Hi there,

I'm planning a budget cab build, in order to save and raise funds for a telecaster build!

Anyways, the cab I'm going to build will be a 1x12 slanted cab. It will be built from 18mm MDF and covered in white tolex, black grill cloth and gold piping. I think I'm going to make it a convetible, with a removeable panel at the back. The speaker baffle will probably be 9mm mdf or plywood, if I can get a cut off at a bargain price.

The speaker is an Eminence Red Coat Stonehenge 8ohm 75W. Unless I can find something better 2nd hand (£30 limit).

Here's a few screenies from Google Sketchup, there's no speaker baffle in place and it's still an open back, but that's let you guys see wihat's going on inside.

Video showing the 3d model
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVYl6I6xYoA

Also, for those of you who have sketchup here's a link to the sketchup project.

http://www.zeligmusic.co.uk/files/cab/cab.skp

Any, and all, suggestions/critque/questions/advice is welcomed.

Peace
If you can find a wood supplier, you'd be better off getting baltic birch plywood rather than mdf. It might be called something different in Britain, but it's a void free plywood made entirely of birch wood. It's really nice stuff, they make boats and airplanes out of it.

I was able to get a 5'x5' (~1.5m x 1.5m) sheet of 11ply (5/8" or ~16mm) for $35 (~£25 pounds). MDF isn't that much cheaper, and it weighs so much.
Cheers for the advice.

Would 12mm thick be ok for a 1x12? Or would be 18mm be required.

Is this the stuff? http://www.wickes.co.uk/browse/smplywood?ex=co_wizr-locayta&collate=ivtype&collate=price&collate=pdxtavailableonline&collate=pdxtpromotion&collate=pdxtaveragerate&collate=pdxtbmdprdsize&collate=pdxtbmdprdcolour&collate=pdxtdoorhei&collate=pdxtdoorwid&collate=pdxtdoorsty&collate=pdxttilelength&collate=pdxttilewidth&collate=pdxttilematerial&collate=pdxtfllengh&collate=pdxtflmaterial&collate=pdxtflwidth&collate=pdxtkititemdep&collate=pdxtkititemhei&collate=pdxtkititemwid&collate=pdxtbathitemdep&collate=pdxtbathitemhei&collate=pdxtbathitemwid&collate=pdxtradhei&collate=pdxtradlen&collate=pdxtradwat&collate=pdxtsafewhei&collate=pdxtladdhei&collate=pdxtbuildepth&collate=pdxtbuilheight&collate=pdxtbuilwidth&collate=pdxtdoorfursiz&collate=pdxttinsize&collate=pdxtnailtype&collate=pdxtscrewsize&collate=pdxtscrewtype&collate=pdxtguttpr&collate=pdxtptoolvolt&collate=pdxtdoorpanty&collate=pdxtdoorpanels&collate=pdxttilefinish&collate=pdxttadhesivetyp&collate=pdxttype&collate=pdxtradran&collate=pdxtkititemlen&collate=pdxtsizelw&collate=pdxtsizelwd&collate=pdxtsizelitre&collate=pdxtsizekg&collate=pdxtpackcoverage&collate=pdxttilewarwattage&collate=pdxtsizel&collate=pdxtsizewh&collate=pdxtglazing&collate=pdxtstyle&collate=pdxtraddep&collate=pdxtweight&collate=pdxtdiameter&collate=pdxtbitfitting&collate=pdxttpi&collate=pdxtbladefittings&collate=pdxtgrade&fieldrtype=type&termtextrtype=invt&typertype=exact&fieldpcatid=pcatid&typepcatid=exact&termorder=rtype%3Apcatid&template=wz_locayta&pagenum=1&perpage=9&threshold=0&spellcorrect=1&datasource=wickesen&setpagenum=1&isviewall=1&perpage=18&bklist=icat,5,shop,buildmaterial,sheetmaterials,smplywood&bklist=icat,5,shop,buildmaterial,sheetmaterials,smplywood
Quote by machin05
Cheers for the advice.

Would 12mm thick be ok for a 1x12? Or would be 18mm be required.

