I might get one later.
Do they sound as good plugged in as just heading it by ear?

How is the sound picked up? A mic in the body?
I want to know if it's worth getting or if I should just mic an acoustic myself.
It sounds better than an acoustic simulator right?

Dumb questions over.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
They won't sound quite as good. They're perfect for live work, much better to mic in studio sessions though.
Quote by aidan the perso
They won't sound quite as good. They're perfect for live work, much better to mic in studio sessions though.

what he said. if you buy a cheap one it will sound cheap
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Get a regular acoustic and fit one of K&K's Pickups not very likely to find better than those. If they are good enough for Andy McKee, I suspect they are good enough for you, and very reasonably priced.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Quote by Clay-man
Do they sound as good plugged in as just heading it by ear?

They just sound different. The relationship is unique to every instrument.

Quote by Clay-man
How is the sound picked up? A mic in the body?

There are two main types, piezo-electric pickups and microphone types. Wikipedia will tell you all you could possibly want to know about each.

Quote by Clay-man
I want to know if it's worth getting or if I should just mic an acoustic myself.

Depends on your situation. I don't think so, but many others couldn't live without their built-in electronics.

Quote by Clay-man
It sounds better than an acoustic simulator right?

Oh God yes.
If you are going to play in front of people outside of living-room or back-porch contexts, you are going to have to amplify.
If you play an acoustic guitar you will need either a microphone or an internal pickup of some sort.
The most common are piezo pickups, internally-mounted microphones, or combinations of both.
There are also soundhole pickups, which are essentially just magnetic pickups (like in electric guitars) stuck in a soundhole. Their tone is dependent on the electrics used, not so much the guitar.
So-called "acoustic electric" guitars just add some on-board electronics. Usually tone and volume controls. This lets you fiddle with the sound at the guitar rather than at the amp.
Modern electronics are small and light, and have little or no effect by themselves on the sound of the instrument.
So.... If you have a good-sounding guitar with on-board electronics, it'll sound good.
If you have a cheap, crappy guitar with on-board electronics....

EVERY time you hear some performer on stage whanging on a guitar that you think sounds really, really good, remember that the signal is being pushed through a bunch of electronics one way or another.
The late Merle Travis said, "If you play for audiences, you will have to amplify. How much difference does it make which side of the strings the microphone is on?"
I've played acoustic/electrics for about 30 years.

Bottom line...they are MUCH better today than ever. An inexpensive $200 acoustic/electric will be fine....better than a high end model from 20 years ago.

I buy mostly used guitars...the only guitar I won't buy used is an acoustic/electric over 5 years old.

There's lots of good brands but 'Ovation' is one of the best for electronics. Some higher end brands (Taylor) have mixed reviews....great guitars but 'so-so' electronics.
They more you spend the better they will sound. Cole Clark guitars use some amazing elctronics.
I do sure love me them Gibsons boy
i've heard Bband acoustic pickups are really good. though i've never actually tried them. i prefer just micing an acoustic. i think it sounds better.
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
535Q Crybaby>Fulltone OCD>Phase 90>EHX Big Muff>MXR Carbon Copy>EHX Holy Grail
You can call me Matt
Quote by Skeet UK
Get a regular acoustic and fit one of K&K's Pickups not very likely to find better than those.

This.

K&K Pure Mini's work very well in capturing the true sound of your guitar rather than just picking up the string vibrations (like USTs). They are also VERY reasonably priced. I'd recommend getting a decent preamp to go along with it if you chose to go that route.
My Music Videos

Guitars:
Breedlove Revival Series OM
Crosby Fingerstyle Model
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Fender Stratocaster (American)
Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele