and I want to modify them so I can put them in my computer.

The speaker wires look like this:

Basic speaker wire

and the wire that would connect into my computer looks like this:

Basic 3.5mm wire

however I could probably find 3.5mm wire with 2 smaller wires side by side (negative and positive I'm guessing)

so, my questions are:

1. if I stripped the wires of a 3.5mm tip that has 2 smaller wires side by side, then could I hook one of these speakers up to my computer?

2. would this work without me having to buy anything (aka just using stripped tips of various wires?)

thanks a lot
Dude, horrible pictures.

Just buy a decent system is my advice. =)

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Z-2300-THX-Certified-Speaker-Subwoofer/dp/B0002SQ2P2/ref=sr_1_5?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285874021&sr=8-5

I have these, they've just got a headphone size plug, so it's great for taking out to parties or kickbacks or whatever and hooking up to an ipod, and that sub kicks man.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Get a stereo receiver and put the speaker cables in that, then from the stereoreciver use a cable to your computer.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by DisasterMatt

so, my questions are:

1. if I stripped the wires of a 3.5mm tip that has 2 smaller wires side by side, then could I hook one of these speakers up to my computer?

2. would this work without me having to buy anything (aka just using stripped tips of various wires?)

It sounds like you don't know enough about this stuff to be meddling with it. I'd recommend going to a mom and pop electronic parts store and asking how you'd go about it; they will usually be really helpful. Sure, you could buy a new speaker, but if you do this not only will you have a one-of-a-kind computer speaker, but a new skill as well.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
^ what he said...
flintazra wrote:

I think the next person to shoot up a school should list Jonas brothers and Hannah Montana as his favorite "musicians."
It would give off near very little sound or none at all

-the speaker itself is running off the output the computer gives (not much to power with at all)
-the sound signal comps send out are relatively small
-no preamp/volume on the speaker to increase volume
=the output on the comp sends signals (the speaker recieves sound in the negative side ((including the electricit))y and returns elec through its positive end, ) So naturally you cant pair them up

Summary, you will not succeed

ifyou want this to work you would need a power supply for the speaker

how it should go

computer sends signal , signal is recieved by this 'power supply' and the power supply will send power to the speaker along with the sound signal mixed in.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Last edited by Deadlock Riff at Sep 30, 2010,
those pics are so blurry i couldnt tell if they were wires at all
Quote by Thrill-house
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.

Quote by Dopemgs

P.S: You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome

Quote by PsiGuy60
PS. To Conor:
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.
[/desperateattempttogetsigged]
Quote by Kensai
Get a stereo receiver and put the speaker cables in that, then from the stereoreciver use a cable to your computer.

This. I do the same thing with some speakers like that for my TV. Hooked them up to my surround sound box, and to the TV from there
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
you need an amplifier. Those speakers are passive, that is, they are just speakers. the output power from your computer is tiny, if you put the right plug on the end of that cable you'd barely hear anything.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
The sound card > receiver idea works perfectly. Do that. Especially since you don't seem to know enough about this to take a shot a re-routing. As stated, the current setup of your computer would be useless with those kind of speakers. By a receiver, and get/use an appropriate sound card. If you need recommendations, let me know.
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by DisasterMatt
yeah i tried it and it didn't work.

scrapped.

Yup. your options are quite simple..

A. Buy a speaker amplifier (send the sound signal from your comp into the amp, amp powers the speakers)

or B. buy some powered speakers with a built in amp

example - http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1962&brandID=2
Quote by Wikipedia.org
These nouns are often used with a form of "to be" rather than "to have," e.g., "he is pwnage" rather than "he has pwnage". Either is a more emphatic way of expressing the simpler "he pwns,"