Hello,

I recently purchased a Vintage V100 which costed me around 210 euros but I am not really satisfied by the playability that it offers although it sounds great.
The action is higher than I wanted it to be and the strings are quite hard to bend.

My question is, if I send it for set-up can these issue be fixed?
Can a proper setup make the action go really low with no buzzing frets or thats a guitar matter?
Also, what string gauge/brand do you suggest getting for playing metallica solos and generally metal songs?

The setup would cost about 40 euro as I've been told, or should I sell the V100 and get a KH-202?(I've never played with, can someone describe if it's better than les paul style)?
The KH-202 costs around 450 euro.
Ibanez RG821 + Ibanez TS9
Peavey Vypyr 30 + Sanpera

My song covers on YouTube
Last edited by zefs at Sep 30, 2010,
a set up should fix those problems yes.

metallica use ernie ball slinky strings im pretty sure.

iv never tried the kh, but tried a similar esp and it was awsome, though i didnt like extra jumbo frets.

but if you like doing all the hammet solos its going to be better than the les paul. it has 24 frets for starters, as well as a double cut away and tremolo.
check out a jackson dinky, best superstrats in the world.
Last edited by jkielq91 at Sep 30, 2010,
Also, for the KH-202 it is said that you are paying for the signature and there are better ESP(MH?) guitars on the same price.
If so can anyone suggest me one for about the same badget? 400-500 euro.

Are these the strings?

I dunno about price but I have a M series guitar (basically the same as Hammet's)
It's only a 100 model but it's been suiting me really well and I do some hard rock and heavy metal. Granted I did a picked swap, but it sounds good none the less.
ESP LTD M-100FM Tone Zone (B)/Breed Neck (N) w/ Coil Splits
Fender Electro-Acoustic
Line6 Studio UX2
BOSS DD-6 Digital Delay/DS-1 Distortion Robert Keeley ULTRA Mod
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Dunlop SW-95 Crybaby Slash Wah
I found a used Jackson DXMG Dinky for 300 euros, what do you think?

Last edited by zefs at Sep 30, 2010,
One question about the DXMG, will it sound good on a VOX VT15 or should I keep my V100 les paul?

Thanks

If you want their exact strings, Hetfield uses a skinny top, heavy bottom set and Hammet uses a power slinky set I believe. However, the same strings won't make you play like them.

You're paying a lot for Kirk Hammet's name on the KH-202, for 450 euros it's pretty poor spec. Check out some second hand Ibanez's, for €450 you could probably get a Japanese RG550 or similar, which would be much better spec'd than the KH-202. Alternatively, the M/MH series is basically the KH-202 without the branding.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
Quote by Hidden Hippo
If you want their exact strings, Hetfield uses a skinny top, heavy bottom set and Hammet uses a power slinky set I believe. However, the same strings won't make you play like them.

Yes, I know that I will never play like them the reason I asked what strings they use is because on my guitar it was a bit hard to bend making my play slow.
I suppose on my guitar it's gauge 9 and I need 10. Or is it the other way around?

Quote by zefs
Yes, I know that I will never play like them the reason I asked what strings they use is because on my guitar it was a bit hard to bend making my play slow.
I suppose on my guitar it's gauge 9 and I need 10. Or is it the other way around?

Higher gauge, same notes = more tension = more difficult bends.

As far as the KH-202, they're pretty bad, especially given the price. The bodies aren't bad, the LFR is usually decent, but the pickups are awful and all but one model I saw had horribly uneven frets. Not to mention the lame inlays.

Especially since given the price, you can get a new LTD or a used LTD (and maybe ESP) of much higher quality.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
So I suppose it's gauge 10 and I need 9 then :p

As I said on a previous post, I found a used dxmg dinky but I am not sure if it will sound good on my vox vt15?

Last edited by zefs at Oct 1, 2010,
Most guitars come with 9's on them, so unless you've put some 10's on you'll probably have 9's already.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
Then I am not sure what's wrong. The strings are really tight on the first three frets, then they get loose on middle and then tight on last frets.

