I've been playing guitar for a little over a year now and until now not come across a song that was played with fngerpicking. The song is Alice in Chains' "don't follow". I've been playing it with a pick, and it sounds ok to me. I do use my third finger in conjunction with the pick on the single note that requires two strings to be picked simultaneously. Is there anything inherintly wrong with playing songs this way? I play pretty much all rock and metal generally. I just don't want this to come back and bite me years down the road.

Washburn X50PRO FE (GuitarHeads active bridge pickup)
Dean Vendetta XM
Jet City JCA20H head, w Eminence Texas Heat 12"
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
Ibanez TS7
DigiTech RP-255
Behringer VD1 (Big Muff PI clone)
Well, there isn't anything wrong with it other than the fact that you will never be able to play like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23VFCY84C3s . There is no reason you should neglect a technique, just because you don't think you will use it. Why would an artist work without proper supplies?
I wouldn't say there's anything wrong with playing it with a pick if you can still hit those two strings while using a pick. I play a lot of acoustic and folky-ish music, so finger picking is a little more helpful to know/be proficient in, in my case; your's-- not so much, I'd say. Good to know either way though.
well, there are two techniques i reckon go hand in hand, kinda:

I: first, learn to fingerpick. to be honest, i reccomend you learn a couple of banjo songs on guitar (itll sound SHIT, but itll improve tech.), i did this, and my fingerpicking is my best technique i can do.
II: hybrid picking: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1CeiOrZYfI
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Fingerpicking isn't necessary, but it'd be a nice technique to have, and be able to play somewhat decently.
It's only necessary if you need to use it to play music that you want to make/learn. It could come back to bite you if you decide you need it later on, but it's not necessary to use the technique.
Yes, learn finger picking! If you want to play guitar well, you should embrace all techniques and styles. Otherwise you are cutting yourself off from the creative opportunities that such a technique would enrich you with.
Its not necessary, but its ****ing awesome. I wish I was a bit better at it. It's always good to learn as many techniques as possible. You might be only playing rock and metal now, but you're gonna be expanding your style eventually.

Sometimes you won’t have a pick with you! Yes, it happens. You go to a party full of Swedish bikini models, there’s an acoustic guitar sitting in the corner, but you can’t play it and woo the womenfolk because you left your damn picks in your other pants pocket! You could always do the index fingernail strum thing, but that just sounds ridiculous and you know it.
Quote by pielover375
So last year, I put some potatoes in this jar and forgot about them. Today, I found them, and when I opened the jar, there is a puddle at the bottom and it smells like alcohol. If I drink this, do you think I will die, or have I made potato vodka?
It's by no means necessary.

But I LOVE hybrid picking. I would recommend you at least try it out.