I have 3 guitar power-amps.
All identicle.

Marshall 8008 Rack-mounts;

Could I use one of these to save buying myself a power amp to run with my pre-amps?
Or would the sound be shite?
I've seen people use these things as small PA Amp's & Stage Monitors, so I couldn't see a problem with it myself.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
You could always try it, but I imagine it wouldn't be quite as good as a power amp designed for bass. It should still be usable though.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

power amps don't really affect tone do they? they just boost volume right? if so it should be good.
no sir away a papaya war is on
There aren't a lot of power amplifiers designed specifically for bass, just as there aren't a lot of power amplifiers designed specifically for guitar. The guitar ones are more common as they are really nothing more than a tube-driven amp. Bass power amps are usually just power amps designed to be the other half of a specific preamp, such as the SWR Power 750.

Your Marshall power amplifiers will work just fine for bass, though at 100 watts (I believe that is what they are rated at) is a bit light for bass. You are correct in that the power amp doesn't add a lot of coloration to the tone. Some add more than others, but for the most part it is going to be your preamp that shapes your tone.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
The marshall will add a marshall tone to your sound, simply from th circuit and im guessing it is a tube preamp so its well loud enough.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Nah, it's not a tube pre-amp.
It's a power amp, SS amp from back in the days of the Tranny tones.
I got them on the cheap.
The 8008 are at 80+80 watts stereo.
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Power amps make HUGE differences to tone. Unless the amp is designed to be transparent.

They have the switch on the back for a plain-transparent tone or for a Valvestate-Valve like tone.
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
8008s are t00b aren't they? You'll be fine to use it with a bass pre, you might find yourself wanting a bit more headroom if you plan to gig with it, you should get some pretty nice sounds out of it actually. Use iit with a nice bass cab and you'll be sweet.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
At the end of the day it's not going to do any damage at all, and you have the gear already, so just try it out and see if it works for you.