So, back when I was a wanna-be Japanese fag, I wrote the kanji symbol for music on my acoustic guitar. Now I realize it looks stupid as hell. So, I need to know how to clean it off. I read that a 'Mr. Clean Magic Eraser' will work, but I also read that it will scratch the finish. I need to get rid of it by Monday.
Gear:
Epiphone Archtop Dot
Ibanez RG120
Peavey ValveKing 112
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss Distortion Ds-1
MXR Carbon Copy
Rocktron Banshee Talk box
I bet if you showed us a picture of what you are talking about, after you got berated with negative comments, someone would eventually have some good advice for you.
I think that most likely you are going to scratch up your finish, or melt it in some way. I would suggest some sort of solvent but I know those will probably just do more damage to the finish anyways. THERE IS a trick that could help though. Try writing over it in erasable marker and see if it will clean off.
Quote by Windwaker
THERE IS a trick that could help though. Try writing over it in erasable marker and see if it will clean off.

ive heard of this before.. google it to be sure lol. GL and Good job on realizing kanji for non japanese people is foolish
Sharpies are permanant because they migrate in to the finish they are put on, so anything you use to remove the sharpie will also remove part of the finish.
You can remove most of it ( what is on the surface of the finish) with a non abrasive cleaner but you will never clean it off without seing it faded or removing part of the finish.

Good Luck
u could always just sand it with some high grit sandpaper and repolish and whatnot
just put some duct tape over it and say you dropped your guitar and it cracked
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Peavey: Vypyr 15W
ESP: H-1001
Guitar Rig 5 with Kontrol
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro
Daredevil 77 IC Op-Amp Fuzz
Any chemist will say acetone.

A guitarist... well I'd still say acetone. Just don't go overboard.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
hydrogen peroxide. If that doesnt work try rubbing alcohol
I do sure love me them Gibsons boy
Start with the non-abrasive cleaners first, before trying stuff that could damage your finish. Try lemon oil for a start I guess, can't hurt to try.
None of the above suggestions will work as good as brake parts cleaner. Seriously, it's the stuff you get from Napa to clean the brake dust from brake rotors and drums. It evaporates nearly instantly, but it's excellent for removing permanent marker from just about everything. We use it where I work all the time, albeit on stainless steel. Still, it works. I'd spray some on a rag then use that on the offensive marked on area of your guitar.
^ Do you think that would harm the finish or the wood? We don't want him to damage his guitar doing this! Good suggestion though!
Google seems unamimous using toothpaste (the white gritty kind, not gel), and damp rags. I know marker fades pretty readily in the sunlight, not sure how that helps though. Or just tell ppl you bought it that way, and got it real cheap!
Quote by Rokeman
^ Do you think that would harm the finish or the wood? We don't want him to damage his guitar doing this! Good suggestion though!

The way I see it, the wood finish is already harmed by the permanent marker, so what's he got to lose at this point? Besides, most low end guitar finishes are quite durable. Just a small amount on a rag to control where it's applied should do the trick. The marker may leave behind a discolored area though, so he may still see his original design, it would just be clear now rather than black.
First try Rubbing Alcohol and elbow grease. Its safe and removes permanent marker from most surfaces. Afterward, if its below the surface, the try Magic Eraser. If it dulls the finish, get MacGuires X Polish (or similar) and buff it back out.

Its very doable.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77