Page 1 of 2
I'm looking for a good guitar with a nice heavy sound for metal, a good tone for guitar solos and melodies, and something that has a decent clean sound as well,
preferable near the $2000 range, but I may be willing to spend more for an amazing guitar.

I'm leaning more towards an ESP, Dean, or an Ibanez but i need a little help narrowing the search.

any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Well I love Ibanez Prestige's. Look at a Schecter c-1 hellraiser as well. Great guitar for the price.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
I'm a Dean guy, so I'd suggest an ML or Razorback. Dave Mustaine's sig models have pretty good reviews. If you get an ML or Razorback make sure it's got a Floyd Rose, even if you dont use it, cause all the higher end ones have it, and the ones that don't are typically not as good.
If I were you I'd go with a Jackson. Randy Rhodes model is legendary and fantastic, they've got 'em with trem or fixed bridge. So many bands recored with that guitar, amazing fast thin neck, great tone. If you don't like the v shape, then I'd go for the SLS3, that is a sweet guitar, Gojira's choice. Mark Morton Dominion model great as well, but that is definitely not a "metal" guitar in the way that they are typically defined.
Peavey XXX 40efx
Schecter C1+ (sd 59bA4 neck/sd Custom8 Bridge)
Washburn Idol WI45(AirNorton/CrunchLab)

ESP/LTD Viper 300(EMG81b,89n)
Boss SD-1, Crybaby, MXR 6-band EQ,
Digitech DL-8 Delay Looper, SupaCharga
ESP EC 1000 beautiful guitars and they play well not fussed about the EMG's can always swap them out
Amps:
Orange Rocker 30
Marshall JCM 800 1960 4x12
Guitars:
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400
Pedals:
Boss SD-1
Boss GE-7
Behringer TU-300

www.myspace.com/oceansatealaska
Very suprised no one has mentioned Caparison, they are great, would be my number 1 choice if I had the cash. Also the jackson SLS3. Charvel So cal, Ibanez S.

Your sound will be determined by not only the guitar but the pickup choice. BKP Painkillers are tits.

Also check out the gear for metal thread: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1157650
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Last edited by maddnotez at Sep 30, 2010,
Quote by HunterTN
I'm a Dean guy, so I'd suggest an ML or Razorback. Dave Mustaine's sig models have pretty good reviews. If you get an ML or Razorback make sure it's got a Floyd Rose, even if you dont use it, cause all the higher end ones have it, and the ones that don't are typically not as good.

Not sure if serious
Quote by iLaxative
Not sure if serious

Hope Not
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Quote by HunterTN

no offense dude, but deans are just horrible guitars....unless it's an expensive dean.
Member of The 7 String Legion

Peavey Triple X Head
Mahieu 4x12 Cab (celestion g12t-75)
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Various Pedals, and Guitars.
Carvin and Ibanez (Prestige or J Custom) are great and versatile guitars.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
You have 2k? Go do some research. Lurk on TGP or rigtalk for a few weeks. You'll find loads of better guitars then the trash that is rec'd here. Also, this should be in eg, not gg&a.
If I had 2k today to buy a new guitar I would spring for one of:
A mid to late 90's Parker Fly Deluxe - ~800-1200 usual going price
Caparison Angelus - $ Vary by model, but all caparison models would be great for metal
Suhr Modern - ~$1500-2500 . Kick. Ass. Period.
Edwards ELP - ~$800-1200 Very Nice LP copy
Carvin Make nice guitars too, but if you go that route buy used as Carvins generally don't hold their value as well as other guitars. Used CT's go for ~$800-1400.
I would think in this thread he has had pretty good recs actually...

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I'm talking about the schecter and dean recs. If he has 2k he is willing to throw down for a great guitar, these are not guitars that he's going to want to look at. I should mention Vigier too if you can find one. Fantastic guitars.
yeah but this is UG,

no "Recomend me" thread is comletel with out retard fan boys.

if he wanted he could look into MIJ Schecters though.

i am with you on Caparison and Vieger ( even if they are french ) though. A Caparison Dellinger would be pretty good.

though i will stick with the J customs for pure versitility, style and resale value.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Caparison or Jackson..
I'm not sure what type of metal you are looking to play but one thing I have noticed at all the concerts I have been to (extreme metal) is that literally every guitarist is playing a Jackson.. I subsequently went and checked out some Jacksons and ended up buying a KV-2 and I absolutely love it.
ESP and Ibanez make some solid metal guitars as well, look around and try a bunch of guitars out before you spend any money so you can make a good choice. You will know after playing a guitar if it's the guitar for you
Quote by HunterTN

go back to your cave man
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Ibanez Jem, Washburn N4, a Caparison...You've got loads of great options at this price mate.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
I bought an Agile AG-3000 and I would say that's it's as good as any mid to high end Ibanez. The stock pickup are actually surprisingly good. Of course, if you don't like active pups, you can change to something of your liking.

