I have been playing a lot of zeppelin, slash, and eddie van halen stuff. My strat just does not give me that thick les paul tone, so time for a switch. I really like les pauls, and have heard nothing but good things about Agile's. But which one do i get? I could easily get about 300 for my strat off craigslist, if not more. Meaning my budget will be around, a little more if neccesary.

Also, would you reccomend any other brands for my price range?

Thanks
Gear
Fender MIM hss strat 1997
Marshall Class 5
Line 6 Floor Pod Plus
OCD drive

I love classic rock.
Last edited by fender--player1 at Sep 30, 2010,
I wouldn't sell your strat personally, who knows when you're going to want to come back to it? You say lately like this is a rather recent thing.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
any ibanez art-100 fans on UG?
annnnyyyoneee?

btw, it sounds a TON like a LP, just 200 dollars less then the epiphone les paul standard.
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
haha you are right, i will take out that "lately" part. i defintiely wanna sell it, i cant stand the twangyness anymore. also, i cant get rid of the buzz, and even if i could i would still sell it.
Gear
Marshall Class 5
Line 6 Floor Pod Plus
OCD drive

I love classic rock.
Agiles, LTDs and ESPs are "Les Paul" like or styled similar to LPs but are not LPs. The Agiles get good reviews here yes but on the MLP Forum they are rated as lower than or only equal to Epis (Many complain of minor flaws but don't want the hassle of shipping back as they still play good - better the evil you know I guess). If all you want is a LP looking guitar with HBs no problem.
Moving on.....
The Epiphone Limited Edition Studio Deluxe gets good reviews and it's only $350 new on Musicians Friend. And I've never seen an Epiphone Les Paul with any problems, but I've never played that particular model, so I don't know for sure.
Although you can definitely get a nicer looking guitar for about the same price if you go with an Agile. But I've personally never played them, so I can give no reviews on them.
Main Gear:
Epi Les Paul Ultra II
Bastard Telecaster
Pignose Legendary 7-100

Manga I'm reading!!!
Bleach, OP, Naruto, GE, Rosario+Vampire, Soul Eater, Kyou Kara Ore Wa, Kimi No Iru Machi, HSD Kenichi, and many more!!!
ok lets say all you have is 300 to play with. if you go epiphone you can get.

Epiphone Ltd Ed LP-100 Deluxe
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-LimitedEdition-Les-Paul-100-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar?sku=581877

Epiphone LP-100
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-100-Electric-Guitar?sku=518661

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=518351V

all except the LP studio have bolt on necks.

now for the agiles, since theres no search on rondo, ill list page numbers.

Agile Dauntless EMG Amber Birds Eye Maple pg10
http://www.rondomusic.com/product2575.html

Agile Dauntless SBD CSB Bird pg11
http://www.rondomusic.com/dauntlesssbdcsbbird.html

Agile Dauntless SBD Nat Bird pg11
http://www.rondomusic.com/dauntlesssbdnatbird.html

there are tons more on the rondo site. all around your price range, and better pricing then an epi.
Hmmm... when I get my paycheck tomorrow I may just get that third Agile... that is one sexy guitar right there.
Main Gear:
Epi Les Paul Ultra II
Bastard Telecaster
Pignose Legendary 7-100

Manga I'm reading!!!
Bleach, OP, Naruto, GE, Rosario+Vampire, Soul Eater, Kyou Kara Ore Wa, Kimi No Iru Machi, HSD Kenichi, and many more!!!
My Epi Ultra II is a color sort of like that though, and I'm not too partially to the whole orange/black thing. Too Halloween-ish, lol
idk, I'm a sucker for natural colored guitars like that, lol
Main Gear:
Epi Les Paul Ultra II
Bastard Telecaster
Pignose Legendary 7-100

Manga I'm reading!!!
Quote by Fantum1337
The Epiphone Limited Edition Studio Deluxe gets good reviews and it's only $350 new on Musicians Friend. And I've never seen an Epiphone Les Paul with any problems, but I've never played that particular model, so I don't know for sure.
Although you can definitely get a nicer looking guitar for about the same price if you go with an Agile. But I've personally never played them, so I can give no reviews on them.

The LP studio deluxe is not a flashy guitar, but it is all function.
I put a duncan distortion set in mine and it actually starts to break up
around 3. It sounds great and actually has that trademark lp tone.
It also has nice sustain. The stock pups supposedly have a few extra
turns of wire, but didnt noticeably distance themselves from a Standard
in tone. I got mine for the intro deal of $299 +epi hard case.

Make sure you ask if the hard shell case offer is still good. Cant hurt to try.

I was afraid of Agile and company but after many reviews from this site,
and playing an agile in a shop on vacation I was impressed and ordered
a few from the Douglas line. They had all been made very well and with new pups they blaze. The stock HZ's really suck if you are used to after market pickups.

I put a BK miracle man+nailbomb in my red sr-1 on profile. It's a stunner...
$129 mahogany, bound set maple neck. I had really low expectations
and just put them in instead of just letting them lie around. It's become
one of my favorites.

One of the reasons you save so much is because you buy straight from the
manufacturer and cut out the middle men in retail stores and also marketing.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Agiles are cheap because they ship from a warehouse, not through four middlemen stationed in some third world country. They're korean made if I'm not mistaken, and they don't advertise so they don't have to pay anyone much of anything. Straightforward guitars.

I would advise against the Epiphones, known many friends who've owned them and I've played every single one of them. All I can say is mud. If you love cheap breakup and that sound of fake 1980's overdrive, have fun. If you want a guitar with dynamics, I'd shoot for the agile and throw some aftermarket pickups in. The EMG's are probably going to be too dark and hot for EVH and Zeppelin, but the spalted natural dauntless Agile you said you liked features seymour duncans. MUCH better suited to the sound you're chasing after.

