I've recently sold my peavey XXX head for $425 USD. My original plan was to sell my 2x12 cab and get a 6505+ 112 combo. But I was wondering if anyone had better suggestions for a metal amp? Should I sell the cab and get the combo or keep my cab and get a head? Budget for a combo would be around $600 (hence the 6505+) While I could pry push to 500 (if i had to..) for a head.

Any suggestions? I would prefer an effects loop, usable cleans. Think BFMV / lamb of god tone. I don't need any more gain than that.
My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR Special.
EpiG400 lefty w/Dimarzio X2N/ Irongear Hot Slag
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
2x12 Cab w/ WGS v30 / gt65
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah truebypass
ICP Gstring Decimator
Quote by Ironic Maiden
Wait, you would go up to $600 and maybe push $500? That doesn't make any sense.

Yes it does - $600 for the combo since he can sell the cab, $500 for the head, since can't

TS, you might be able to find a 5150 head for the price. IMO, the heads are better than the combos, especially since you have nice speakers in your cab already, you might actually like the 6505+ combo less than the XXX if you end up going for the combo, just because the Sheffield speakers fail in comparison to the WGSs you have in your 2x12.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Sep 30, 2010,
I would definitely go with a head and your 2x12. Combos just don't do it for me for some reason. The Bugera 6260 head is around $500 and it will definitely get you a tone in the range of what you're looking for.
http://www.myspace.com/takethekey

PRS Singlecut w/ Tremonti Treble/Bass
Taylor 614ce

Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
Mills Acoustics Afterburner 412B

"Mark Tremonti is what Willis was talking about..."
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yes it does - $600 for the combo since he can sell the cab, $500 for the head, since can't

TS, you might be able to find a 5150 head for the price. IMO, the heads are better than the combos, especially since you have nice speakers in your cab already, you might actually like the 6505+ combo less than the XXX if you end up going for the combo, just because the Sheffield speakers fail in comparison to the WGSs you have in your 2x12.

The combo 112 is oddly enough A LOT cheaper than the head, on thomann it's like 500 € cheaper. So he could get the combo and connect it to his cab and get 2 in 1.
Keep your cab and look for a Mesa DC-5, Bugera 333XL, or even a Randall RM20 with an Ultra XL module. A 5150 head "might" be found at that price as well. I would definitely look for a head though because your cab has some pretty good speakers in it!
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
The combo 112 is oddly enough A LOT cheaper than the head, on thomann it's like 500 € cheaper. So he could get the combo and connect it to his cab and get 2 in 1.

He could do that. Not a bad idea, but I know that the combo is 60 watts where the head is 120 watts. I'm not sure if there's a difference in tone.
http://www.myspace.com/takethekey

PRS Singlecut w/ Tremonti Treble/Bass
Taylor 614ce

Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
Mills Acoustics Afterburner 412B

"Mark Tremonti is what Willis was talking about..."
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death

Except that he's not in Europe and is in the US, where he could get a used head for around the same price as the new combo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I will definitely look into a used 6505/5150 head. thanks guys. I pry wouldnt have kept the sheffield speaker in the combo. I love my WGS vet30.

I'm curious about the mesa dc-5 tho. Anyone have experience with them?

edit* also the mesa dc-2 worth the $500?
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
ICP Gstring Decimator
Last edited by bj_squeelie at Sep 30, 2010,
I had a DC-3 and DC-5. Nice amps, very versatile, great clean channel. The lead channel is kind of a fight depending on the sound you want. For metal, the 5150 is better for sure. The .50 Caliber + head was better than the DC-5 IMO and cheaper.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Vendetta V
but why did you sell XXX??? not trying to be an ass.. jst i am thinking of buying XXX or 5150 in the future.. and.. well you get it

The XXX is a very good amp. but the nickname "jack of all trades, master of none" pretty much is what I would call it. I've had it for over 6 months and was just never satisfied with my tone. I suggest trying it out first. It's hard to describe it just seemed to lack balls when i tried to play heavy stuff... not gain.. just balls.... Idk?

@Matrix
Thanks I'll look into the 50 cals, and keep looking for the used 5150/6505 head.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
ICP Gstring Decimator
The cleans on the XXX are very good. They don't really stand out but with a chorus pedal you can get some amazing sounds.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
ICP Gstring Decimator
They are comparable. The 5150/6505 cleans are harder to dial in I find. I prefer the XXX cleans.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
ICP Gstring Decimator
I have a 5150 212 combo and I've played the 5150 head. I can honestly say that the head version sounds better than the combo does for some reason. Could be the 120w to 60w difference I don't know. The combo version sounds more "tamed" or maybe less aggressive sounding for sure.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Quote by DroptuneD
I have a 5150 212 combo and I've played the 5150 head. I can honestly say that the head version sounds better than the combo does for some reason. Could be the 120w to 60w difference I don't know. The combo version sounds more "tamed" or maybe less aggressive sounding for sure.

They are voiced differently - the 5150 combo is closer to the 6505+ in sound.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I don't really see where it says that, I could barely understand what he typed...
Quote by Ironic Maiden
I don't really see where it says that, I could barely understand what he typed...

Since everyone else understood, maybe you're the fool here.
Quote by Ironic Maiden

Maybe you need to learn how to read then:

Quote by bj_squeelie
I've recently sold my peavey XXX head for $425 USD. My original plan was to sell my 2x12 cab and get a 6505+ 112 combo. But I was wondering if anyone had better suggestions for a metal amp? Should I sell the cab and get the combo or keep my cab and get a head? Budget for a combo would be around $600 (hence the 6505+) While I could pry push to 500 (if i had to..) for a head.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Maybe you need to learn how to read then:
Pretty sad considering I just came back from English class...
Quote by Ironic Maiden
Pretty sad considering I just came back from English class...

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com