Page 1 of 2
I'm trying to achieve Gilmour's fuzz/OD tone on albums like "Dark Side of the Moon" and "Wish You Were Here" on a budget. I've looked at the Skreddy Lunar Module and Pink Flesh but they are difficult to find used since $195 is bit too much for me. I wish I could afford the BK Butler Tube Driver.

My budget is about US$110 brand new or used, I don't care.

I already have a Black EHX/Russian big muff but I'm looking for others to experiment with. I want a fuzz that can achieve a range of tones, from something resembling more of a smooth OD than fuzz, to "sharper" and much more aggressive fuzz.

I'll be playing through an MIM HSS strat and a Laney TT50-112.

thanks

EDIT: I've actually sort of got the tone I want with my Pod Farm setup (listen to the top 2 clips in my profile), just not with my real set up.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Last edited by HellBoy9393 at Sep 30, 2010,
Thanks. I forgot about the SUF pedals. Decent price too!
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Any cheaper options?
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Do you have an OD? Have you tried stacking a mild overdrive with your muff? Its not gonna be the same tone by any means, but it will get you a little closer. With my NYC muff and a Dist+ I can get what 80% of people would call a passable Gilmour tone. (Though those 80% are the ones that don't know jack. )
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Do you have an OD? Have you tried stacking a mild overdrive with your muff? Its not gonna be the same tone by any means, but it will get you a little closer. With my NYC muff and a Dist+ I can get what 80% of people would call a passable Gilmour tone. (Though those 80% are the ones that don't know jack. )

I boost my muff with a Bad Monkey. It doesn't do too great of a job since it's OD is very boxy and squashed-sounding.

My "Gilmour tone" at the moment is passable too, just not as good as it could be
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Somewhere in the pretentiousness and self-indulgence and lack of musical finesse of the 1970's. I'm sure you'll find it there.

Meanwhile, myself and guys like Devin Townsend, Bulb, Frederik Thordendaal etc will just be hanging out in the 21st century and taking music forward...

Which, y'know, also happens to be the PRESENT. Lol.
Quote by silent caution
When i was younger i used to pee in peoples shoes and blame their dog
Quote by Chylyn
Somewhere in the pretentiousness and self-indulgence and lack of musical finesse of the 1970's. I'm sure you'll find it there.

Meanwhile, myself and guys like Devin Townsend, Bulb, Frederik Thordendaal etc will just be hanging out in the 21st century and taking music forward...

Cool story..bro

What is this, a diss on Pink Floyd?
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Didn't Gilmour use a Big Muff for his fuzz? Or am I going crazy?

EDIT: I'm losing it. He used a Fuzz Face on both those albums...not sure where I got the BM idea from...But there are plenty of FF clones around that you can look at.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Last edited by mcraddict81592 at Sep 30, 2010,
Quote by mcraddict81592
Didn't Gilmour use a Big Muff for his fuzz? Or am I going crazy?

Yeah he did, but big muffs have changed a lot. Also back in his day, EHX's QC wasn't all that great, which is why buying vintage muffs off the bay is a crapshoot; some will sound like utter crap and some will sound great.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by HellBoy9393
I boost my muff with a Bad Monkey. It doesn't do too great of a job since it's OD is very boxy and squashed-sounding.

My "Gilmour tone" at the moment is passable too, just not as good as it could be

Well if you want to get REALLY close, then I'd go with the SUF WtrPlyr said, and hunt down a Tube Driver. That won't be cheap but it sounds like you're going for more than passable. That's not even considering the amp.

Quote by Chylyn

I could care less if you don't like Pink Floyd, but saying they were pretentious and lacked musical finesse, specifically about Gilmour, is downright idiotic. Say what you will about the music, but Gilmour is THE finesse guy.

I suggest you look up the words 'pretentious' and 'finesse' in the dictionary, then listen to some Pink Floyd and some modern music and say that again.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Sep 30, 2010,
Quote by Chylyn

Cool spam bro.
No one cares.
Stop feeding the troll .

While we're still talking about that, I don't mind modern music at all. I'll listen to some great modern independent artists like M. Ward, My Morning Jacket, Conor Oberst and the likes, but it's very ignorant to claim a whole decade is filled with pretentiousness and lack of musical finesse.

Even the 2000s aren't a decade filled with pretentiousness and lack of musical finesse, if you look past the mainstream music.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by stymye
all you need is an od/dist pedal and a compressor...

Oh it doesn't matter what od or distortion? Doesn't matter what compressor? Doesn't matter what guitar? Doesn't matter what amp?

Take a second to read the thread before you make yourself look like an ass next time.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
did you read the original post?
his budget is $110<<<...and a couple pedals will get him closer than any thing else for the money.(good od with lots of sustain)

I don't know who you are, but you should try to show a little respect when someone posts an honest opinion that fits the situation.