I've compared my 3100 to an 04 Epiphone LP Traditonal Pro. Measures up the same, although the Agile's a little heavier. Mine got a couple seconds of extra sustain, but other than that they were almost identical aside from the finish on the Agile being so much nicer.

I can understand why Epiphone players normally don't trust Agile guitars. Why else would you buy an Epiphone? It's made by Gibson. Why would you ever pay that much for a Gibson? Because the name is associated with decades of quality. Do your research on Gibsons' quality control after they went under management. Their new CEO ruined Gibson, and Epiphone has suffered too from it. Quality control with Gibson / Epiphone has hit an all time low, and all Gibson is doing to fix it is turning the focus to their new line of Digital guitars.

Agile, they've had complaints about quality control. Their answer is contact Rondo Music, their only licensed dealer, if you have any complaints within 30 days of recieving contact Rondo and they will replace your guitar at no charge, complimentary shipping. That's how business should be.

I don't trust Gibson / Epiphone, and I'm not trying to turn the focus of this thread into a Gibby bashing bandwagoning thread. All I'm saying is I'm very happy with my Agile, only guitar I have left lol, and I would seriously consider what Agile's got to offer instead of paying for a cheaper guitar with a richer history.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Whoever is telling you that AL-3000/3100 is like an Epiphone is an idiot. They blow Epiphone out of the water and then some. If you put some boutique pups in them, they start to shine even more. I put some Lollar P90 in my AL-3000. I play it 10x more then my Gibson Studio.
Well, my epi was a graduation gift, so I didn't really choose it... but I like the acoustic pickup in the Ultra II. It actually sounds really good.
Granted, I'd never even heard of Agile guitars until this week, and seeing as how I got my LP almost 6 months ago I didn't really know that I could have gotten such nice guitars for a low price.
But I really don't have any problems with my LP at all. It's a beautiful guitar, the pickups aren't bad at all, and the acoustic pickup it has sounds pretty damn spot on to me. I actually think it sounds better than my friend's Martin plugged in, but that's just me.
Main Gear:
Epi Les Paul Ultra II
Bastard Telecaster
Pignose Legendary 7-100

Manga I'm reading!!!
There are several AL-2500 models (a step up from the Dauntless) available for $300 or less. There is also an AL-2800 in black if you're able to get $325 for your Strat. I'd go for one of those.
hmm, the dauntless looks pretty good, but will it really give me the sound i'm looking for? im looking for sustain, and thick bassy tone. i play much more GNR than van halen, so if the sound is not like eddie's, thats ok. would this also work for ozzy stuff? with and without zakk wylde, will it work tone wise?

MOST IMPORTANTLY OF ALL, can I return it if i don't like it?
Gear
Marshall Class 5
Line 6 Floor Pod Plus
OCD drive

I love classic rock.
Last edited by fender--player1 at Oct 15, 2010,
I think you'll be happy with an Agile, everybody I've seen who has gambled on one has been happy with it. Great construction, decent hardware, cheap, and a good platform for upgrades.

Also, for future reference, EVH favored Strats over LPs...
I did know that, but I prefer les pauls. Unfortunately, i am not EVH, i can't stand my strat.

Well, unless anyone has something important to tell me about my choices, I guess its an agile dauntless with Seymours?
Gear
Marshall Class 5
Line 6 Floor Pod Plus
OCD drive

I love classic rock.
dude agile is way way gooder... hahaha just bought one they rock and beat any epi at the same price
Save up for at least an AL-3000 (maybe $350-400) and you won't regret it. I've heard the Dauntless and AL-2000s are only marginally better than similarly priced Epis, but a nice AL-3000 could rival a top-end Epi or a Gibson Studio.
Quote by Helicopters!
Save up for at least an AL-3000 (maybe $350-400) and you won't regret it. I've heard the Dauntless and AL-2000s are only marginally better than similarly priced Epis, but a nice AL-3000 could rival a top-end Epi or a Gibson Studio.

+1000

And I'm going to get flamed for this, but an AL-3000 with some mods can EASILY rival a Gibson Les Paul Standard. Without the disgusting quality control issues that Gibson seems to think is acceptable. If only Gibson was what it used to be?
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Quote by Ayses
+1000

And I'm going to get flamed for this, but an AL-3000 with some mods can EASILY rival a Gibson Les Paul Standard. Without the disgusting quality control issues that Gibson seems to think is acceptable. If only Gibson was what it used to be?

They don't have the same tonal property but they are as good. That's what people need to understand. If I remember correctly my Gibson had a more of a nasal sound. I think Korean guitar quality has improved greatly in the past 10 years.

I modded my Agile the day I got it. I change the bridge, caps and pickups. Now it just scream the way I want. I don't feel guilty about changing parts because I want to keep it original. Plus, I can own 3 or 4 for the price of 1. I am not paranoid that someone will steal it. Although, every time I played my guitar in front of other musician, I was ask if it was for sell.
hmm, I get the part about saving up just a little more for the AL-3000. but I saw that it had type V alnico's. I read some reviews and heard they were not very good. I'm really into the Duncan Hb's that the dauntless has, because they are a medium output and thats more of the sound i'm looking for. i also have no experience in changing pickups if i did end up getting the AL-3000 and then change for lower output pickups. that would also mean more money, and my nearest guitar tech is 2 hours away and is very hard to reach in winter because of heavy snowfalls. so wouldn't the dauntless be a better choice? maybe a different type of agile les paul?
Gear
Marshall Class 5
Line 6 Floor Pod Plus
OCD drive

I love classic rock.
There is a huge difference in quality between the 2xxx and the 3xxxx series.
Has anyone tried the PRS Tremonti SE's? I can see these for around £369, which is reasonable. I'm curious though as to whether anyone has any view on them?