Hi everyone!

So I've been thinking about my guitar and kind of want to paint some stuff on it. Nothing too complex, just add a bit of flair make it my own type thing.

I was wondering how feasible this thought is? I've looked around and seen a bunch of stuff on complete repaints (definitely not what I want to do). Basically it would just be painting some things on top of the paint that is already there.

Any insight on how to do this? Like, would I have to try to sand away the lacquer where I want to add to it or could I just put paint a little bit over it? How much time/effort would I be looking at for doing this?

I guess to put it in perspective size-wise, I think the painting area would be around a 12-square-inch circle near the volume/tone pots.

Thanks!
Get a pretty high-grain sandpaperand sand off the laquer. Then have a field day with it.

Then clear coat it again.
Sweet! Thanks.

I suppose I should probably try this on my cheap guitar that I don't play anymore before I attempt it on a guitar I like...

Any thoughts on how long I should expect this to take?
Yeah, trying it on a cheap guitar first would be a good idea

Eh, sanding it will be fast. The paint will depend on how you paint it.
If you do it by hand, you'll probably have to let each coat dry for maybe a day, with a few coats. If you spray it (with a stencil), you should only have to do one or two coats, but it will take longer to dry.
Quote by TJHague

Any insight on how to do this? Like, would I have to try to sand away the lacquer where I want to add to it or could I just put paint a little bit over it? How much time/effort would I be looking at for doing this?

You'd need to sand the laquer off all of the guitar. You can't really do that large of a spot touch-up.
..I was watching my death.