrible delivery backed by forced audience laughter, then him talking down to the guy that disagreed with him. Plus his opinions do not seem very carefully considered considering how strongly he puts them.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Holy Crap.

I love you more than life itself.
Yes but to have another legislative branch that ultimately can stop legislation the House passes where a state with a minuscule population has the same power as a state with a gigantic population????? Cmon, that's absurd. Maybe if it was the other way around it would be better.
Last edited by WNxScythe at Sep 30, 2010,
Quote by catempire
I was more referring to his terrible jokes with terrible delivery backed by forced audience laughter, then him talking down to the guy that disagreed with him.

Guess we just have completely different tastes when it comes to comedy.
^^It's appropriate given American political history/culture.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Holy Crap.

Quote by catempire
I was more referring to his terrible jokes with terrible delivery backed by forced audience laughter, then him talking down to the guy that disagreed with him. Plus his opinions do not seem very carefully considered considering how strongly he puts them.

Much as Hitchens isn't my favourite person in the world:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HECI4QK_mXA
Quote by catempire
^^It's appropriate given American political history/culture.

Oh I know all about it. It was a compromise. But it was a stupid compromise.
Quote by webbtje
Much as Hitchens isn't my favourite person in the world:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HECI4QK_mXA

The problem for me is that Maher wishes he was Hitchens (although different politically) but he lacks the wit or intellect. Which just makes him a really annoying guy.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Holy Crap.

how is aboloshing the senate absurd? It keeps the balance of power between states. Why should a state with a smaller population have less of a say than a state with a larger population? The whole point is to have each state fairly and equally represented. But hey, who needs fairness in government right?
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Both.

Quote by aradine
how is aboloshing the senate absurd? It keeps the balance of power between states. Why should a state with a smaller population have less of a say than a state with a larger population? The whole point is to have each state fairly and equally represented. But hey, who needs fairness in government right?

So a state with 1000 people should have as much say as a state with 10,000,000 people? Granted I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you or your argument, but that sounds absurd to me.
Last edited by Mudmen190 at Sep 30, 2010,
bill maher changes his mind about everything all the time. the guy's a fool and the poster boy for liberalism: can NOT think for himself.

he's done basically the same thing i've done in switching religious and political sides multiple times. but the difference is i was 15, still learning and didn't have my own national TV show on ABC. i remember back in the PI days he was just to the point of nonsensical. at one point he couldn't believe that dave foley didn't believe in god. they took the transcript off the internet (big surprise there) but they still have the part where bill says, "i believe in god, just not the bureacracy."

he's even worse with politics. guy calls himself a libertarian and literally five minutes later will start complaining about the free market. and the one episode of real time where they're talking about some dad who was lied to by the mother when they slept together. she said she was infertile and that he shouldn't wear a condom. she got pregnant, had the baby and is now milking him dry with child support. he went to court to, under the pretense of roe v. wade and the 14th amendment's equal protection clause, say that he had an equal amount of right as the mother did to not support the child. she would do it through abortion; so he should have the choice to not pay child support. i.e. there's no reason after conception that the father's fate should lie in the hands of the mother's decision.

and of course, bill, instead of appealing to the logic of this argument (it really is sound logically) starts just riding on gloria steinham's coat tails saying he's a dead beat father, shouldn't have stuck it in her, OWN UP TO YOUR RESPONSIBILITY etc.

but you'll NEVER hear them say that to a woman. they just sympathize with her like she's a victim instead of saying "deal with it. you made a mistake of having unprotected sex, now deal with it and raise the child. should've kept your legs closed."

bill's just an idiot. there aren't many people whose deaths will elicit cheers from me. bill's will be one.
#DTWD
Bill Maher is a liberal idiot.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Wow this really DID bring out all the hardcore right wingers on here. Didn't even know there were any.
I don't really know much about Bill (even less about politics), but the reason I don't like him is because of when he released Religulous or whatever it was called. There was a scene from the trailer where he was explaining to people the beliefs of scientologists or whatever and it was supposed to be all hilarious, and I just felt like the whole making fun of Scientology boat had sailed.
Just don't like his comedy, or him, but that's just IMO.
Satanist
E Family
E-Son to OldiebutNewbie
E-Brother to Andrea55
E-Brother to guitarxo
E-Uncle to Basti95
Quote by Ur all $h1t
He could be an agnostic atheist.

Good try, no points for not knowing that the difference between the two makes them incompatible.

Agnostics believe in a higher power or higher order of consciousness, but reject religious assembly...

Atheists don't believe in a higher power, and positive atheists tend to assemble to reject God.
Quote by L2112Lif
Agnostics believe in a higher power or higher order of consciousness, but reject religious assembly...

Quote by Nickpocalypse
I don't really know much about Bill (even less about politics), but the reason I don't like him is because of when he released Religulous or whatever it was called. There was a scene from the trailer where he was explaining to people the beliefs of scientologists or whatever and it was supposed to be all hilarious, and I just felt like the whole making fun of Scientology boat had sailed.
Just don't like his comedy, or him, but that's just IMO.

Not only that, he actually got a lot of things wrong about Scientology. He called the Thetan something which prevents you from being happy. But a thetan is your soul. Which immediately discredits Bill's knowledge on the subject.
Quote by L2112Lif
Good try, no points for not knowing that the difference between the two makes them incompatible.

Atheists don't believe in a higher power, and positive atheists tend to assemble to reject God.
Someone who is agnostic is someone who acknowledges they can't be sure either way. An atheist agnostic is someone who realizes they can't be sure, but lean towards the idea that there is no God. A Christian agnostic is a Christian. That's why the word Faith is used with them.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Sep 30, 2010,
Quote by L2112Lif

agnosticism means you believe we cant know whether god exists,what your describing is deism
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by Eggmond
agnosticism means you believe we cant know whether god exists,what your describing is deism

No... Deism is when you believe that everything was created by God, but he doesn't get involved with our affairs after the creation.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
No... Deism is when you believe that everything was created by God, but he doesn't get involved with our affairs after the creation.

And agnosticism describes a claim of knowledge, whereas atheism describes a claim of belief.
Quote by WNxScythe
Wow this really DID bring out all the hardcore right wingers on here. Didn't even know there were any.

Most of the people criticizing him are at least slightly left-of-center, barring a few exceptions.
Quote by I.O.T.M

+ >9000
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by izbbass
+ >9000

What's funny is that the person who posted that is an anarcho-communist. You just approved of an anarcho-communist's post.

So, when's your Tea Party membership getting revoked?
Quote by I.O.T.M

This. He is to the left what Glenn Beck is to the right (or at least how many people perceive him), minus the massive popularity.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by Holy Katana
What's funny is that the person who posted that is an anarcho-communist. You just approved of an anarcho-communist's post.

So, when's your Tea Party membership getting revoked?

I know I did

And it's not going to. I can agree with people who have different beliefs that me can't I?

And I just got the "Don't Tread On Me" flag yesterday
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Page 1 of 2