Hey
I am going to Edinburgh tomorrow for a week.
Does anybody know some cool places there to drink some beer or hang out ?

Any beer / whisky you can recommend me?
Quote by frankv
Tokio Hotel is probably the worst thing Germany has produced since WW2.

You mean pubs/clubs? Or places outside to sit with some bottles etc?

If it's sunny (unlikely), the meadows is nice, or go for a walk up the Crags/Arthurs Seat
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
uuhm I mean both clubs/pubs and outside

yes i checked the weather only saturday is sunny :/
Quote by frankv
Tokio Hotel is probably the worst thing Germany has produced since WW2.

Quote by Toast1337
uuhm I mean both clubs/pubs and outside

yes i checked the weather only saturday is sunny :/

I wouldn't trust that weather forecast...

Pubs/clubs... depends what youre into really. There's loads of bars on George Street, but they can be pricey and full of wankers (although also full of hot girls, so could be worth it). Other than that, round the uni area theres decent, cheaper pubs (Vodka Rev, Tron and a few others)
FALKIRK

Quote by Minkaro

Check out my Tunes
go in the summer instead, there's comedy and stuff.
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
just keep your mouth quiet if you want to live... thats my advice about edinburgh
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by Dempsey68
just keep your mouth quiet if you want to live... thats my advice about edinburgh

It's not Glasgow...
FALKIRK

Quote by Minkaro

Check out my Tunes
Quote by Toast1337

Any beer / whisky you can recommend me?

If you're spending a week in Edinburgh? All of it.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by Random88
You mean pubs/clubs? Or places outside to sit with some bottles etc?

If it's sunny (unlikely), the meadows is nice, or go for a walk up the Crags/Arthurs Seat

Arthurs Seat was cool, I went up there when I was in Edinburgh the other week.. Could see crappy Easter Road from the top.

As for bars there was this bar called Element which was quite nice.
I guess sightseeing is out of the question
For a real pervert, any exit can be an entrance.
Quote by sTx
Awesome post, dude.

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Goth
Peavey Valveking 112
My metal band, Nilfgaard
Touristy things

Castle , Edinburgh Bus Tour, Witchery Tours, Dean Art Gallery, Parliament, Observatory, Braids Golf, Royal Yacht, Camera Obscura, Botanic Gardens. Arthurs Seat, Museum of Scotland

Food/Drink/Partying

Rock Pub-Opium
Others The Tron, Golden Rule, Whistle Binkies, Jazz Bar, Voodoo Lounge, Standing Order, Finnegans Wake, Maggie Dicksons, Bar Alba. The Chanter,

Ceilidh pub-Gilley Do's (traditional scottish dancing-must do)

Rock Club-Studio 24
Others Caberet Voltare, Liquid Rooms, Espionage, Wee Red Bar

Mexican/Other awesome foods The Basement Bar
Chinese-Chop Chop
Best Burgers in Edinburgh Lebowskis (theme pub)
Indian Clay Oven
Fish and Chips- Lalba Dora Dundas St
Kebabs/Pizza Topkapi

Misc

Cinema-Cameo

Guitar shops-Guitar Guitar. Red Dog, Scayles

Lapdance-any of the pubic triangle

Brothels-blair st, london st

Drugs- PM me (jk)
Last edited by Sir-Shredalot at Sep 30, 2010,
there is a jazz bar on chambers street, top notch music- i was there last night. Failing that rose street (inbetween princes street and george street) or has been mentioned, george street. I recommend standing order on george street, lovely place to have a drink and very cheap as it is a weatherspoons bar!

Enjoy your trip mate!
-
The best pub in Edinburgh is in Duddingston, it's called The Sheep Heid. It's a little out of the way, but the walk round Arthur's Seat to get to it is lovely.

There's decent pubs in most areas though. I quite like Doctor's, Bannerman's, The Blue Blazer, Bow Bar and Greyfriar's Bobby.

George St is expensive and full of cunts.

Cowgate is full of shitholes, but they're usually cheap and are usually a semi-decent night.

Calton Hill, Crags and Arthur's Seat are all worth a walk up.

