I figured a thread were people could ask for help choosing a new guitar would not be a bad idea. I just looked for one before posting this and could not see one, but I think it would be a useful addition to have pinned.

Whether you choose to or not, I need some help.

I have been playing guitar for 2 years now and my starter electric just isnt going to cut it anymore. I find it puts me off plugging in to my underused vox vt50 these days.

What I am looking for is a fender stratocaster, in the price range of £400 - £600. I think the ideal amount of action would be about just under half a centimeter above the fretboard at the highest frets, but action is not really something im worried about so long as it is easy to customize. A good tremolo system would be very nice too.

The electric stuff I most often find myself playing is pink floyd and led zep, but im looking to start learning some jeff beck and randy rhoads. I know I said I am looking for a strat, but I would consider anything which would be good for playing this kind of stuff.
Almost every one of the bands you said used a les paul at one point or another. But as far as strats go, there are some really nice MIJ squiers from the eighties that you can get for pretty cheap that come with a trem system(though I don't know how it is)
Quote by mikeyb9m3bek
I figured a thread were people could ask for help choosing a new guitar would not be a bad idea. I just looked for one before posting this and could not see one, but I think it would be a useful addition to have pinned.

Whether you choose to or not, I need some help.

I have been playing guitar for 2 years now and my starter electric just isnt going to cut it anymore. I find it puts me off plugging in to my underused vox vt50 these days.

What I am looking for is a fender stratocaster, in the price range of £400 - £600. I think the ideal amount of action would be about just under half a centimeter above the fretboard at the highest frets, but action is not really something im worried about so long as it is easy to customize. A good tremolo system would be very nice too.

The electric stuff I most often find myself playing is pink floyd and led zep, but im looking to start learning some jeff beck and randy rhoads. I know I said I am looking for a strat, but I would consider anything which would be good for playing this kind of stuff.

What you need is a versatile guitar that has a wide range of Picks ups Humbucker single Humbucker configuration would suit you also if the humbuckers had a split coil (tap coil) it would give the widest range of choice that way you should be able to cover most sounds... i use a Ibanez RG 1570 Prestige which i find i have no problems achieving most sounds although i doesn't have a coil tap function but i don't find it an issue and one positive it has a double locking tremelo which when doing all the weird trem dive bombs and stuff like Via and Satriani it stays perfectly in tune..... good luck on your search.... Cheers
pick up a used esp 400 series strat from ebay they are listed regularly below your budget and smoke a current american strat....they come in many different pickup combinations