Quote by tubetime86
Oh it doesn't matter what od or distortion? Doesn't matter what compressor? Doesn't matter what guitar? Doesn't matter what amp?

Take a second to read the thread before you make yourself look like an ass next time.
Quote by stymye
did you read the original post?
his budget is $110<<<...and a couple pedals will get him closer than any thing else for the money.(good od with lots of sustain)

I don't know who you are, but you should try to show a little respect when someone posts an honest opinion that fits the situation.

Read the whole thread. He has an OD and a muff that he says gets him close, but he's looking to get closer. Any generic OD and compressor is not going to get him closer than he already is.

I'm sorry you feel you deserve more respect, but you didn't take the time to read the thread, or to type out a real response, so I didn't take the time to show you any respect.

Quote by HellBoy9393
I want a fuzz that can achieve a range of tones, from something resembling more of a smooth OD than fuzz, to "sharper" and much more aggressive fuzz..

This is from the OP. He wants a fuzz and you recommend an OD? Not even a particular OD, just an OD or distortion in general... That's not an 'honest opinion that fits the situation.' Sorry.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
TS - Sorry I'm double posting so this doesn't get lumped with that bullshit above. I don't know why this didn't occur to me, but have you thought about a kit? I should be getting in the mail today a big muff kit from generalguitargadgets.com. It cost me 60 shipped and I'm going to build it to civil war muff specs for Gilmourish tones. I'm thinking that plus the Dist+ I built will be a pretty damn good Gilmour sound... But I can tell you tonight if I'm correct.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Chill out folks. I anticipated a response like that. Stymye I think I need more than just an OD + comp, though I should get myself a compressor. Gilmour used a Boss CS-2, am I right? If that's anything like the CS-3 then I won't bother with it even though it's what he uses. I bought a Boss CS-3 a few months back and returned it the next day because it can't be used with my amp's gain anywhere past noon.

@ tube: thanks let me know how it goes. $60 is hecka cheap, though it'll probably cost quite a bit more to ship to Hong Kong.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

dude the short vibrato arm gives all the tone. srs.

i think his tone is awesome. people tend to recommend Si fuzz over Ge fuzz for his sound.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
.....and a compressor..it doesn't matter what brand ,,it's used sparingly..but very important for that tone/sustain he gets
Quote by HellBoy9393
@ tube: thanks let me know how it goes. $60 is hecka cheap, though it'll probably cost quite a bit more to ship to Hong Kong.

Well shit, I didn't see Hong Kong until now... I'm sure there are some guys doing the same thing over there. Or a better option, I've built pedals from GGG's site by using their materials list and instructions, but sourcing my own parts. I felt bad doing it, but in your case you don't really have a choice.

Here's the bill of materials for the Ram's Head version that you would likely want:
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_bmp_ram_bom.pdf?phpMyAdmin=78482479fd7e7fc3768044a841b3e85a

Find all those parts somewhere locally and you're all set. It'd likely be cheaper than $60.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
^^ If I bought myself a Boss CS-3 I can guarantee I wouldn't get his tone. I'd just get a screeching mess from that joke of a pedal which can't handle a mild amount of gain.

EDIT: to tube, you mean this? http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_bmp_ram_sc.pdf?phpMyAdmin=78482479fd7e7fc3768044a841b3e85a
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

^Ya I edited... Sorry I wasn't paying attention. What you posted is the wiring diagram though, check my link... Its just a list of what to buy.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by stymye
.....and a compressor..it doesn't matter what brand ,,it's used sparingly..but very important for that tone/sustain he gets

A compressor isn't as important for his tone as you make it to be.
Quote by WtrPlyr
A compressor isn't as important for his tone as you make it to be.

+1 A lot of the time his sustain and compression is from the muff, which has a different flavor from most compressors.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by HellBoy9393
^^ If I bought myself a Boss CS-3 I can guarantee I wouldn't get his tone. I'd just get a screeching mess from that joke of a pedal which can't handle a mild amount of gain.

EDIT: to tube, you mean this? http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_bmp_ram_sc.pdf?phpMyAdmin=78482479fd7e7fc3768044a841b3e85a

the compressor goes before any gain pedal,also it shouldn't be dialed up to the screeching point ,,,just a little goes a long way or it will start to suck your tone.

he used a fuzz face and a mxr dynacomp (along with some modulation efx)
Last edited by stymye at Sep 30, 2010,
Quote by stymye
the compressor goes before any gain pedal,also it shouldn't be dialed up to the screeching point ,,,just a little goes a long way or it will start to suck your tone

I had it first in the chain. Maybe it was just a faulty pedal. I could leave the sustain knob at about 9:30 without the noise kicking in, but at that level it was so subtle it was pretty much useless. I realize that Gilmour's compressor might be very subtle, but I won't be playing Pink Floyd forever.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by stymye

Will you stop making incredibly vague statements that you can't back up? He's used TONS of different stuff over the years and people have spent decades documenting it all and trying to copy his tones, many unsuccessfully. You are boiling down a huge amount of information into single sentences and its really aggravating.