Take in consideration that I am not the greatest metal player in the world but this will give you an idea :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkt-IVivmIg
Quote by Symtex
I bought an Agile AG-3000 and I would say that's it's as good as any mid to high end Ibanez. The stock pickup are actually surprisingly good. Of course, if you don't like active pups, you can change to something of your liking.

Take in consideration that I am not the greatest metal player in the world but this will give you an idea :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkt-IVivmIg

Please leave. No one shopping around $2,000 is going to look at a copy brand with sub-par equipment. Agile might be good if you can't afford the real thing, but they're not a replacement, only a substitute.

TS, if I had that much, I'd be getting either a JEM or upper-end ESP. Or, if you can find a luthier, a custom guitar. It'll be an end-all guitar, and you shouldn't need many others, if at all.

Other thing is the obligatory "which amp" question.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by Pink Muse
Please leave. No one shopping around $2,000 is going to look at a copy brand with sub-par equipment. Agile might be good if you can't afford the real thing, but they're not a replacement, only a substitute.

TS, if I had that much, I'd be getting either a JEM or upper-end ESP. Or, if you can find a luthier, a custom guitar. It'll be an end-all guitar, and you shouldn't need many others, if at all.

Other thing is the obligatory "which amp" question.

Sub-par equipment ? really ? I am sorry but I have seen so many so called "high-end" guitar that doesn't come even close to some copy-brand. You are way too attach to the logo on the headstock. If you want to pay a premium because it says <insert overpriced brand> then go ahead.

I have the "Real Thing" at home (Gibson) and I feel like I payed way to much for what I am getting.
Quote by Symtex
Sub-par equipment ? really ? I am sorry but I have seen so many so called "high-end" guitar that doesn't come even close to some copy-brand. You are way too attach to the logo on the headstock. If you want to pay a premium because it says <insert overpriced brand> then go ahead.

I have the "Real Thing" at home (Gibson) and I feel like I payed way to much for what I am getting.

Alright. Let's take a look at the AG-3000, shall we? This is all being taken from Rondo's site. Here's a link in case you want to double check.

http://www.rondomusic.com/product849.html

First, the woods are not the best cuts you'll get, in comparison to a better brand name's offerings. They don't specify any great cuts, which indicates they're using worse wood to cut costs. So already we're starting on a shaky foundation.

No-name pickups. Yeah, people attach a premium to brand names, but you know what? Brand names aren't entitled to charge those costs by being shoddy. I can't say they're bad pickups, but no-name pickups are also indicative of lesser quality.

Graph Tech makes nice nuts. I don't have a criticism here. It shows that Agile is willing to use premium products, and specify the brand name, so as to differentiate it from something of lesser-quality.

Premium bridges on a guitar will be specified. They did not specify, meaning a less-than-great part was used again. Companies point out when they use a TonePros or similar bridge, since it lets the customer know they're getting a certain level of quality with their guitar. No-name bridge.

My only problem with the neck is the adjective "fast," which really is a subjective term. Again though, likely sub-par woods to cut costs. Same issue with the fretboard wood, though ebony is harder to get a bad cut of.

Grover tuners, once again they're pointing out premium parts, to show the higher level of quality. Why don't they do this for all their parts if they aren't all high quality?

The other issue is the mixing of high-resistance pots with active pickups. Only one of those is a passive; they should have seperate volume/tone pots for the actives and passives. This is something a better guitar wouldn't mix up.

I'm not saying the Agile is good or bad for its price, but when the TS is willing to spend over four times that amount, and can get a much better guitar, why suggest something clearly of lower quality? I can't say you have or haven't played better copy guitars, that's your experience. But I can safely say that if those copy brands were better than the originals, there would be a higher cost for them, and the originals would either shape up or go out of business.
Quote by Wisthekiller

The difference between you and I Pink is that I actually own several Agile Guitar, Including AG-3000. I can say that with little money (Caps/Bridge/Pups), you can make all the little thing that made them inferior to higher end guitar dissipate. Pups/Caps are so suggestive. Most of time, player will change them anyway. I'll will agree with you on the bridge. It's the first thing I changed on all my Agile the minute I receive them. As far as Tuner, I never had issue with them and the nut has always been cut properly.

Worst cut ? Holy crap. It show that you never had one in your hands. The ebony fret board and the fret wire are perfect. The neck profile it not as thin as the Wizard neck but this is again an suggestive preference.

