Page 1 of 9
Hey there writers of UG! This is for you. We've been hosting an ongoing competition for short stories! Unlike last round though, we're hoping that this thread will continue on. If you've any interest in writing, even if you've never tried, this is where to start! We will tell you how to do better

The first one went very well, with 25 entrants and three judges, and the winner was dann_blood. The second round went just as well, and Sir Anonymous was crowned victor. In the third, Neopowell the PUSO was first place finisher. In the fourth round, webbtje took first place. In the fifth, Todd Hart pulled an upset for first with his first entry into this competition.

This sixth round will be Flash Fictions, just as the first round.

Quote by wikipedia

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Flash fiction is fiction of extreme brevity. There is no widely accepted definition of the length of the category. Some self-described markets for flash fiction impose caps as low as 300, while others consider stories as long as 1000 words to be flash fiction.

The last few rounds we used 500 words, and to keep that tradition going we'll do 500 again. For reference, this post is about 250 words including the Wikipedia entry, and there are a lot of spaces, so it might appear shorter or longer to you, don't be discouraged.

There is no cap on entrances.

We need judges, however. Go ahead and volunteer to judge.

The deadline will be sometime in October, before the fifteenth. I haven't decided on a set date yet.
Im In!

EDIT: I'm allowed to compete if I didn't compete in the other ones aren't I?

And are all the winners of all the rounds going into like some Championship?

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
Last edited by thanksgiving at Sep 30, 2010,
Where do I see all the stories from the last round?

Quote by Våd Hamster

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
Quote by thanksgiving
Im In!

EDIT: I'm allowed to compete if I didn't compete in the other ones aren't I?

And are all the winners of all the rounds going into like some Championship?

Yes actually. That's the general but yet unwritten idea anyway. Maybe all the top 5 finishers. We've not discussed it in great detail.
Where can I see the stories from the other rounds?

Quote by Våd Hamster

in
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by thanksgiving
Where can I see the stories from the other rounds?

The thread for round 5 has links to round four and so on, I think.

EDIT: No they don't, it looks like. Well, I might ask a mod to make a compilation thread, or maybe make a group with threads for each round that has them in there. We'll see.
Last edited by captaincrunk at Sep 30, 2010,
Are the actual stories spread out through the threads or something?

EDIT:

How did you guys judge without reading the pieces!?!?!

WHERE ARE THEY! :MAD:

Quote by Våd Hamster

Last edited by thanksgiving at Sep 30, 2010,
God dammit

So do I post my piece in here, or send you it in a PM?

Quote by Våd Hamster

Quote by thanksgiving
God dammit

So do I post my piece in here, or send you it in a PM?

Boy, you sure do ask a lot of questions...

Are you a narc? I bet you are, you bastard

Just post it in the thread.

OT: I'll start writing, but if the deadline gets close and we need another judge, I'll do it. But I'd like to keep my writing spot open until then, just in case brilliance strikes me.
I'll definitely judge if I can't get a piece in lol

Quote by Våd Hamster

I can judge.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
So we just write a short story of 500 words? Is there a theme or something?
edit: also, how do i post this? just post the full story here, upload in some way or make a blog on UG and post a link? enlighten me.
Last edited by vagelier at Oct 4, 2010,
Open theme I think.

As in anything goes.

Quote by Våd Hamster

O hai thread, let's see if I come up with anything.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Deadline?

Quote by Våd Hamster

^...
Quote by captaincrunk

The deadline will be sometime in October, before the fifteenth. I haven't decided on a set date yet.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by SteveHouse
^...

Yeah but I want an exact date you bastard.

Quote by Våd Hamster

Except you got the date wrong, since it's actually x/10/2010.

I'm not convinced I'll enter - I'll try. Pretty damn sure I won't be able to judge though.
Quote by SteveHouse
If you're American it's right

If you're American, you're wrong anyway.
If we're hurting for judges I'll do that, but I'd rather enter the competition. If I do end up judging, just to reassure everyone I do have access to the internet in my flat now, so there won't be a repeat of the unpleasantness in round four...
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Even though I'm a mediocre, verging on horrid, writer, I'll enter again, if only to punish the judges with my unreadable logorrhea.
I want to join but I'm not sure where to start. Can I please see some of the older stories?
This is my first fictional piece so don't be too hard on me. Also, English is my 2nd language. Any criticism would be helpful, thanks in advance.
At the door
What do you want me to say? She asked. There was a long pause. Her rhetoric's struck Dan when he realized that he could not answer this question. He hated to be in this situation, defending his right against will. The silence was overwhelming, yet he refrained from speaking the only three words that popped up in his mind. He knew he'd been wrong: every fiber of his seemingly meager body knew that she had the right, no, the duty to confront him. Yet he felt angry. He felt much like hitting his girlfriend on the skull with the pottery that was spread around the corridor.
The frigid silence was blatantly interrupted with the repetition of the question. What did he want her to say? The answer seemed, or was, so obvious. He wanted her to say that she forgave him and that they should move on. Even the thought itself seemed ridiculous. Dan was confident that if he'd speak the words out loud he would actually shrink into nothingness within seconds, leaving only the humiliation and guilt in front of her door.
He could not bare to look at her face. He was not sure whether she'd be crying, fiery with anger or just silently struggling inside, but he didn't want to see any of them. He tried to speak, but the words fell to the ground between leaving his mouth and reaching her ears. He did not know what to say. He wished he did, although he knew the silence was much more telling than the sea of excuses he should have prepared. He could have brought flowers. He felt sorry for not doing so, although he knew it wouldn't have helped. It would only have postponed the inevitable. It struck Dan that this could very well be the end of their relationship. When he abruptly looked up into her deep brown eyes it seemed like she thought the same. She was looking down on him, like a mother looks to her son covered in cookie-jar traces.
She had always reminded him of his mother. Not only because she occasionally treated him like a kid – not unjustly – but also her figure, her way of moving, not typically elegant but controlled, calculating every next step with formality and grace.
He felt so small. If only he could just run home and crawl into the corner of the bathroom, lying there motionless in fetal position for an unmeasurable amount of time. If only he could go home and bathe in self-pity, disregarding his failures and self-esteem. If only there was a way to escape this moment that made him feel like a new born. He did not want to look at himself. He did not want to look at her. Never before did the bricks appear to have such a hypnotizing pattern. He fell down on his knees like a soldier shot in the shoulder. This was it, he thought. This was rock bottom.

518 words, I suppose that that would be fine right? Or should I take out a sentence or two to make below 500?
EDIT: took out sentences, word count is 494 now on internet tool and 496 in openoffice
Last edited by vagelier at Oct 5, 2010,