so yeah, im making my second electric guitar (the first one was crap i didnt know much about making a guitar but i managed myself to do it anyway) and i want this one to be a decent guitar. I was thinking of using mahogany to make the body but its kind of expensive for me where i live; so i wanted to know if cedar is a good choice to go with, or at least good enough to use it on a guitar, im already aware of the fact that cedar is pretty heavy in weight but i dont worry about that, im more concerned about the tonal qualities and how cedar compares to other more popular woods.

I don't know about how it'll work with electrics, but my classical has a cedar soundboard with maple on the back and it sounds bright,but not overly bright. It's also a pretty hard wood
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
My biggest issue with ceder is you can literally dent it with a flick. It's also not very stiff so I'd worry about a bolt on neck tearing out of the back of the guitar.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I don't think cedars heavy at all. I think it's rather light.
But, the strength of it is questionable.
You can use it I'd assume, but just be prepared to do a lot of Clear coats.

Quote by Artemis Entreri
My biggest issue with ceder is you can literally dent it with a flick. It's also not very stiff so I'd worry about a bolt on neck tearing out of the back of the guitar.

I also thought of this too.
Maybe, if you were to make the center a Hardwood, then do Cedar wings?

You can make pine guitars, and in my opinion Pine and Cedar are pretty similar strengthwise.
..I was watching my death.
Do not use that wood
I do not reccomend in the least bit trying to use a board like you described.
All wood that is used in guitars(Providing they are built right) has been dried, be it air dried or kiln dried.
I do not believe the fence board would have been dried. Especially since you said "Waterlogged"
Quote by billm90
Please dont worry.

I am a PRO. lol

So you're just going to continue on, doing something which is potentially bad?
The labour needed to build a guitar is a lot.
I would hate to see someone work very hard just to have their body warp.
I'm not giving advice for myself, I do it for others. Whether you choose to take it is your decision.