Can the Bass chorus be used for metal? my friend suggested it to me but i'm not sure... I just started playing bass for 6 months so i do not know much about bass effects
yeahh it can, ive tried it myself over time. ive been playin bass for three years
I don't hear of chorus being used often for metal, but I wouldn't expect it to sound particularly bad.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by bamboy1104
yeahh it can, ive tried it myself over time. ive been playin bass for three years

Really? how do you use it? i'm thinking of buying one

Quote by fleajr_1412
I don't hear of chorus being used often for metal, but I wouldn't expect it to sound particularly bad.

Can you please give any particular songs/bassist that uses Bass chorus
The one bassist I can think of at the top of my head is Duff McKagan, but that's exactly metal... He uses a touch of chorus for his tone, and it works really, really well. I'm sure you could find other bassists who use it too. I'm tempted to say Justin Chancellor of Tool, but it's debatable whether he uses a flanger or chorus.
Quote by skater dan0
I think Jason Newstead used a lot of chorus on the live metallica stuff, for his solos and i think the intro to King Nothing on some shows
^I was thinking of Newsted, but I could only remember him using chorus for My Friend of Misery.
Quote by skater dan0
Ryan Martinie of Mudvayne has a chorus effect but he doesn't use a pedal, somehow he does it with his fingers and stuff.

Yeah, I almost blew out half my cerebellum thinking about it too.
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
Ryan Martinie of Mudvayne has a chorus effect but he doesn't use a pedal, somehow he does it with his fingers and stuff.

Probably not too complicated to achieve if you're proficient at tapping.

I wouldn't know though, Mudvayne aren't really my cup of tea.
^ You can't deny that their bassist is ____.

No word to describe his godlyness
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid

He achieves that sound by tapping a note, and at the same time, tapping the same not but an octave higher. This creates a octave pedal like effect that can kinda sound like a chorus pedal.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Quote by TrabenBassist22
He achieves that sound by tapping a note, and at the same time, tapping the same not but an octave higher. This creates a octave pedal like effect that can kinda sound like a chorus pedal.

So, its like artificial harmonics in a way? Except with tapping?

edit: i just tried doing it, im not getting a chorus effect or any other type of effect at all
pinga
Last edited by Cb4rabid at Oct 1, 2010,
Hey guys thanks for the replies.... What would you suggest a Boss CEB-3 or a Digitech Multi chorus?
I own the Boss CEB-3, and I absolutely love it. A ton of versatility. I have only played through the DigiTech once and, while I may be biased, I dislike how tinny their pedals seem to sound. I think either way you're fine.

MusicMan SUB4
OLP MM2

Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II / RBH410 x2
Trace Elliot SMX Dual Compressor
Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus
ZVex Wooly Mammoth Fuzz
You just turn the chorus up to almost all the way while the bass and treble are about at the same level and just enjoy. Ive messed around with it a couple times to find the sound i was looking for
I used to use it for a clean part in one of my bands songs, now ive just switched over to a slow wah effect. But the chorus worked fine, twas just a hassle switching from overdrive to chorus.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Any effect can be used for anything... if done tastefully and musically.

Chorus happens to be an easier one to apply to anything.

Chorus happens when two notes are just ever so slightly out of tune with each other, so the chorus pedal takes the signal and changes the pitch ever so slightly, makes it wobble a bit.

I had the Boss CEB, it messed up a bit and I can't unscrew it to have a look at the wires, but it has a very even effect spread down to a low D, Some less bass specific chorus's will stop affecting around the low A give or take. depending on the sound you're/your guitarist is looking for. one of the only digitech pedals I liked was the Multi-chorus, it's really cold sounding, which kind of gives it a uniqueness, and might work better for heavier stuff, the Boss is twice as warm on a cold day. which is great for adding some depth, but with a chorus on such low notes it might make the guitar sound a bit floaty, as the foundation it's playing over is not "solid"
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"