Let's agree to disagree. I am not saying that Higher end guitar are not better but the difference that makes then better are not worth 2k $.
Get a Blackmachine or a JP6 with Piezo
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Quote by Symtex

Let's agree to disagree. I am not saying that Higher end guitar are not better but the difference that makes then better are not worth 2k $.

No.

They really really really are.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Ibanez XIPHOS. I have the XPT-700; it looks fantastic and plays awesome.
Quote by pielover375
So last year, I put some potatoes in this jar and forgot about them. Today, I found them, and when I opened the jar, there is a puddle at the bottom and it smells like alcohol. If I drink this, do you think I will die, or have I made potato vodka?
Quote by Symtex
The difference between you and I Pink is that I actually own several Agile Guitar, Including AG-3000. I can say that with little money (Caps/Bridge/Pups), you can make all the little thing that made them inferior to higher end guitar dissipate. Pups/Caps are so suggestive. Most of time, player will change them anyway. I'll will agree with you on the bridge. It's the first thing I changed on all my Agile the minute I receive them. As far as Tuner, I never had issue with them and the nut has always been cut properly.

Worst cut ? Holy crap. It show that you never had one in your hands. The ebony fret board and the fret wire are perfect. The neck profile it not as thin as the Wizard neck but this is again an suggestive preference.

I won't agree. Tom already pointed out, they really are.

He's paying a lot for a guitar- why should he have to pay for more parts, plus installation, and still be stuck with worse woods?

And I never said anything bad about the tuners or nut. I pointed out that they show when they use premium parts as opposed to no-name parts.
Quote by Wisthekiller

The thing that you guys don't get is that If Agiles guitar were sold in store , they would probably sell for around 1200-1400$ USD. The reason why Agile guitar are cheap it because there is no middle man.

It's not worst wood. I have quite a few guitar player at work. The guy sitting next to me have over 25 guitars for the 70's-80 ranging from his 1971 Les Paul Deluxe, 1977 Ibanez Double Neck, Hondo, American Strat etc... I let him tried my AL-3000 GT P90 and he was amazed of how much guitar it was for so little. Heck, I even sold my Gibson Les Paul Standard 2009 because I prefered my Agile (I did change the bridge and put some Lollar).

I am done buying into headstock logo. I think I am going to get rid of my Gibson studio this weekend for an 1981 Westone Matsomoko Semi-hollow.
and for that money their competition would blow them out of the ****ing water.

thats the reason they are sold cheap without a distributer, its the only reason they sell.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
You guys sound like you have never played an agile before. Honestly how can you guys justify the price tag on most Gibsons? I bought my American Standard Strat for less than a grand, yet for that same money the only Gibson I could have bought was their cheaper Sg Special or Les Paul Studio. If I wanted one of their better guitars I would have to fork out $2000+ ,such a huge gap between the quality and the price is madness! Even if you don't like Agile take Tokai for example, they can make a Les Paul copy which just sounds like sex for about a 1000 bucks, while a gibson of a similar quality would cost 2-3x that price, minimum. The difference between them is the name and nothing more, that's the only reason why I could see someone buying a Gibson, at least when they want to sell it, they'll get a good portion of their money back.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Time to lay down some infomation for you.

so what if gibson is over priced?

nobody here has mentioned gibson lol

just to let you know why i think you are paying a premium fir agile guitars, dispite wht you think.

your agruement that they would cost 1400 through a distributer would mean that your saying this

Agile intrceptor - Rondos most expensive 6 string super strat made in a clearing in vietnam would be priced at about 1300-1400 USD yeah?
http://www.rondomusic.com/interceptorpro625ebblackflame.html

would be on par, if not better than the following...

Ibanez S5470 MIJ
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-S5470-Prestige-Electric-Guitar?sku=518112

Ibanez RG2550E MIJ
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG2550E-RG-Prestige-Series-Electric-Guitar?sku=514210

Ibanez RGD2120Z MIJ
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RGD2120Z-Prestige-Electric-Guitar?sku=584137

ESP LTD EC1000 MIK
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Deluxe-EC1000-Electric-Guitar?sku=516629

ESP LTD MH1000 MIK
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Deluxe-MH1000-Electric-Guitar-with-EMGs?sku=512954

ESP STD MI MIJ
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-MI-Standard-NTB-Electric-Guitar?sku=512955

ESP STD ECII MIJ
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-Standard-Series-Eclipse-II?sku=516653

Charvel SoCal Style 1 MIA
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Charvel-SoCal-Style-1-HH-Electric-Guitar?sku=H65801

All those guitars are around the same, if not cheaper than what you think the Agile would cost is sold by distrubters.

Get real and take your imported crap somewhere else.

To those who own Agile, they are good guitars for the price you are paying, but nothing more than that. They certainly have no place in a thread like thiss were TS is willing to spend up to $2000.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Page 1 of 2