Hey there UG

I recently joined a metalcore/deathcore type band, and due to the nature of the music (and the guitarists not wanting to tune between every song) the guitars are tuned in drop B.

I have a 5 string bass, I don't really want to set up any of my basses for alternate tunings.

I figured out, in theory, that I could get away with just playing in B standard on my 5 string, as every string (except the b string) would just be 2 semitones lower than the guitar player's respective strings. Would this work well in practice? The only problem I can think of would be if a riff used alot of open F# or other such strings.

As an alternative, I could tune to drop A, then get a capo to capo the 2nd fret. Or I could tune my strings UP, but that seems undesirable.

tl;dr: need drop B, have 5 string, leave standard, use capo or tune up?
Capo. Or pitch shifter. Both with Drop A.
EDIT: I doubt you'll need open F#'s unless you're going to play a bass solo or something.....and you can easilly compensate be playing 5 notes higher on a lower string.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Sep 30, 2010,
If you can pull off the songs with standard b than do that, if you cant than do the Drop A capo.
Rattle Your Goddamn Head!
Stop making things awkward for yourself and leave it in standard tuning. Just tranpose whatever riffs into standard tuning, it's not too difficult. It'll help you become a better musician too and improve your ear.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
^ Wouldn't detuning the bass make everything unawkward? It'll just make everything simpler instead of making it an unecessary trouble.
pinga
For the sake of shifting around a few notes, I'd hardly call it an unnecessary trouble...
Quote by skater dan0
Thanks for the input all, lots of good advice. And while the downtuning thing seems the best, I don't want to set up my bass (like i said in the OP)

I'm gonna follow this:

Quote by fleajr_1412
Stop making things awkward for yourself and leave it in standard tuning. Just tranpose whatever riffs into standard tuning, it's not too difficult. It'll help you become a better musician too and improve your ear.

It seems best for me, and my bass

I really do appreciate all the input though
Last edited by JamieMcMe at Sep 30, 2010,
Whoops, I thought you mean you had OTHER basses you didn't want to set up.

My fault lol.
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
Its still unnecessary.

I see what you mean, and I understand it completely. But choosing between changing a few notes and spending 20/30 pounds on a new set strings seems a no brainer to me

Quote by JamieMcMe
Thanks for the input all, lots of good advice. And while the downtuning thing seems the best, I don't want to set up my bass (like i said in the OP)

I'm gonna follow this:

It seems best for me, and my bass

I really do appreciate all the input though

No problem
Quote by skater dan0
Lol, it's no problem. I do have other basses, but with the variety of music I play I don't think I can justify having one specific tuning to each bass, if you get what I mean?

Sorry for not being so clear xD
Quote by fleajr_1412
I see what you mean, and I understand it completely. But choosing between changing a few notes and spending 20/30 pounds on a new set strings seems a no brainer to me

I get that. If it were me though, i'd actually spend $50 on the set up just to make my life easier, but I can see why some wouldnt haha.

edit: God I hate the feeling of only having one bass and feeling limited. I can't wait till i have a 5 and I wont need to detune my 4 string!
pinga
Last edited by Cb4rabid at Sep 30, 2010,
one of the great things about extended range guitars and basses is that you can tune to standard and still have access to notes normally only possible with downtuning. With proper technique, you should be able to play nearly every riff thrown at you as long as you know your notes on the fretboard. Sure, some riffs would be easier if you downtuned, but think of it this way: If you learn to play said riff in a different position with different technique, it will help you improve in your playing.

This is one of the main reasons i play ERGs and ERBs. While other players are tuning down, having to restring, intonate, etc their instruments, i can keep everything the same and still hit the same notes.
As a bass player I'm really not that big on drop tunings. One of my old bands used to tune to drop D so I tuned to D standard, I just liked it a lot better. My advice would be to try it both ways, and see which one you like better.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Ive been in situations like that before. I usually use GP5 to print off the tabs in standard notation so as long as the tuning doesnt go below a B (this includes Drop B, Drop C ect) I can read it.

If you can't read standard notation or don't want to learn than I suggest B standard. Since you don't have to worry about barred power chords and stuff it makes more sense for the bass to be in a standard tuning.
if you got a load of 16th note riffs with alternate picking then youre probably going to find things easiest tuning to drop b, so you can vaguely follow the guitars. at least thats what i do