I have an ltd eclipse 500 and a crate glx 212, and whenever I play chords on the higher strings, it just sounds...not good. I can barely hear the higher notes. Is it my pickups (active EMGs)?
It's most likely the active pickups driving your solid state amp too hard. That results in squarewave distortion, which is essentially a fuzz. Fuzzes, of course, don't generally have good chord definition.
Try turning down the volume on your guitar a bit and turning up the volume on the amp. Turning the gain and bass down will help as well.

As usual with this kind of thing, the complete solution is a better amp. Since you didn't ask I assume that you're just trying to improve the tone of what you already have.
Quote by AcousticMirror
number 1 factor is your amp.

Definition of notes in chords is one of the main things I look at in amps. Its one of those thing that you can't fake. Good amps have it, shitty amps don't.

That said, Roc8998's tips will definitely improve your clarity.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Definition of notes in chords is one of the main things I look at in amps. Its one of those thing that you can't fake. Good amps have it, shitty amps don't.

That said, Roc8998's tips will definitely improve your clarity.

you and i. i like the cut of your jibe.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I see you've discovered the "Deathbucker". To quote Guthrie Govan on this one, "it's basically a humbucker who's output is so high that it destroys your tone". It is basically saturating your amp because it is outputting way way too much signal, hence a loss of clarity. There isn't really a fix other than getting a passive set of pickups (which generally sound better but less loud so you perceive them as less brootalz) or look into a tube amp with a large amount of headroom. The latter solution however will NOT completely fix your problem, as the signal is being muddied at your guitar.
yeah, I was thinking about getting new gear altogether

@311ZOSOVHJH: I used to play metalcore like, 3 years ago. Now I play stuff like red hot chili peppers, the smashing pumpkins, at the drive-in, the strokes; generally less heavy stuff. i bought a few pedals over the summer: BOSS dd-20, ns-2, DOD fx25b, snarling dog whin-o-wah, and a digitech whammy 4

I really don't know the first thing about tube amps, and I was looking into getting an Epiphone Valve Jr as a starting point, and a jekyll and hyde overdrive/distortion pedal
Quote by superchunk912
yeah, I was thinking about getting new gear altogether

@311ZOSOVHJH: I used to play metalcore like, 3 years ago. Now I play stuff like red hot chili peppers, the smashing pumpkins, at the drive-in, the strokes; generally less heavy stuff. i bought a few pedals over the summer: BOSS dd-20, ns-2, DOD fx25b, snarling dog whin-o-wah, and a digitech whammy 4

I really don't know the first thing about tube amps, and I was looking into getting an Epiphone Valve Jr as a starting point, and a jekyll and hyde overdrive/distortion pedal

Epiphone Valve jr would improve the note separation drastically. But not many amps wouldn't compared to that Crate.

The EV jr would probably fit the bill pretty well for those bands, but you would have to turn it up quite a bit to get the necessary amount of gain.
If you're not playing as heavy stuff anymore, maybe you should look into getting a nice set of passives as well as a new amp.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
I wanted to get a used mim strat and put in a prewired pickguard. Factoring those costs, I guess I could spend about $300-500. the crate amp is really my brother's, but he doesn't play guitar anymore, so I don't know if I can sell it or not. As for the guitar, I'm probably gonna hold onto the whole thing, because I have a special bond to it (it was my first guitar)
Quote by patriotplayer90
Epiphone Valve jr would improve the note separation drastically. But not many amps wouldn't compared to that Crate.

That Crate is actually quite good at note definition with high gain settings, and the EVJ is a definite downgrade.
The Crate is just not as well suited to softer rock, it's great for death metal, does other high gain tones well too, just not as good at sounding like a warm overdriven tube amp.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU

That Crate is actually quite good at note definition with high gain settings, and the EVJ is a definite downgrade.
The Crate is just not as well suited to softer rock, it's great for death metal, does other high gain tones well too, just not as good at sounding like a warm overdriven tube amp.

I wouldn't say the VJr is good for clarity by any means, but saying that that Crate is better is crazy. You always seem to root for these low end SS amps because they're good for death metal, whether or not the TS plays death metal. In this case he doesn't so a VJr would be an upgrade.

Quote by patriotplayer90
The EV jr would probably fit the bill pretty well for those bands, but you would have to turn it up quite a bit to get the necessary amount of gain.

This is the reason I wouldn't recommend a VJr for note clarity. By the time its breaking up enough for those genres its pretty fizzy.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Sep 30, 2010,
Quote by STABxYOU

You're joking right? I had that amp, it absolutely sucks. I recorded two versions of a song in a studio, one with that amp and one with the mg. and the marshall mg was in a completely different class tonewise. A freaking mg! That should tell you something, and I have the proo.f if you need reassurance
Quote by tubetime86
I wouldn't say the VJr is good for clarity by any means, but saying that that Crate is better is crazy. You always seem to root for these low end SS amps because they're good for death metal, whether or not the TS plays death metal. In this case he doesn't so a VJr would be an upgrade.

I'm fully recognizing the EVJ as better for what he wants.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by superchunk912
I wanted to get a used mim strat and put in a prewired pickguard. Factoring those costs, I guess I could spend about $300-500. the crate amp is really my brother's, but he doesn't play guitar anymore, so I don't know if I can sell it or not. As for the guitar, I'm probably gonna hold onto the whole thing, because I have a special bond to it (it was my first guitar)

OK. I get the part about you wanting to keep your guitar. Totally.

Are you also married to the pickups in that guitar? Nothing wrong with EMGs but passives would be better for what you play these days. RHCP with EMGs

I have a MIM Strat and highly recommend it for the price used. A used MIJ Strat would be cool too. Do you have a separate guitar budget or is the $500 your total total.

So do you want a new amp or no?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 30, 2010,
I expect/am willing to spend around $900 total: amp, guitar, prewired pickguard and OD/distortion pedal
So this is just me right!

I would NOT spend $279 on that. You can find a used modded Strat that has decent enough pickups for that price damn near. Additionally, you have a guitar you love now...focus on the amp first. That is just me.
what starter tube amp would you guys suggest? are there any better options than a EVJ? I should probably mention that i still like to play a little bit of Buckethead every now and then
Egnater Rebel 20/30
Egnater Tweaker
Jet City JCA20
B52 AT60
Peavey 6505+ (not best option)
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey VTM
Peavey Vypyr
Peavey XXX/XXL/Ultra
Kustom Defender 5
Fender SuperChamp
Fender Blues Jr/Pro Jr