First off, I have searched and searched the site and the internet and cannot find a straight up answer that I understand.

I basically want to know the difference.

I was looking at the Hellraiser C-1 fr some more, and I said to myself I would upgrade to DUAL (neck+bridge) EMG 81's.

HOWEVER. After reading through some threads I realised they actually get a lot of stick and apparently sound too thin and weak. After further research i realise alot of my favourite bands actually use Passives.

My favourite guitarist is Synyster Gates (Cliché, i know..) and he uses Passive SH-8 Invaders.

So what do you think i should do?

I play Metallica, A7X, Dream Theater, BFMV and others. I play more pick focused than legato and i sweep pick, therefore I would be looking for clarity in each note under high gain, and I nice thick fat bottom end.

Cheers guys!

Amp is in sig.
Gear:

Ibanez RG350M
Peavey 6505+112

Boss CS-1
EHX Big Muff Pi
EHX Small Clone
KORG Pitchblack
Check out the John Petrucci signature Dimarzios. They would really be up your alley. Very intense metal tone, but absolutely godly for cleans. They have a nice beefiness and warmth that you hear a lot in jazz humbuckers. The neck pickup has a really pronounced midrange that just sings so hard.
Quote by Windwaker
Check out the John Petrucci signature Dimarzios. They would really be up your alley. Very intense metal tone, but absolutely godly for cleans. They have a nice beefiness and warmth that you hear a lot in jazz humbuckers. The neck pickup has a really pronounced midrange that just sings so hard.

Oh, i also forgot i like to play a bit of The Police sometimes, would they suit my specs??
Gear:

Ibanez RG350M
Peavey 6505+112

Boss CS-1
EHX Big Muff Pi
EHX Small Clone
KORG Pitchblack
Quote by salgala2000
EMG>Invaders
Passives>Actives

Wait, so..

Emg (Active) > Invaders (Passive)

yet Passive > Actives?

Gear:

Ibanez RG350M
Peavey 6505+112

Boss CS-1
EHX Big Muff Pi
EHX Small Clone
KORG Pitchblack
Two of those bands you listed use EMG's

You don't want Invaders for sure. Much better pickups out there for you. I'd suggest the same as what Windmaker said, look at John Petrucci's Dimarzios

Quote by Dannnn_xD
Wait, so..

Emg (Active) > Invaders (Passive)

yet Passive > Actives?

EMG's are better than Invaders because the Invader is a shitty pickup. Most good passives destroy EMG's though.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Last edited by sammo_boi at Sep 30, 2010,
I would prefer invaders to EMgs as well
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Currently I'm using DiMarzio D-Activators, passive pickups that have a sound similar to actives. Amazing tone for metal if you set them close enough to the strings, and they sound great on clean too.
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!
Quote by Dannnn_xD
Oh, i also forgot i like to play a bit of The Police sometimes, would they suit my specs??

Absolutely. I lol at other guitarists a lot because my guitar can convincingly double in just about every genre due to the great resonance (its an ernie ball music man) and pickup combo. I generally play Jazz/Funk fusion, Prog metal, and chord melody solo stuff. It will sound awesome if you coil split them as well for the middle position for police-y type stuff.
Get rid of EMG's and pop some seymour duncan blackouts in there... I love them and will never use anything else.
"For we are nothing without brotherhood and brotherhood is nothing without our brothers" -We Came As Romans
Okay, so the verdict so far is 75% DiMarzio an 25% Bare Knuckle.

Which one is the Petrucci sig? D Sonic DP207?

Also silly question i know, but these are obviously better than by INF's by Ibanez right? :P
Gear:

Ibanez RG350M
Peavey 6505+112

Boss CS-1
EHX Big Muff Pi
EHX Small Clone
KORG Pitchblack
Quote by Dannnn_xD

Which one is the Petrucci sig? D Sonic DP207?

Also silly question i know, but these are obviously better than by INF's by Ibanez right? :P

Petrucci's sig pickups are the Crunchlab and Liquifire. Supposed to be brilliant. And trust me, anything is better than the INF stock pickups. Actually, they're not the worst, but they're way too muddy
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

"There are times in your life when you have to ask yourself the question "What would Charlie Sheen do?""

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Yeah, i would agree on the muddy.

Okay.

Which would you recommend for the bridge?

Also what are your views on mix n matching?

Eg i've been looking at Sustainers (seen syn use them live a couple of times) and they look awsome. Would it be a good idea to put in the neck? or are they complete shite?
Gear:

Ibanez RG350M
Peavey 6505+112

Boss CS-1
EHX Big Muff Pi
EHX Small Clone
KORG Pitchblack
Quote by Dannnn_xD
Yeah, i would agree on the muddy.

Okay.

Which would you recommend for the bridge?

Also what are your views on mix n matching?

Eg i've been looking at Sustainers (seen syn use them live a couple of times) and they look awsome. Would it be a good idea to put in the neck? or are they complete shite?