Is this the stuff? http://www.wickes.co.uk/browse/smplywood?ex=co_wizr-locayta&collate=ivtype&collate=price&collate=pdxtavailableonline&collate=pdxtpromotion&collate=pdxtaveragerate&collate=pdxtbmdprdsize&collate=pdxtbmdprdcolour&collate=pdxtdoorhei&collate=pdxtdoorwid&collate=pdxtdoorsty&collate=pdxttilelength&collate=pdxttilewidth&collate=pdxttilematerial&collate=pdxtfllengh&collate=pdxtflmaterial&collate=pdxtflwidth&collate=pdxtkititemdep&collate=pdxtkititemhei&collate=pdxtkititemwid&collate=pdxtbathitemdep&collate=pdxtbathitemhei&collate=pdxtbathitemwid&collate=pdxtradhei&collate=pdxtradlen&collate=pdxtradwat&collate=pdxtsafewhei&collate=pdxtladdhei&collate=pdxtbuildepth&collate=pdxtbuilheight&collate=pdxtbuilwidth&collate=pdxtdoorfursiz&collate=pdxttinsize&collate=pdxtnailtype&collate=pdxtscrewsize&collate=pdxtscrewtype&collate=pdxtguttpr&collate=pdxtptoolvolt&collate=pdxtdoorpanty&collate=pdxtdoorpanels&collate=pdxttilefinish&collate=pdxttadhesivetyp&collate=pdxttype&collate=pdxtradran&collate=pdxtkititemlen&collate=pdxtsizelw&collate=pdxtsizelwd&collate=pdxtsizelitre&collate=pdxtsizekg&collate=pdxtpackcoverage&collate=pdxttilewarwattage&collate=pdxtsizel&collate=pdxtsizewh&collate=pdxtglazing&collate=pdxtstyle&collate=pdxtraddep&collate=pdxtweight&collate=pdxtdiameter&collate=pdxtbitfitting&collate=pdxttpi&collate=pdxtbladefittings&collate=pdxtgrade&fieldrtype=type&termtextrtype=invt&typertype=exact&fieldpcatid=pcatid&typepcatid=exact&termorder=rtype%3Apcatid&template=wz_locayta&pagenum=1&perpage=9&threshold=0&spellcorrect=1&datasource=wickesen&setpagenum=1&isviewall=1&perpage=18&bklist=icat,5,shop,buildmaterial,sheetmaterials,smplywood&bklist=icat,5,shop,buildmaterial,sheetmaterials,smplywood

1/2 inch (12.7mm thick, 12 plys) I'd say is the minimum for a speaker cabinet. I'm really not too sure about the link you gave. The only birch plywood there is pretty thin stuff and it looks like birch veneer, not a pure birch plywood (pine inside). The other generic stuff looks like regular plywood. Exterior is probably just treated wood, not necessarily what you're looking for. You want void free plywood, but if you can't find any, mdf will do. Voids in plywood can cause rattling that will drive you insane.

The only reason to avoid mdf is the weight of it, and the fragile nature of it. Pretty much all the cabinet manufacturers use this birch plywood for their nice cabinets.

I made my Marshal 1960B clone out of it. It's really nice, beautifully made wood to work with. Minimal tear out for plywood, the side profile with the plys looks amazing. Perfectly clean, no voids. Very strong wood too.

Might find some info here: http://www.buy-plywood.online-timber-sales.co.uk/baltic-birch-plywood.html

http://www.richardrussell.co.uk/

This wood also goes by "Russian Birch." The sheets are just about always 5 feet by 5 feet.
Last edited by earthwormjim at Oct 1, 2010,
Hey all
I'm revisiting this build after stewing on it for a little while.
I've changed the design a little. Made it smaller and decided on finish etc.

Here is my new design. I've squared off the main cabinet, but kept the baffle slanted. Hopefully that will make the tolexing easier as well as allowing me to install the corners without any difficulty.

It will be finished with black tolex, Fender Wheat grill cloth and have an Eminence 12" Stonhenge speaker (same as in the Blackheart 1x12 cab).

Pics:

and a mock-up of how it will look

Also I have a question regarding wood...

Would this wood be suitable for the cabinet build AND speaker baffle?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2440-x-1220-x-12mm-Marine-Hardwood-Plywood-/150502228955?pt=UK_BOI_Building_Materials_Supplies_Carpentry_Woodwork_ET&hash=item230aa1c3db

Cheers,
Will
Last edited by machin05 at Oct 19, 2010,
That wood should be fine.

That's a cool little cabinet.

Are you going to do a round over on the edges?
Cheers man just need to try and arrange delivery now. This stuff seems to be rare as rocking horse shit in the UK. Mind you, I am a lazy researcher - I don't really stray from online suppliers.

Yeah, gonna round the edges, add rubber feet, corner protectors and maybe a tan leather handle - although I'm not sure if that will go with the black tolex. I might add some white piping if I'm feeling classy enough!
Well it seems that because I live right in the middle of the country, no one local has Marine Grade Plywood available.
Can anyone tell me of a midlands based supplier of either Marin-Grade Plywood or Baltic/Russain Birch plywood. I'm coming up with blanks every time!
Failing that, would Far-Eastern Exterior Grade plywood be suitable?

Cheers team UG
Quote by machin05
Well it seems that because I live right in the middle of the country, no one local has Marine Grade Plywood available.
Can anyone tell me of a midlands based supplier of either Marine-Grade Plywood or Baltic/Russain Birch plywood. I'm coming up with blanks every time!
Failing that, would Far-Eastern Exterior Grade plywood be suitable?

Can anyone help with this?

Ta
Quote by machin05
Can anyone help with this?

Ta

I think far-eastern would work. The key is void free and I believe far-eastern is fairly high end stuff. Not quite marine or airplane grade, but pretty nice.

You could also make the cabinet out of solid pine. That would also be void free. Not as strong as a birch plywood, but still less fragile than mdf and not as heavy as mdf.

I made a cabinet out of pine. It's no where near as stable as plywood, and you never find perfectly flat pieces like a plywood, but it still turned out nice.
Last edited by earthwormjim at Oct 22, 2010,
Ok so I've had a response from a local builing merchant:

We do far eastern ply, but it's not birch ply. It's just normal far eastern which is water and boil proof.

So what do you reckon?
Snog, Marry or Kill?
Quote by machin05
Ok so I've had a response from a local builing merchant:

So what do you reckon?
Snog, Marry or Kill?

Ask if it's relatively void free.