hey guys i was wondering if you could help me out, i was browsing through some posters and i came across this

the finish on that tele is beautiful, i love how its a deep red but you can still see the grain of the wood, anyone know where i can find something like that? mim would be preferable, but i'd be willing to go mia if its not terribly expensive...anyone know what this finish is called?
I teach private lessons in voice, hit me up if interested!
Last edited by Tyson2011 at Sep 30, 2010,
It's probably just a publicity thing for Fender, and that's the only tele with that finish. I know they have a red that's sort of that color on the MIM teles, but I've never seen one with that beautiful of grain showing through.
Main Gear:
Epi Les Paul Ultra II
Bastard Telecaster
Pignose Legendary 7-100

Manga I'm reading!!!
Bleach, OP, Naruto, GE, Rosario+Vampire, Soul Eater, Kyou Kara Ore Wa, Kimi No Iru Machi, HSD Kenichi, and many more!!!
that thinline is really pretty aswell

i know the mim midnight wine is similar to this, but without the grain...if one like this doesnt exist im gunna be pretty sad, its beautiful looking
I'm thinking that's a special finish technique. They could've used some darker stain at first, then wiped it off. The stain would've soaked into those really grainy areas, darkening them. Then, they could've applied the red/clear. Just a possibility.
I agree with Steven there.
It's probably a super dark stain and a clear coat finish.

Or like someone said earlier, CG.
And I agree, the grain on the strat looks fake sort of.
Main Gear:
Epi Les Paul Ultra II
Bastard Telecaster
Pignose Legendary 7-100

Manga I'm reading!!!
Bleach, OP, Naruto, GE, Rosario+Vampire, Soul Eater, Kyou Kara Ore Wa, Kimi No Iru Machi, HSD Kenichi, and many more!!!
guess some things are just too good to be true?
Well, if you have the money and the will, you could always build one at Warmoth or another place. That way you can choose your color and everything.
Only downside is that you'll have to put the time into building the thing. But on the plus side you get exactly what you want, and in some cases have a one of a kind guitar.
Main Gear:
Epi Les Paul Ultra II
Bastard Telecaster
Pignose Legendary 7-100

Manga I'm reading!!!
im not too interested in building one, i live on a small farm in north dakota, basicly theres nothing here, with the cost of supplies+equipment used to build it, and the time i put in, i'd almost be better off having something custom made in my opinion, but to each their own...thanks for the idea

i suppose i could prolly settle for a mim midnight wine
The midnight wine IS a gorgeous color. Depending on the guitar, you can still sometimes see a bit of the grain poking through the finish, but its usually just not as pronounced as on that poster.
Main Gear:
Epi Les Paul Ultra II
Bastard Telecaster
Pignose Legendary 7-100

Manga I'm reading!!!
Hey I have that poster. I've been gasing for a tele in that blue for a while now
That Strat just kinda gave me a pseudo-boner....

Why can't Fender realize that trans-stain finishes kick ass?
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
Because they try to keep their guitars affordable, lol
It's more expensive to stain a guitar and then put a finish on it than to just put the finish on, and unlike Gibson, Fender charges somewhat reasonable prices.
Main Gear:
Epi Les Paul Ultra II
Bastard Telecaster
Pignose Legendary 7-100

Manga I'm reading!!!
Quote by Fantum1337
Because they try to keep their guitars affordable, lol
It's more expensive to stain a guitar and then put a finish on it than to just put the finish on, and unlike Gibson, Fender charges somewhat reasonable prices.

As far as I'm concerned, trans-stain finishes are a clear base with a pigment added to it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the two are mixed and are applied as one.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
But if you want the grain to really pop like it does in the poster I've heard that the best thing to do is to stain it. But I'm definitely not a professional, I've just got a family friend who makes custom guitars and he always charges more for stains as opposed to regular finishes.

Edit: And now I see I completely misunderstood what you were saying, sorry about that, lol
Main Gear:
Epi Les Paul Ultra II
Bastard Telecaster
Pignose Legendary 7-100

Manga I'm reading!!!
Here I just looked through 10 or so pages on ebay and this is the closest I could find. Not quite as pronounced but there's a couple mia nitro finished tele bodies like this on there.
linkie-poo
that ash one is really nice, and would look so much better if i were to put a white pickguard on it ....definitely considering that, but i'd like to play one in person first as i havent got a chance, do they sound as good as the other teles?
the james burton sig tele looks very similar, but it's a two tone job not a see through finish. also texas special pups, one piece neck, bla bla bla.

those both look like ash bodies to me in the pic in post one.
maybe part of an ashcaster series of some sort, haven't run into one myself.
searching james burton on musiciansfriend led me to a candy apple strat and one covered in flames, is there another one you're speaking of?
There's a Highway 1 finish like that, though idk how much grain shows or how glossy it is...