I suppose that's normal on guitars, but if you see some guitar videos for example lick library ones you can see that the player doesn't even add pressure to bend. Strings seem way too loose, but it's standard tuning.

Oh well...

Quote by Hidden Hippo
Most guitars come with 9's on them, so unless you've put some 10's on you'll probably have 9's already.

This.

Though you mention the reason for wanting a new guitar is the action is too high- this can also affect bends. Try setting it up and see if that helps. Even if you have to take it to a tech, it's still cheaper than a new guitar.

Also, how long have you been playing? It can take a while to develop finger strength.

As for the Jackson, I don't imagine it'll sound bad. If you can, go to a local music store and try a guitar through a Vox in the store. That's the beauty of modelling amps, most stores carry them, so it makes testing guitars out a little easier.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by zefs
One question about the DXMG, will it sound good on a VOX VT15 or should I keep my V100 les paul?

Thanks

i have a dxmg and tbh its amazing, escpecially when you consider the price. i chose it over a long list of guitar, including the kh (even though i didnt get a chance to try that). the pickups are not amazing but they are still good and i think you will be very pleased with the sound you get with your vox. the neck is the best bit though, it just feels so right when i play on it. the tremolo is also very sturdy.

seriously, you cant go wrong with the dxmg.
Quote by Pink Muse

Also, how long have you been playing? It can take a while to develop finger strength.

I've been playing since May of this year. I don't think it's about finger strength since it's already developed(you can see the string signs on my finger trips from bending pressure,lol)

Quote by jkielq91
i have a dxmg and tbh its amazing, escpecially when you consider the price. i chose it over a long list of guitar, including the kh (even though i didnt get a chance to try that). the pickups are not amazing but they are still good and i think you will be very pleased with the sound you get with your vox. the neck is the best bit though, it just feels so right when i play on it. the tremolo is also very sturdy.

seriously, you cant go wrong with the dxmg.

On the one I found the owner has replaced the pickups with duncan seymour H4

Everything on a guitar is connected, string tension affects the neck relief which affects the action height. If you don't like bending you will want to go down to a lower gauge string set for lighter tension. As the string tension lowers the truss rod pulls back on the neck with comparatively greater force, which can straighten it out depending on how much tension you are dropping. As the neck straightens the action height at the will lower.

Since most guitars in this vein come with 9's, it is entirely possible the original owner put a set of 10's or 11's on and pulled the neck forward drawing the action height up. I've seen people do it and get pissed wondering why their guitar sucks later. My advice is to put some 9's on and play it for a bit to let everything settle before you pay for a setup. By the time the pitch settles from the gauge change you will know if you are enjoying it more. If it is still setup for that gauge it will mostly fall back in line as it was originally.

That or work out so you don't whine about string gauge :P
do you know what gauge strings are on it at the moment? just use a lower gauge. 9s would be worth considering, if you want to be sure it'll be easy to bend. Tell them to lower the action a bit too.

If you still don't like it after all that, then consider a different guitar, but it's probably worth a 40 euro setup just in case it cures your issues.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I am not sure how to tell if it's 9 or 10.
But as other posters said the high action also makes it harder to bend.

I was playing around with the action and I noticed bending being easier on low action but some frets were buzzing so I turned it back up. Anyway, I will go check the dxmg tomorrow and let you know.

high action normally makes it easier to bend. As long as it's not ridiculously high, anyway.

9s on a Les Paul 24.75" scale length should be pretty slack. Unless you hate bending, or just aren't used to it yet, if it feels too stiff odds are it's 10s (or even higher). You could always ask the guys in the shop if they think it has 9s or 10s on there. I can normally tell by feel, but I'm not sure how to tell apart from that (digital calipers? ).

whybag had a good point too, I didn't notice his post before I posted- it might be set up for 9s but have 10s on there.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by zefs

On the one I found the owner has replaced the pickups with duncan seymour H4

oh right, i have no experience with that pickup im afrid, but duncans are usually better than the emg-hz in general, it depends on what sound you want.
yeah 450euros for a kh202 is quite alot. esp ltd s are good. but for that money u can get other models that will do the trick

you could go for a set up- it should , infact will sort out yr issues. and just change the strings