Well, I've been thinking about getting a Gibson SG lately, and in about a month I should have enough money saved up to buy the Standard and still be able to survive on Ramen noodles for a while.

BUT upon looking at them, I got to wondering about possibly going with the SG Specials. I don't particularly care about the looks, as I play guitar for people to listen to, not see.
So, with that in mind, is there really any difference sound wise between the Standard and the Special? Or do you pay $500 for pure aesthetics?

Because if the sound is the same, I'm going with the Special and getting a big fat juicy steak tonight.
Main Gear:
Epi Les Paul Ultra II
Bastard Telecaster
Pignose Legendary 7-100

Manga I'm reading!!!
Bleach, OP, Naruto, GE, Rosario+Vampire, Soul Eater, Kyou Kara Ore Wa, Kimi No Iru Machi, HSD Kenichi, and many more!!!
Just go with whichever one stays in tune.
    But seriously, go with the one that plays and sounds better. Theoretically, the Standard is gonna be the better guitar.
    Last edited by Awfulplayer at Sep 30, 2010,
    Well I haven't been able to find a special I can try out anywhere near me (I'm at college in the mountains of North Carolina, there's not much around me...) so I have no idea how the special plays at all. And I've played a few standards in the past, and really like the feel and sound of them.
    Main Gear:
    Epi Les Paul Ultra II
    Bastard Telecaster
    Pignose Legendary 7-100

Manga I'm reading!!!
    Bleach, OP, Naruto, GE, Rosario+Vampire, Soul Eater, Kyou Kara Ore Wa, Kimi No Iru Machi, HSD Kenichi, and many more!!!
    The wood quality is what I was going to point out, but even that varies guitar to guitar. With lower-end Gibsons always try before you buy. A gem in the rough can be found, but buying online risks too much.

The pickups will also be different, but "better" or "worse" are words that are hard to use when it comes to tone. Try a few from each out when you go home.
    Quote by Wisthekiller
    tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
    At least in England anyway it goes like this:

SG Standard with a HSC £999
    SG Special with a gigbag £899

It makes no sense to get the Special here unless you really like it.

As for SGs I've been through a fair few as I was thinking of getting one. The standard is a beautiful guitar. Plays really nicely, looks great, seemed solidly enough built, and the wood looks really good.

The SG Special was also a good guitar, nowhere near as nice to look at, but they play well. They definitely feel cheaper though. To me the pickups didn't sound as ballsy as on the standard either. With the negligible price difference here (and the case issue) it's a no-brainer really.
    Yeah, here the Standard is $1200 (approx 880 for you) and the special is $800 (Approx. 587) So it's a bit bigger of a difference. BUT if the feel is cheaper then I don't particularly want it, because if I wanted a cheap feel I'd spend $350 on an Epiphone.

And I looked up the pickups, and the standard has a slightly hotter pickup in the bridge, which would definitely give it a crunchy or ballsier sound to it.

So, I'll save up and forgo nutritious meals for a while and buy me a standard next month!!!
    I'll post pictures for those that care.
    Main Gear:
    Epi Les Paul Ultra II
    Bastard Telecaster
    Pignose Legendary 7-100

Manga I'm reading!!!
    You're right on the pickups. I felt it would be a waste of time to buy a guitar for that kind of price and immediately think that I wanted to change the pickups.

I think when you spend a lot of money on a guitar, or hell, even a small amount of money on a guitar it should feel 'right'. The SG Special when sat in my hands didn't feel as right as the Standard as an overall package. I know that's quite personal but I could imagine it would be the same for other people (given that some things are objective).
    I agree with that. I'm going to try to find a place that has both of them somewhere, or I may possibly wait until I'm up at my parents' house for Christmas to go to Guitar Center and try them out.
    Main Gear:
    Epi Les Paul Ultra II
    Bastard Telecaster
    Pignose Legendary 7-100

Manga I'm reading!!!
    There's a place a lot closer to where I am currently that sells Gibsons, but they don't have the greatest selection, and the only reason I ever went to that town was to visit my now ex-girlfriend
    But I'm sure I can find a place closer around here if I looked hard enough (college towns usually have a lot of good pawn shops/instrument shops around, right?).
    I'm definitely wanting to try them out, just in case I happen to like the cheaper one better. After all, I do like my cheap ass Silvertone Strat better than my friend's American Deluxe, lol
    Main Gear:
    Epi Les Paul Ultra II
    Bastard Telecaster
    Pignose Legendary 7-100

Manga I'm reading!!!