Read this site, this guy basically dedicated his life to Gilmour tone: http://www.gilmourish.com/
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I understand what you mean.

I played in a cover band and we did a few Pink Floyd songs from that era, I was never able to cop the perfect Gilmour tone but came close enough, alot of it is in his style of playing and use of the trem bar...never had a single complaint about not matching his tone exactly,,it 'sounded' close enough pink floyd to most people.

ofcourse It helped that I was using a (partscaster) strat
Quote by stymye
the compressor goes before any gain pedal,also it shouldn't be dialed up to the screeching point ,,,just a little goes a long way or it will start to suck your tone.

dude, face it, TS is not looking for a compressor right now. stop bringing it up

and +1 to the a Muff kit. be sure to check out BYOC's Muff clone as well.
http://buildyourownclone.com/beaver.html
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Thanks for the links. I hope I still have the soldering skills I learned in Design Technology class in 8th grade

Any chance my job could be made easier by modding my Black Russian big muff to Ram's head specs? Or is it just too different?
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by HellBoy9393
Thanks for the links. I hope I still have the soldering skills I learned in Design Technology class in 8th grade

Any chance my job could be made easier by modding my Black Russian big muff to Ram's head specs? Or is it just too different?

the circuits and compenents changed from Muff to Muff, IIRC, so you'd be better off starting from scratch. from what I remember the Muff circuits, especially the newer ones, are a bitch to mod.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
I'm trying to contribute to this discussion ,, you on the other hand have something up your a**,,, please stop pestering me ,, the object here is not to discuss every piece of gear Gilmour used down to the serial number.. it's how to get something closer on a budget. ..I'm gonna go play my guitar for a while and let out some aggression I'm feeling build up.

Quote by tubetime86
Will you stop making incredibly vague statements that you can't back up? He's used TONS of different stuff over the years and people have spent decades documenting it all and trying to copy his tones, many unsuccessfully. You are boiling down a huge amount of information into single sentences and its really aggravating.

Read this site, this guy basically dedicated his life to Gilmour tone: http://www.gilmourish.com/
Quote by HellBoy9393

Its not too tough. You just need to really take your time with the PCB and get everything nice and tight to the board. Then wiring up the pots and all that is simple, just plan out your layout before you start. Basically if you can solder proficiently, and have a little patience its easy.

I wouldn't bother modding it... AFAIK there are some major differences in the voicing so you'd be swapping out a lot of parts.

Quote by Jhachey22
the circuits and compenents changed from Muff to Muff, IIRC, so you'd be better off starting from scratch. from what I remember the Muff circuits, especially the newer ones, are a bitch to mod.

Excellent point... I ruined my NYC muff because the traces burn off so easily. That board is a huge pain to mess with.

Stymye: You keep saying how to get 'close enough' but you fail to see that the TS knows how to get close enough, and wants to get closer. You are not contributing to the discussion at all. He doesn't want a compressor and you have yet to even name a model of anything so go away.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
from the link YOU posted

Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face (BC108)
Vox wah wah (1973)
Cry Baby wah wah (1974-75)
Colorsound Power Boost
Univox Uni-Vibe
MXR Phase 90 (added in 1974)
MXR Dynacomp (added in 1975)
DeArmond volume pedal
- see details for this board below.

Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face (for lap steel guitar, 1974-75)
DeArmond volume pedal (for lap steel guitar, 1974-75)

Binson Echorec II
Binson Echorec PE 603
EMS Synthi Hi-Fli guitar effect processor
Conn Strobo Tuners (added in 1974)
EMS Synthi A (On the Run)

Quote by tubetime86
Its not too tough. You just need to really take your time with the PCB and get everything nice and tight to the board. Then wiring up the pots and all that is simple, just plan out your layout before you start. Basically if you can solder proficiently, and have a little patience its easy.

I wouldn't bother modding it... AFAIK there are some major differences in the voicing so you'd be swapping out a lot of parts.

Excellent point... I ruined my NYC muff because the traces burn off so easily. That board is a huge pain to mess with.

Stymye: You keep saying how to get 'close enough' but you fail to see that the TS knows how to get close enough, and wants to get closer. You are not contributing to the discussion at all. He doesn't want a compressor and you have yet to even name a model of anything so go away.
Congrats. What's more difficult is to name something he never used. Even a broken clock...

Mind if we get back to the TS's actual question?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
The thing I find most essential is delay. I'd recommend a malekko 616, the way I run is that I turned up the internal gain boost of the Malekko so it slightly overdrives the amp and then hit it with my Musket and I get awesome Gilmour tones. I get you could achieve something similar to the boosted muff sound I get by not setting the BM to full boost just turn the gain down, set level to taste.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

+1 to Ben.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Page 1 of 2