So lately it feels as if my bass playing skills have just been thrown in the trash. I consider myself normally to be at the high part of intermediate as far as playing goes, but for some reason for the past few weeks, my skills have been totally trash. I haven't been able to properly keep time, my runs and fills all sound the same, and I've been so uninspired that I can't write down a decent riff without using some kind of trippy delay effect or making my bass sound like anything but a bass. Does the bass forum have any suggestions?
Take a week off, maybe your trying to hard.
E Family
E-Son to OldiebutNewbie
E-Brother to Andrea55
E-Brother to guitarxo
E-Uncle to Basti95
I tried that but i get these random compulsions to play and then when I sit down its like everything's gone again and I sound like trash haha.
play drums for a while. youll find that after a while you need to stop embarrassing yourself and bass will be awesome again trust me
Hahahahah dude I totally love that idea. If only I had a drum set in my flat. I'm studying abroad in Europe and I have one at home, but I will totally do that next time i have a dry spell at home
Quote by xero1123
Hahahahah dude I totally love that idea. If only I had a drum set in my flat. I'm studying abroad in Europe and I have one at home, but I will totally do that next time i have a dry spell at home

or, try precussive bass
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
That'd be cool, but I am really really really bad at slap. I have tried so many times to learn the technique and it never turns out good haha. I just don't get how you have time to mute and pop and slap in between. It like blows my mind
Do you have a teacher? If not, get one. If you do, ask him/her to give you something new to do. Listen to completely different music, play a different instrument, try a different tuning. There's loads of things you could do!
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by xero1123
That'd be cool, but I am really really really bad at slap. I have tried so many times to learn the technique and it never turns out good haha. I just don't get how you have time to mute and pop and slap in between. It like blows my mind

i mean without any real tonality: listen to the main riff in lacquer head by primus: its essentially precussive, at least, in my opinion it is. to some its just "muted notes"
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
You can try playing music you normally wouldn't consider playing, maybe broaden your horizons a bit. Or you could give yourself a project, a piece normally beyond your skill level that you could spend a good amount of time working on to get your chops back up.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Learn pianoforte.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Banjocal
i mean without any real tonality: listen to the main riff in lacquer head by primus: its essentially precussive, at least, in my opinion it is. to some its just "muted notes"

Thats a sweet riff. I love them. Maybe I should try learning that song.

You can try playing music you normally wouldn't consider playing, maybe broaden your horizons a bit. Or you could give yourself a project, a piece normally beyond your skill level that you could spend a good amount of time working on to get your chops back up.

I did try that before by trying to learn Come On Come Over and Kuru/Speak Like a Child. Awesome songs. I was bad at them hahaha. Maybe I'll try learning 2112 by Rush. Originally I tried to challenge myself by trying to learn it by ear. This time I might get a tab though....
Here's a tip from me =)
Do you sleep well enough? Because if you sleep bad, or not enough. All of your prestations are going to suffer. At least, thats what I have. After a long day at school with not much sleep, I don't even bother picking up my bass because I know I won't even be able to play some standard rhytem lines. I just don't have the concentration. Maybe it helps you and yeah... You could also try and play some different music, because if you keep coming up with the same stuff, then I think it's abvious you lack variation and inspiration. Think that's the key for you =)
Quote by rbnbass
Here's a tip from me =)
Do you sleep well enough? Because if you sleep bad, or not enough. All of your prestations are going to suffer. At least, thats what I have. After a long day at school with not much sleep, I don't even bother picking up my bass because I know I won't even be able to play some standard rhytem lines. I just don't have the concentration. Maybe it helps you and yeah... You could also try and play some different music, because if you keep coming up with the same stuff, then I think it's abvious you lack variation and inspiration. Think that's the key for you =)

Actually, you know what? I haven't been getting a whole lot of sleep, I think you may have hit the nail on the head there... I've been sick for the last two weeks too, so I think you could totally be right. Any suggestions on different styles of music? My library consists mainly of classic rock, some nu-metal, more metally stuff like Bullet for my valentine and Mudvayne and BTBAM, as well as Jaco Postorius, Primus, and some other Jazz.

Do you have a teacher? If not, get one. If you do, ask him/her to give you something new to do. Listen to completely different music, play a different instrument, try a different tuning. There's loads of things you could do!

I had a teacher a few years ago when I was in high school but I didn't really have time to go because I was doing so much other stuff. I've been thinking about getting lessons again but now I don't have the money haha. What kind of cool tunings are there?
I love talking about tunings so I am so here

what have you tried?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Haha mostly Ive only done some dropped tunings. I'm not exactly sure how some of the alternate tunings work since i'm not sure if i should tune up or down haha.
An interesting weird one to noodle with is DGDG (drop D and drop the A too)

also try some kind of open tunings and possibly attempt some slide :P
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
That sounds very interesting I will try that. Also, is it possible to have a slide not sound like utter crap on bass? I have tried before and it always sounds horrible lol. Maybe it would sound cool with flats or something
Try cello tuning too (CGDA, low to high).
Quote by skater dan0
Thanks a lot guys! I will def try out this stuff. Are there any songs to learn in those tunings?
To really break out of the rut, go get some sheet music for one of Bach's cello suits and learn it in the cello tuning.
Quote by skater dan0
I started learning the Cello Suite 1. This is amazing haha. I feel so smart listening and playing classical haha.
You've reached a plateau by the sounds of it. Take a break, listen to a bit of new music and focus on another hobby for a week of two - you may feel re-energised soon and get back into the 'swing' of things.
signature
Whenever I hit a spot like that I go back to learning more about music theory, driving scales and arpeggios into my head. Find a new scale or arpeggio and spend a good chunk of time repeating it, working on rhythm at the same time. After a while I can't help but break out into something with the newfound knowledge I've gained.

EDIT: And I'll tell you what I always wish I could here during times like these- You probably don't suck, you're just in a rut. You'll feel awesome again soon.
Quote by Momentosis
You guys are getting raped and killed?

Quote by jonathan666666

You win.

In The Amber
Come check us out!
Quote by xero1123
I started learning the Cello Suite 1. This is amazing haha. I feel so smart listening and playing classical haha.

I think that's a great way to go about it, it sums up a bit of what everybody said. Also, if you're good with theory, try analyzing the music that's different from what you normally play and see if any of it seems applicable for writing/improvising for you in whatever genre you play, it'll be a great way to change up what you're used to doing. Sleep a lot, and if possible, try eating healthier - that should help with energy.

You should still learn 2112 though.
Yea haha. I agree with eating better. I've been so pressed for time lately that I've just been eating a ton of mcdonalds which is soooo not good for me and I think i've gained some weight too... not good haha.