So, I have an old epiphone sg laying around, and decided it would be fun to fix her up a bit with some new bells and whistles. Unfortunately, I've never done this before, so I want to know a few things:

1. Is it possible to put a Floyd rose on a this guitar ( it's an epiphone sg special)? If so, how does one go about taking out the metal rings that held the stop bar tailpiece in place?

2. Can I add a second tone knob?
Guitars

1992 Fender Standard Stratocaster
2009 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2010 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro
Ovation Celebrity 6-String Acoustic
Fender BG29 Acoustic 4-string Bass
1. With enough skill, you could put a floyd rose on a trash can. So yes, it could be done, but why? Do you have woodworking and mechanical skills, and have access to a router?

My personal solution would be to sell SG, and apply money to buying a cheap Ibanez that already has a floyd rose. Personally, I don't like FR's. I have a FR on one of my guitars, and once I got past my "want to be a divebombing metal god" phase I blocked it off and now don't use the trem at all other than to hold strings.
Ya, you can, but it wouldn't be worth it. I also blocked my Floyd from pulling up because I never hardly use it anyway. I do like Floyds though, especially now because it is really easy to string, tune, and set-up.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
yea. i also got a guitar with a floyd only to block it off a few months later. but regardless im sure u could. my only thing would be that and sg is very thin and idk. maybe is u got a single direction floyd.(idk if thats the right term but one u can only dive on not pull up.)
You COULD put a floyd rose. The bridge alone would probably cost more than the guitar, you'd need a router, you might have to refinish it, etc.

A 2nd tone knob would be easy. Your going to need to drill a hole though. Make sure the hole is drilled in a comfortable place and goes to the control cavity.

After that, your going to need a soldering iron, a 500k tone pot, a knob, solder, wire, etc.

Follow this diagram:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_1v_2t_3w
Putting on a floyd really is not super difficult but its also not the easiest thing to do and can obviously ruin your guitar if not done right. If you can id sell it and go for this.
http://www.rondomusic.com/valk24hcfloyd.html

But if you want to continue with what you want to do you really just need to measure out where the LFR needs to be set then route out the body in the front and back. Easier said than done though but thats pretty much it. Someone else may have a link but there was a site where you could put in your number of frets and the scale of your guitar and it would measure out where the bridge needs to be placed. It was meant to tell you where to cut the slots for frets but it could be used for finding the right spot for a bridge as well I guess.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Sep 30, 2010,
Wow, I had no clue how expensivefloyd roses are.this idea seemed better on paper...back to the drawing board then..
Guitars

1992 Fender Standard Stratocaster
2009 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2010 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro
Ovation Celebrity 6-String Acoustic
Fender BG29 Acoustic 4-string Bass
Pickup swap, gotoh locking tuners and strap locks made my SG just that much better, try it!
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.