Definitely a Crunchlab in the bridge. I'm sure you could probably try a different pickup in the neck other than the Liquifire if you didn't want to go with both, but those 2 go hand in hand.

But the sustainers. TBH i dont really know that much about them, but from the little i do know about them i don't really see the point in them. Kinda a waste of the neck pickup imo
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

"There are times in your life when you have to ask yourself the question "What would Charlie Sheen do?""

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by DegaDeth
Definitely a Crunchlab in the bridge. I'm sure you could probably try a different pickup in the neck other than the Liquifire if you didn't want to go with both, but those 2 go hand in hand.

But the sustainers. TBH i dont really know that much about them, but from the little i do know about them i don't really see the point in them. Kinda a waste of the neck pickup imo

Well for the neck i dont really like the look of the Liquifire, i hardly ever use it (Neck pickup)...
Gear:

Ibanez RG350M
Peavey 6505+112

Boss CS-1
EHX Big Muff Pi
EHX Small Clone
KORG Pitchblack
Given all the cool additions to their product line of late, I would have a hard time convincing myself to put anything other than EMGs in a new guitar. They're low noise, high output, and have something for pretty much any tonal application:

Hot & Bright: 81X (with coil tapping, 81TWX)
Hot & Warm: 85X (with coil tapping, 89X)
Vintage & Bright: 60X
Vintage & Warm: 60AX
Strat: SAX
Tele: T (ideally run at 18v)

The "X" models can of course be replaced by the non-X equivilent at 18v if you want.

That said, a pair of straight 81s run at 9v would be about my least favorite EMG setup. The 81s have that nasty clip to the attack that works for chugging, but which sucks for just about anything else. Going 18v or to the X series corrects that. And an 81 in the neck is just silly - the whole reason to switch to the neck pickup is for warmer, less aggressive tones.

So if you want a broad range of tones, with single coil sounds, out of a 2-HB routed guitar, I would go 81TWX in the bridge, 89X in the neck, wire for 9v, and have a switch installed to change between humbucking and single coil mode.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by Even Bigger D

So if you want a broad range of tones, with single coil sounds, out of a 2-HB routed guitar, I would go 81TWX in the bridge, 89X in the neck, wire for 9v, and have a switch installed to change between humbucking and single coil mode.

The hellraiser has coil tap, would that work yes?

So hats the difference between The normal, x and twx series?
Gear:

Ibanez RG350M
Peavey 6505+112

Boss CS-1
EHX Big Muff Pi
EHX Small Clone
KORG Pitchblack
Last edited by Dannnn_xD at Sep 30, 2010,
Quote by Dannnn_xD
The hellraiser has coil tap, would that work yes?

So hats the difference between The normal, x and twx series?

I'm not quite sure which hellraiser you're thinking of starting from.

If the coil tap is on a push/pull pot, and the guitar is wired for passives, you would have to find an equivalent push/pull pot with the right resistance for EMGs. They're not the same pots as passives. I think you could get that pot from EMG but I'm not 100% sure. If you're looking at the Hellraiser that has the 81TW/89 combo already then you've got the right pot, and all I would suggest changing is going to an 81TWX/89X combo, or re-wiring for 18v.

The difference between 'regular' and 'X' EMGs is in the on-board preamp. The old premap used to clip (aka, distort) slightly right when you attacked a note hard. But that was only if it was wired at 9v. If you wired the EMGs at 18v, then the preamp didn't clip any more. EMG recommended doing that, but most guitar makes just wired for 9v. I find the clipping made them sound somewhat indistinct and bland, but it was part of the 81 chug sound that put EMG on the map so some people liked it apparently. The new 'X' preamp is designed so that it doesn't clip when wired at 9v, so the whole issue goes away.

The 81TWX is just the X version of the 81TW which is an 81 in combo with a single coil. It's the partner to the 89.

Hope that helps.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Last edited by Even Bigger D at Sep 30, 2010,
Quote by Windwaker

this.

and nothing else.
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Quote by Dannnn_xD

That's really only because the DiMarzios are cheaper, thus, less people on this board have tried them.

If they were the same price, the BKP suggestions would be overwhelming against DiMarzios.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Sep 30, 2010,
I tend to play the same stle of music you listed, and a guitar i have found that works well, is my Ibanez RGA32,, it has active pickups, but there not top of the line or anything, they have alot of nice bite to them, cleans arent to good unless u drop the volume, just my suggestion, i know you wasnt looking for a whole guitar, but, i dont see very many RGA's and i'v always wondered why, cause there amazing guitars.
Axe's of Choice:

Brand new Ibanez RGA32(Flat Metallic Silver)
2007 Epiphone Les Paul Custom(Alpine White)
1998 Fender Strat, with Texas Overwound PuPs MiM(Black, white pickguard, Maple fretboard)
I would be very great full if some who owned a guitar with passive and a guitar with active could record a clip with the same settings so i could compare them in general
Gear:

Ibanez RG350M
Peavey 6505+112

Boss CS-1
EHX Big Muff Pi
EHX Small Clone
KORG Pitchblack