During a singing lesson I sang sharp. My teacher saud it's better to sing sharp then flat. I usually sing flat. How do I get sharp ?
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
thats means you sang a little higher then the note instead of singing a little lower then the note

example lets say your aiming for A

G Ab (flat) A A#(sharp)

4 notes there, Ab is the same as G# next to G you would call it G# compared to A its Ab...
sharps are ascending Low to High
flats are descending High to Low

theres diatonic methods for this also..which doesnt alow the same note names in your formula. but i learned that for guitar..good to know tho

what your teacher said doesnt make since to me..seems it would be better to just hit the note instead of being flat or sharp seeing how both is not correct..i wouldnt practice singing sharp..id practice singing the right note
Quote by metalmetalhead
what your teacher said doesnt make since to me..seems it would be better to just hit the note instead of being flat or sharp seeing how both is not correct..i wouldnt practice singing sharp..id practice singing the right note

I agree. Ok, perhaps the teacher is right. However, I'm pretty sure he meant there to be an implied: "Singing exactly in key is better than being sharp or flat". As metalmetalhead said, practice being in key. Practicing being sharp on purpose is a terrible idea, IMO. lol
"Whaddya mean DYNAMICS?! I'm playing as loud as I can!"
Maybe what the teacher is hinting at is that it's better to start above a note and drop down to it than start low and rise up to the note. For example when starting a vocal line, a beginner may start low and rise up to the note, effectively searching for it. If you aim a little higher than where you think that note is, there's less time spent "searching".

In terms of what sounds better, flat or sharp I think both have the desired result of being the incorrect note
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Maybe what the teacher is hinting at is that it's better to start above a note and drop down to it than start low and rise up to the note. For example when starting a vocal line, a beginner may start low and rise up to the note, effectively searching for it. If you aim a little higher than where you think that note is, there's less time spent "searching".

In terms of what sounds better, flat or sharp I think both have the desired result of being the incorrect note

I think your right..i would go with this..tho i never really thought about it much..seems it would be easyer to do it that way ...but id just try to hit the correct note..correct is always best.

what you might need is to train your ears up a little bit better..you can never hear to good ya know
I find sliding up to a note is much better, and easier than sliding down from one. Your teacher might have told you to sing sharp because you normally are flat, and its a way to trick you into singing the correct pitch. They also might have been referring to the way you sung the note too, as in, singing with edge could be defined singing sharply (though I would hope your teacher would clarify on that)