Also, I have a midnight wine jazz bass and it is GORGEOUS!
I pride myself on my humility.
so i think i found what im looking for. a highway 1 tele in midnight wine, but with a maple fretboard instead of rosewood...i foudn one in bestbuy but didnt have the money, and when i came back it was gone....ugh ...turns out this is a discontinued finish in the highway 1 line....does anyone happen to know where i could find one online?? i've been looking for hours to no avail.
Quote by Tyson2011
so i think i found what im looking for. a highway 1 tele in midnight wine, but with a maple fretboard instead of rosewood...i foudn one in bestbuy but didnt have the money, and when i came back it was gone....ugh ...turns out this is a discontinued finish in the highway 1 line....does anyone happen to know where i could find one online?? i've been looking for hours to no avail.

call a sam ash store. not the online site, one of the actual stores. any sales person in the guitar dept can search that SKU for the red wine hwy one and find out if there are any in any of their 50 some odd stores. there may not be, but that's one way to check 50 stores with one call. good luck.

try the same thing with GC, see if they can search that way, they probably can. also check their used section online.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
call a sam ash store. not the online site, one of the actual stores. any sales person in the guitar dept can search that SKU for the red wine hwy one and find out if there are any in any of their 50 some odd stores. there may not be, but that's one way to check 50 stores with one call. good luck.

try the same thing with GC, see if they can search that way, they probably can. also check their used section online.

i live in north dakota, we dont have a sam ash or a gc here as far as i know of....would best buy be able to do the same thing?
Yes bestbuy would be able to do the same thing, the problem is not all bestbuy's have the music store in them.

Unfortunately used to work there.
Ibanez Artcore Af75
Boss DD-3
Boss DS-1 Modded
Boss RV-5
Epiphone Valve Jr.

Dr. Z Fund $200/$2000
Quote by Tyson2011
i live in north dakota, we dont have a sam ash or a gc here as far as i know of....would best buy be able to do the same thing?

it doesn't matter as long as you are IN the US.

if you call an actual store, they can search nationwide.

call 847-253-3151 and press 2 for guitars. those guys can search nationally by the SKU number of any fender product. they can look up the SKU based on model and finish.

then if they find one, you pay for it over the phone and it arrives a few days later.
tell them to make sure their tech does a good set up on it and say you are very picky. just so they do it.

never have to put pants on, c'mon how easy is that?

then order a pizza. same deal.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Nov 18, 2010,
Quote by gregs1020
it doesn't matter as long as you are IN the US.

if you call an actual store, they can search nationwide.

call 847-253-3151 and press 2 for guitars. those guys can search nationally by the SKU number of any fender product. they can look up the SKU based on model and finish.

then if they find one, you pay for it over the phone and it arrives a few days later.
tell them to make sure their tech does a good set up on it and say you are very picky. just so they do it.

never have to put pants on, c'mon how easy is that?

then order a pizza. same deal.

so they'll ship it and everything? thats snazzy
Look at the material of the headstock. That kind of wood/finish you can only get on Fender Custom Shop material. It's probably a super customized model.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
It isn't CG, but they have definately changed the colour saturation on the black and white. I think you'd find the actual guitars don't look like that in person so to speak. Shame, cos that would be one beautiful looking finish. Can't be too difficult to replicate though.
The finish color is "Transparent Crimson", and is still offered through Fender USA and The Custom Shop. The one on the poster has a very beautiful grain pattern though.

here is it one a American Standard (it's Javascript/Flash so I cant link to the actual picture).
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Standard-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=515750

(the thumbnail doesn't do it justice).
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
that is gorgeous, but 1150 is sadly out of my price range ...i have fallen in love with the highway 1 though, everything about it just feels perfect, so i think im going with that ...i guess this thread doesnt have much point anymore lol
got a highway 1, turns out bestbuy had a second one in stock that was in the back room, but good thing i found it as someone else was checking it out because it was in the demo room....if you want i posted up a ngd showing off its excellence..you cant see the grain very well tho because my camera sucks :/...but it is dead sexy, my ears came a little