Hey all, I hate to be one of those 'what should I get' people, but well, here I go:
At the moment my 'rig' consists of an epi les paul standard (stock everything) and a Vox Pathfinder 15r. The Pfinder is alright but I am thinking of getting an upgrade to something more, probably Tube or Hybrid.

I'm looking in the the <$500 Au (About <$400 USD I think) and likely won't be able to look into something used because of a lack of a market for that round where I live.
I play mostly GNR/Led Zeppelin sort of hard rock, and won';t be immediately gigging however I wouldn't mind the possibility in the future.

Or should I start investing in pedals for OD ect.?
I've been looking at a Vox AC15VR, thoughts on that?
::::::Cherry Epiphone Les Paul Standard Custom Shop With Bigsby:::::
::::::Vox AC15VR::::::
Peavey Windsor Studio, Bugera V22, Jet City JCA2112RC and the aforementioned Egnater Tweaker would all fit the bill, especially with a nice boost.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Have thought about getting an Epiphone Valve Junior cab (112) and playing the Pathfinder through that, and getting a Boss Overdrive/Distortion pedal.

Would that increase the tone significantly?
The VJ cabs are very nice. Good bottom end and they look sexy as ****. I play mostly metal and they do that very well, but the speakers are pretty transparent so it really depends on the amp you run it with.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by DroptuneD
Vypyr tube?

Just out of my price range.
Some amps in Australia are ridiculously expensive compared to the US.
Quote by iTim
Just out of my price range.
Some amps in Australia are ridiculously expensive compared to the US.

Farkin' oath. Don't be scared of eBay because it's probably your best friend in finding a decent new (used) amp. I've seen Line 6 Flextones go for around the $500 mark, you could probably find a Laney VC15 combo for around your budget too. If you must go new grab a VHT Classic 6 they're about $400 here and you'll have to mic it for gigs, it's a shame nowhere has the Special 6 combo yet.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
If you could save a bit more you might be able to find a Blackheart BH15 Handsome Devil combo. Nice Marshall sound, great for the styles you mentioned. And one day you can get a boost and make it scream.

Or if you don't want to save up more a Blackheart BH5 Little Giant combo is a great option too and you should be able to find it in your price range.

Whatever you do don't go for the AC15VR. It's decent for what it is but it's an insult to all real AC15s everywhere.
Last edited by Seref at Oct 1, 2010,
Am thinking about the Vox Night train Ext. Cabinet (112) with Celestion Greenback for only $250 and then getting a distortion pedal, would there be any problems with this, seeing as though the Pfinder Ext Cab output says 8Ohms and the Night Train cab is 16 ohms?

The Pathfinder manual says any cab over 8 ohms is fine.
I bought the 5w Blackheart Little Giant with the 1x12 cab. Had it about 6 months now. It is simple, and effective. It has a pentode/triode switch, so in 3w mode, you can get to crunch time at lower volumes. In pentode mode, I have not dared put it past 5, I can feel my eardrums vibrating from the sonic waves as I drown out my drummer!

I did also buy a presonus Tubpre amp, so I can saturate the tubes and play it at a volume level that won't piss off the missus. For the price, you can't beat it. I have heard good things aboout the Epi Jr. also, but it only has a volume knob, no tone stack or mode switch like the BH.
Pain is temporary. Stupid is forever. - Some really friggin' smart dead dude