Seems adequate. The first thing anyone should learn is basic chord positions, and changing between them. Just learn as you go along, I've never had lessons either. When you feel good enough to learn something you've seen elsewhere, learn it.
Quote by SkepsisMetal
Seems adequate. The first thing anyone should learn is basic chord positions, and changing between them. Just learn as you go along, I've never had lessons either. When you feel good enough to learn something you've seen elsewhere, learn it.

Do you have any youtube vids of yourself? Would like to see how well people can play having had no paid lessons.
I don't, no. But there are plenty of people on here who never had lessons. Pretty sure if you posted something about it in The Pit forums, you'd get some good responses. A lot of dicks, but some good ones too.
This website is also good, but more for when you're confident enough to start choosing what to learn
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/

EDIT: Just came to mind, check out Killrbuckeye on youtube. He never had lessons, and is the best example I can think of off the top of my head
Last edited by SkepsisMetal at Sep 30, 2010,
Quote by EazyDuz
Do you have any youtube vids of yourself? Would like to see how well people can play having had no paid lessons.

This man never had any formal lessons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yPEewaalik

And while I don't in any way compare myself to Guthrie, neither have I: http://www.youtube.com/user/ZaphodBeeblebrox65
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I have used this guys lessons and they are great.

He's a good teacher and he definitely knows his stuff, though I use it as a little extra as well as going to guitar lessons.

Maybe one day when you feel you've progressed enough you can start doing some more advanced lessons when you have the money.
Justinguitar is a great website, listen to that guy and you wont go wrong
my advice: start slow. don't think you can do faster, more complex playing before you can do basic playing. while you may be able to, it'll give you false hope then you'll get stuck. it happened to me and i had to backtrack and admit i was wrong.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Just remember, you will be terrible. You will NOT be good to start, it'll be awkward, hard to change chords quickly/at all, and it'll hurt you fingers. Everyone starts this way, don't be discouraged. I know a lot of people that play for about 2 hours, and say "Im rubbish" and give up al together. Its a hard instrument to begin to play. But once you get past this, its totally awesome.

Unless of course you've played some other string instruments.. then ignore me.
You are actually in a fantastic position - you get to use all the resources at your disposal now to start things off the correct way.

You need to be looking up correct muting techniques, lessons that deal with minimum amount of pressure and tension, how to begin basic picking and strumming, lessons which deal with using metronomes....encorporate all these into your playing from the start and put many hours of good practice in and you'll be starting to get good in no time.

Most importantly - listen, think and learn. If something sounds crap - analyse why. Listen to the intervals (the way notes relate to each other) and learn the notes on your fretboard - you have to know what you're playing right?

Obviously start with some basic scales and open chords to keep your interest, but make sure you start off in the right way and it'll soon fall into place. Oh, and i suggest learning some extremely basic theory to start off with!

Good luck!
well i have been playing for a year now but just started learning scales, modes, etc. So i would say take a year to learn the guitar and then learn the important things like scales, modes, chords, chord progression, notes and stuff.
Quote by \o/
You are actually in a fantastic position - you get to use all the resources at your disposal now to start things off the correct way.

You need to be looking up correct muting techniques, lessons that deal with minimum amount of pressure and tension, how to begin basic picking and strumming, lessons which deal with using metronomes....encorporate all these into your playing from the start and put many hours of good practice in and you'll be starting to get good in no time.

Most importantly - listen, think and learn. If something sounds crap - analyse why. Listen to the intervals (the way notes relate to each other) and learn the notes on your fretboard - you have to know what you're playing right?

Obviously start with some basic scales and open chords to keep your interest, but make sure you start off in the right way and it'll soon fall into place. Oh, and i suggest learning some extremely basic theory to start off with!

Good luck!

Where do i find all these lessons?
My guitar came today. Ive been doing justins stage one. Ive managed chord D, A and E. A was troublesome.
Im now trying to switch from chord D to A but i cant do it at all. Even very slowly i find it difficult.
ANy advice?
Quote by EazyDuz
My guitar came today. Ive been doing justins stage one. Ive managed chord D, A and E. A was troublesome.
Im now trying to switch from chord D to A but i cant do it at all. Even very slowly i find it difficult.
ANy advice?

Search for them on here, the rest of the internet, and youtube.

Type in the terms i told you about, or try wording them slightly differently if you're not getting the results you need. If results concerning playing guitar come up, you've got what you need. Read/watch/do what they say. Hope this helps.
Quote by EazyDuz
ANy advice?

Keep it slow until it's easy for you to do and then try and get it faster but never try and speed anything up until you can do it well and with ease at a slower tempo. This vid might also help you out a bit: http://youtu.be/7DcjDp5Iexw

It's also worth saying that it will take a while for you to make anything sound good so really don't worry about it, the initial few months of playing where you really still have to become accustomed to the absolute basics are some of the worst.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by EazyDuz
ANy advice?

thats normal, you won't be able to "do" anything on the guitar for a while, even the most rudimentary actions will take time to learn and get comfortable with.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com