So I've currently got a Bugera and long story short, it sounds like ass. So I'm in the market for a new amp. I play stuff like:
Buckethead
Rush
Metallica
Steve Vai
Paul Gilbert
Zappa
and a lot of other stuff, all centering around heavy or progressive rock and metal.
So my budget is around a thousand. I was thinking maybe a Carvin Legacy combo? I'm not sure how much gain they can handle though.
EDIT: And I'm playing through a Charvel San Dimas. It's got an alder body and Duncan pickups.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Last edited by Thrasher51 at Sep 30, 2010,
Second hand Marshall DSL/TSL?
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Budget?

failedit: oi my bad
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Last edited by BrokenDstring at Oct 1, 2010,
Quote by Thrasher51
So my budget is around a thousand.

Reading is fun.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Thrasher51 -

Which Bugera do you have and why specifically do you not like it?

I think the JSX, Mesa or possibly a Marshall would work depending on some things.

Do you have a combo or a head now?
Have you played a JSX?
Where are you roughly I see lots of locations
Do you need a dedicated clean channel?
Do you gig? Mostly lead playing or what?

Nice axe!

I've heard the Carvin Legacy can be a bit weak but others love it. I've never played one. I can think of 6 or 7 amps that might work for you.
I have the 6260. The sound is very thin and no matter what I do I can't get a chunky rhythm tone or a creamy lead tone or any warm cleans out of it. It hisses absurdly even on relatively low gain levels. Although that could be fixed with a gate of course.

Do you have a combo or a head now? Head
Have you played a JSX? No, but I've played a XXX which I liked.
Where are you roughly I see lots of locations Southern California.
Do you need a dedicated clean channel? It's definitely preferable but I'm not sure about a necessity.
Do you gig? No but I plan to in the near future.
Mostly lead playing or what? Yeah. But it has to have a good rhythm sound too.
Jet City JCA50, JCA100
Mesa Mark III, Mark IV, Dual Recto, DC series, F series
Peavey 5150, 6505, 6505+, 6534+, XXX, Ultra Plus, 3120, JSX
Blackstar HT-60, HT-40
Soldano Hot Rod, Avenger
Marshall JVM, JCM 900 SL-X, JCM 800 2210 or 2205
Laney GH50L, GH100, VH100R
Used Framus Cobra, Dragon
Used ENGL Screamer, Blackmore (might have to save some more)
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Thrasher51
So I've currently got a Bugera and long story short, it sounds like ass. So I'm in the market for a new amp. I play stuff like:
Buckethead
Rush
Metallica
Steve Vai
Paul Gilbert
Zappa
and a lot of other stuff, all centering around heavy or progressive rock and metal.
So my budget is around a thousand. I was thinking maybe a Carvin Legacy combo? I'm not sure how much gain they can handle though.
EDIT: And I'm playing through a Charvel San Dimas. It's got an alder body and Duncan pickups.

Might be something wrong with it. Try unplugging the guitar cable from the ampand turning the amp on. If you hear a hum or odd feedback when you turn it up, something is wrong.
Quote by Thrasher51
I have the 6260. The sound is very thin and no matter what I do I can't get a chunky rhythm tone or a creamy lead tone or any warm cleans out of it. It hisses absurdly even on relatively low gain levels. Although that could be fixed with a gate of course.

Do you have a combo or a head now? Head
Have you played a JSX? No, but I've played a XXX which I liked.
Where are you roughly I see lots of locations Southern California.
Do you need a dedicated clean channel? It's definitely preferable but I'm not sure about a necessity.
Do you gig? No but I plan to in the near future.
Mostly lead playing or what? Yeah. But it has to have a good rhythm sound too.

Well, your current amp should be able to do all of that. I'm guessing it needs a bias and possibly some new tubes. Do you have the matching Bugera cab? Is the $1,000 for a head only?

ok, usually about this point I start listing off amps I found on craigslist that in your general area. however, there were so frickin' many of them I didn't know where to start.

Raijouta's list is a good starting point.

Are you close to any of this stuff?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/search/msg?query=amp&srchType=A&minAsk=500&maxAsk=1200

5150 II, Switchblade, Dual Rec, Single Rec, Vetta II, VHT Pittbull and Deliverance, JCM800 1983, etc, etc, etc
I had been looking into new tubes, I'll consider that. I had hoped for 1000 for both head and cab, but I could get some more money. And I do have the Bugera cab.
Marshall JCM900 SLX?
Can easily be modded for some more gain, if needed, and you won't even have to go near those huge 300V caps to do so.
Quote by McGryphon
Marshall JCM900 SLX?
Can easily be modded for some more gain, if needed, and you won't even have to go near those huge 300V caps to do so.
Caps are insulated and safe to touch. The problem is when you touch an exposed high voltage lead.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I know, but when modding anything, if you come too close to those caps without discharging them you might touch the wrong lead and I'll tell you, you'll be in pain when those caps choose to discharge their energy through you.
My point is that you can get a possibly lethal shock when you touch something on the other side of the amp as well, far away from the big caps.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Kanthras
My point is that you can get a possibly lethal shock when you touch something on the other side of the amp as well, far away from the big caps.

pretty much. It's all about making a circuit. In this case, to ground.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Reliability issues maybe, but you rarely hear about tone complaints from Bugera owners which makes me think something is wrong. "Thin and no chunk/power/bottom end" aren't words that should be associated with a 6260
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Reliability issues maybe, but you rarely hear about tone complaints from Bugera owners which makes me think something is wrong. "Thin and no chunk/power/bottom end" aren't words that should be associated with a 6260

Agreed, I've got a 6262 (basically the same thing if I remember right, just with independent channel controls), and it's a chunk monster. Your 6260 is more than likely biased colder than Hilary Clinton and would benefit from some decent new tubes as opposed to the stock Bugera ones. (I recommend JJs personally.. smoothed out my lead sound sooo nicely).
Quote by xStratcatx
Agreed, I've got a 6262 (basically the same thing if I remember right, just with independent channel controls), and it's a chunk monster. Your 6260 is more than likely biased colder than Hilary Clinton and would benefit from some decent new tubes as opposed to the stock Bugera ones. (I recommend JJs personally.. smoothed out my lead sound sooo nicely).

I always thought Hilary would've won the election if she went to a good tech