I've been using a couple of VST amp sims (thanks for the suggestions in the thread I made yesterday), however I'm encountering a problem of excessive line "buzz" when using even slight gain. The sound isn't horrid and I can control it to a degree with noise gate VSTs, however I was wondering if there are any specific techniques I should know when dealing with interfaces in general, and when using them with VSTs to avoid gain noise.

I'm using a Lexicon Alpha with CubaseLE, direct in with both a guitar and a bass, and the interface's output is set so each line "peaks" when a note is hit especially hard, but not enough to cause clipping.

Any help would be appreciated. If this is covered in another thread, please link me to it and I'll be happy to delete this one.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
get a noise gate vst.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
Quote by Clay-man
get a noise gate vst.

I've done that, but is that the only option? No other way to get rid of gain hum?
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
^ unfortunately no, the hilarious thing about it is that the line noise is often emulated in the vst software so the programmers could have removed it or given the option to turn it off, but felt it gave more of a realistic feel to the sound....

personally it drives me nuts too.
Quote by z4twenny
^ unfortunately no, the hilarious thing about it is that the line noise is often emulated in the vst software so the programmers could have removed it or given the option to turn it off, but felt it gave more of a realistic feel to the sound....

personally it drives me nuts too.

I see. Thanks for the info. Is it possible then that there are amp sims out there that the programmers have decided not to include the hum? Or a way to remove the hum from an existing VST depending on how much I feel like digging into the nuts and bolts?
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Actually it's because nothing is perfect and your guitar can possibly contribute to the noise.
You really just need to use a noise gate.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
Quote by Clay-man
Actually it's because nothing is perfect and your guitar can possibly contribute to the noise.
You really just need to use a noise gate.

We've eliminated the guitars as the source by plugging them into our actual rigs (cables included). Negligible buzz even at higher volumes. The interface gives a little hum on the bass because we're using the rear inputs, which per our understandings are intended more for keys/vocals/high signal instruments.

We're getting more buzz out of the bass by going into the back then the guitar going through the front "instrument" jack, and we intend to get my head into the line so we can use the XLR input instead of the 1 1/4" to hopefully eliminate it to some degree, but the software is absolutely adding a ton of noise.

It's very noticable with the alpha because it has a monitor mix dial which lets you select levels between the 'dry' preamp sound of the instruments going directly into the interface, the "wet" monitor sound of the instruments actually being processed and fed back to the monitor outs on the interface. When we set the dial all the way to the monitor side, the buzz becomes excessive, whereas going "dry" gives us very little hum at all.

I'm fairly new to all of this so I may be off base, please let me know if that's the case.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
^ its possible there are amp sims that dont have buzz, but ive not found any. let me be clear though, i only get this line noise when im using dirty amp models, ala marshall/mesa boogie/etc. all my cleans come through bright and clean.