Hey guys, the bassist in my band is in desperate need of a whole new rig. He's currently using a Squire bass with 3 strings, and a Roland Cube 60X. We play a lot of thrash metal, and his budget is probably no more than $500 total. I've talked with him, and he said he doesn't want a 5 string, either.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
Look to Acoustic (if you're in the US) for amps, the B200 sounds like it would do nicely for your bassist. Transparent, sturdy, cheap, and plenty of power to cut through. I'd say upgrade the amp, and keep the bass for now until he can save up for a more serious bass upgrade.

And for the love of god, make sure he gets a new set of strings
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
oh, it's not the strings that're the problem. Second practice we had, one of the tuning pegs shattered

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
Well in that case get a new tuning peg. You could get a good enough amp for around $350 (especially if you go used), so there's plenty of room in the budget for a new tuning peg.

EDIT: or switch out all of them. Nothing wrong with upgrading a Squier. New tuning pegs, a new bridge, new pups, all good options.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Oct 1, 2010,
Yeah, he's planning on it, but this is extremely long term. He's kind of between jobs at the moment. He just wanted some insight and didn't know who exactly to ask.

Quote by wolvenrick