The castle is very expensive (£12 for a student, IIRC), and I'm not fully convinced it's worth it.

Beer wise, find a decent pub with real ales and you'll be fine. The pubs I mentioned earlier all have real ale.

Whisky wise, I like Jura and Talisker, but it's all good

EDIT: Forgot the Botanic Gardens. Lovely place for a walk. The outside gardens are all free, but if you pay a few quid you can get into the greenhouses where there's some species of plants that dominated the world a few 100 million years ago and a load of other cool plants.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Last edited by FrenchyFungus at Sep 30, 2010,
Also, i most definetly don't recommend deuchars indian pale ale...it's revolting. That is all.
-
Quote by womblecelt
Also, i most definetly don't recommend deuchars indian pale ale...it's revolting. That is all.

Stop talking shite.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Stop talking shite.
wrong!!! it's akin to sweaty socks!
-
Quote by womblecelt
wrong!!! it's akin to sweaty socks!

Your sweat must taste really nice, then.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I once heard an American woman in the Standing Order pronounce it "Doochers". I shook my head and walked away
FALKIRK

Quote by Minkaro

Check out my Tunes
Quote by Rocking-Rob
Why does no one visit Aberdeen

...do you need to ask?
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by TheBurningFish
...do you need to ask?

It's nice when it's (rarely) sunny.

It's just the poor choice to make everything out of grey granite, if it was like yorkshire stone it would be nice, but it's grey

Ahh well up the dons!
Quote by FrenchyFungus
fairplay!

Actually i wouldn't listen to me, i am an expert in the fields of buckfast and merrydown (both gold and silver label)
-
Quote by FrenchyFungus

I'd sig that if it was about me.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by Rocking-Rob
Why does no one visit Aberdeen

I go up every now and then to visit my mate at uni. I thought it was a pretty cool place. Bit small though compared to Newcastle, think I'd get a bit bored living there.
Quote by SMH07
I go up every now and then to visit my mate at uni. I thought it was a pretty cool place. Bit small though compared to Newcastle, think I'd get a bit bored living there.

Only 60k smaller than Newcastle, ~30k students as well

It's one of those places you sort of need the right group of mates and knowledge of where to go to really appreciate it. Like some clubs will be empty some nights but jammers another
Quote by womblecelt
fairplay!

Actually i wouldn't listen to me, i am an expert in the fields of buckfast and merrydown (both gold and silver label)

...figures
FALKIRK

Quote by Minkaro

Check out my Tunes
Quote by Rocking-Rob
Only 60k smaller than Newcastle, ~30k students as well

It's one of those places you sort of need the right group of mates and knowledge of where to go to really appreciate it. Like some clubs will be empty some nights but jammers another

Dunno, it just seems like a smaller place. Probably just the areas I was though, it was mainly around Union Street, then down towards the beach and stuff.

I always have a good time up there when I go. Most of the people I met were Irish though, first time I went I think I met about 5 Scottish people.
Quote by TheBurningFish
If you're spending a week in Edinburgh? All of it.

Outstanding form.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by SMH07

Compare almost any city in the UK to Newcastle and you'll think it's boring. Newcastle is the best place for a night out in the UK IMO. The whole place becomes one big party venue at the weekend - chuffin' brilliant! The lasses make the place look pretty too...
Quote by FrenchyFungus

There's decent pubs in most areas though. I quite like Doctor's, Bannerman's, The Blue Blazer, Bow Bar and Greyfriar's Bobby.

The Bow's fucking gorgeous. Dagda is well worth it too, tiny little place.
Hmm, I'm gonna fly to Edinburgh in november, to visit a friend of mine in Dundee. I dunno if the places are close to eachother but I'll probably visit some nice pubs in Edinburgh as well, oughta follow this thread
...marmalade is my jam.
I remember a family holiday to Edinburgh, absolute torture. Then again, I was too young to enjoy all the pubs and bars.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by webbtje
The Bow's fucking gorgeous. Dagda is well worth it too, tiny little place.

Indeed, great wee pub.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Incidentally, I think I might have walked past you or someone who looks oddly like you in the Nicolson street Tesco at about 2AM, ages ago. I'd feel creeped out if I were you.