Page 1 of 2
So, my little sister, Olivia, is 4. My other two siblings are nothing like me, so ever since Olivia was born I hoped she would be just like me. Well, lately I 've been trying to introduce to music. Some time last year she heard "Crazy Train" and said she loved it, so I showed her Ozzy and she loved him. But now everything I show her (all genres), she says she hates it (including "Crazy Train")!

I would love to get her to sit down and listen to a song all the way through before she says she hates it. But I don't wanna force it on her. Is it too early to be introducing her to different styles of music? When do you guys think the best time is?

And secondly (I know this probably won't be for a few more years), when would be a good time to ask her if she wants to start learning an instrument? I would love to teach her some music when she's able to understand it better, but, again, I don't wanna force it on her.

Have you guys ever had situations like this with your siblings or your own kids?
As soon as possible, honestly.

Just don't force the genre on her.
RIP Tom Searle.
Musical taste isn't really something you can encourage, it just happens as people mature. Learning an instrument is a good idea for anyone though and i'd say a kid should start learning as young as possible
Appreciating Metal since 1998

R.I.P - Ronnie James Dio

1942-2010
my brothers listen to pop, the type we all hate.
i listen to thrash metal. not good
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
force her to listen to pop and r&b music all the time. when she's old enough, she'll go through the inevitable rebel phase and she'll become a rocker.
i think children in the womb should listen to music. for example instead of sticking headphones on your/your wife's stomach playing mozart, play black sabbath instead.
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
Youll eventually get raped, but I wouldnt mind a compliment on my penis, a penis compliment is the best kind of compliment.

Quote by moscaespañol
Nice sig by the way.
ASAP but give her a choice, that DOES mean you'll probably have to play some jonas brothers at her, but only for like a second, when she has no opinion move on and forget you ever had contact with that music.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
If you want her to learn an instrument i recommend violin lessons, even if she doesn't like playing it will still be emensly valuable to her when she is older no matter what she wants to play.
Do it the indirect way, just make her not dumb and get rid of anything post 2003 Disney/Nickelodeon/Cartoon-network and she will pick up on non-crappy music genres.
Quote by Deadlock Riff
Womb, blast metal through that Amniotic Fluid!

Coincidentally, amniotic fluid would be a great name for a metal band.
actually if you started in the womb she might have a chance its too lte now
but heavy rock and metal might be too intense for a 4 year old it might scare her just like listen ot it around her and stuff shell get used to it and maybe even like it
also you cant force her to like a genre
Quote by Jackintehbox
Coincidentally, amniotic fluid would be a great name for a metal band.

It does doesn't it?
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
My baby brother who is 7 has a crappy pretend computer. But it has polyphonic classical music and it and he loves it, so I don't even need to force anything upon him, he already likes good music.
When your kids are 4 - 10 years old, show them classic and hard rock (specifically AC/DC, KISS, Led Zeppelin, etc.)

Then, once they are about 11, show them Metallica, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Ozzy, and Van Halen. Then, you can let them go anywhere they want in metal from there.

This will turn them into a good metalhead.
Last edited by TMF128 at Sep 30, 2010,
Quote by Deadlock Riff
Womb, Amniotic Fluid

I love those bands!

just let them decide dude.

my lil sis is 18 month old and seems to love metal, but she has no idea what it is, to little kids its just noise and they probably enjoy your reaction to them dancing around or whatever than they do the music...

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
When your kids are babies, you can let them listen to some pink floyd melodies as their sleeping music, my brother does this.
And while you are driving just play some of the known classic rock bands, every child will start to like it after a while.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Act casual. Put the music in the background (or something similar) so when she comes in she can hear it. If she liked it she'd probably say something or ask for the name of the song.

You can't force her to like certain genres though.
I would let her make up her own mind about it seeing as musical tastes are entirely subjective. Perhaps you could at least be playing some of the music around her but don't force it upon her, just have her understand that your musical tastes are an option. 4 seems a little young though, especially since tastes change.
fear is the mindkiller

CANUCKS
Quote by christfudge
If you want her to learn an instrument i recommend violin lessons, even if she doesn't like playing it will still be emensly valuable to her when she is older no matter what she wants to play.

No. Violin was extremely discouraging towards me when I was little and put me off of learning an instrument for a matter of years.
Super
Old
Cats
Are
Surprising

Many profile views... few friends...
Quote by sticksause
force her to listen to pop and r&b music all the time. when she's old enough, she'll go through the inevitable rebel phase and she'll become a rocker.

Or, you could get her to listen to some REAL r&b.
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
shred knows more about everything than anyone i think

Quote by IchiKurosaki
i hope we never meet shjred honestly i love you but im scared of you
Why do you care what kind of music she listens to? You control freak.
First of all, fuck your screen name.

Second of all, you're an asshole.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
If your child wants to go somewhere, she obviously has to get a ride from you. Just play some music you like and see what sticks. (Even if she doesn't like something right away, with time, it will grow on you).
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
I plan on my children's first full album being Jack Johnson's soundtrack for Curious George. Hell, even as a college student, I enjoy that album. I'll probably play it when they're old enough to understand the words. Probably before then too.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Have them listen to mainstream pop/rap shit so when they turn 12 or 13 they'll listen to the opposite, which is what you wanted them to do in the first place.

Flawless victory, motherfucker.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Well of course I don't want to force it on her. I hate people that do that. My mom used to punish me if I didn't play piano and for years I hated it (I love it now, but that's not the point).

I just don't want her screaming "I don't like this!!" after 2 seconds of it starting. And I don't particularly care what genres she likes (except pop), I just wanna kno when will the average child start to understand differences in genres? When will her musical preferences start to be more consitent instead of a new favorite song every day?

And the instrument thing, of course I wouldn't try to teach her an instrument now. Whether she said yes or no, she probably wouldn't mean it. Whatever her answer would be, it would change the next day. When, though, could the average child answer that question and mean it?

I don't wanna know how to force genres or instruments on her, I just wanna kno when to ask her. When will she know the answer?

If it's an answer I don't like, I'll just shrug my shoulders and forget about it.
the earlier you start kids on music and playing, the more likely they are to develop perfect pitch. it's definitely something that has to be learned during the formative years. either that or the japanese are just genetically superior to other races: nearly 70% of japanese music students in conservatories have perfect pitch.

it's been suggested that 2-4, perfect pitch can be learned. but the same training on kids 5 and older fails.

another theory is that the enormous amount of japanese people with perfect pitch is related to southeast asian languages being 'tonal' languages.
#DTWD
Last edited by primusfan at Sep 30, 2010,
Try playing a bunch of different genres for her
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Fender Standard Telecaster HH Black (SH-5/'59)
-Fender Standard Stratocaster HH White (Nazgul/'59)
-Austin Guitars Les Paul Goldtop Copy (Distortion/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+
-Peavey Stereo Chorus 2x12 Combo
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo
-Marshall MX2x12 Cabinet

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
Quote by MH400
As soon as possible, honestly.

+1
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Page 1 of 2