Do American football palyers have classes or are they only football players?

Page 1 of 2
I turned on the TV to an American station.

There is a football game on. It is college football teams.

However, they are not from the same city.

This is live football and happening now. I assume you have to be a student at the university to play football.

It's Thursaday so isn't there classes on Thursady? Homework?... classes in the morning, etc.? How can they play out of their city on a school day?
They have classes...they just schedule around the games/practices...
Schecter C-1 Elite-->BOSS ME-20-->B-52 AT100 2x12

Quote by laid-to-waste
Extremely attractive woman.
extremely attractive
oh baby
EDIT: you're a guy. shit.
...an extremely attractive guy.
extremely attractive
oh baby

E-Paramour of Andrea55
I'm pretty sure they get permission to play, and are excused for their absences.
They are generally drafted into college even though they don't have the grades to do shit all in college. They are barely even students.

Some colleges place way too much emphasis on sports.
Super
Old
Cats
Are
Surprising

Many profile views... few friends...
Yea they schedule around the games. But it can't be easy. The workload of school and a sport like that eats up a lot of time, and expectations are still high
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
pretty much the same thing as high school... except with a tighter schedule i guess.
<3 u
They don't have to take as many classes, which is good because they do pretty much spend all day in the gym.

Quote by StratoCatser
They are generally drafted into college even though they don't have the grades to do shit all in college. They are barely even students.

Some colleges
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Last edited by Zombee at Sep 30, 2010,
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
Yea they schedule around the games. But it can't be easy. The workload of school and a sport like that eats up a lot of time, and expectations are still high

In programs where the players expect to be drafted into the NFL, they don't need to give a crap about grades...and in "normal" schools, like mine, players don't have to miss classes very often, they just take classes that allow for time to practice and work out.

Quote by laid-to-waste
extremely attractive
oh baby
extremely attractive
oh baby

E-Paramour of Andrea55
Quote by phlip999
I'm pretty sure they get permission to play, and are excused for their absences.

But they aren't allowed to skip tests and such. If they miss a test day, they have to take it ASAP when they get back. So, usually, the next day or such. Same with assignments, etc.

Also, I'm sure they can't practice or play games unless they have a certain GPA.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 30, 2010,
My school is division 2 (Our football team is ranked 1 in the country) and I believe in Div. 2 they emphasize education is just as important if not more
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
They schedule around games and practices. They get excused absences. They have individual tutors that travel with them to make sure they don't get ridiculously far behind. If they're an important player, they get free passes to say the least. The majority of them are like...communications majors...so they barely have to try basically.
Last edited by RockInPeaceDime at Sep 30, 2010,
It's a big source of revenue for the schools. So the college lets them take easy classes and are flexible with their scheduals.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Also, I'm sure they can't practice or play games unless they have a certain GPA.

This. Therefore, they take as many pisseasy classes as possible during the fall semester. At least I assume that's how good sports schools do it. My uni's football squad = sux0r.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

yes they have classes...but all the games and practicing and what not do cause them to fall behind a little so a lot of them catch up during the summer.
EDIT: I'd just like to point out the Toby Gerhart (rookie in the nfl) played football at Stanford as a straight A student and finished school instead of going straight to off season practices for the NFL to major in engineering..
Last edited by stratdud39 at Sep 30, 2010,
Quote by stratdud39
yes they have classes...but all the games and practicing and what not do cause them to fall behind a little so a lot of them catch up during the summer.

Wow, how do your football guys even get hired after college? Fall behind. Jeese...
A lot of them take bullshit classes and major in something like rhetorical studies.
That's the extremely talented but lazy ones.
Some of them can pull it off though.
A lot of them have tutors on the road. And they have to be academically eligible to play.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
But they aren't allowed to skip tests and such. If they miss a test day, they have to take it ASAP when they get back. So, usually, the next day or such. Same with assignments, etc.

How would that happen? Do american professors have to do it?

When I was in university there was no way certain professors would have let anyone miss a test and write it unless they had a doctor's certificate.
Quote by Raptorfingers
How would that happen? Do american professors have to do it?

When I was in university there was no way certain professors would have let anyone miss a test and write it unless they had a doctor's certificate.

Well, the college that has the team would say that the teachers should allow it. There's no reason not to. Any professor who won't let me make up a test is a fat ****.
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55

Yeah this is pretty much it. A lot of them chose a pretty light degree plan, but they still have to live up to the same standards. If they drop below a certain point they can't play, and they lose scholarship money.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Wow, how do your football guys even get hired after college? Fall behind. Jeese...

There aren't a lot of football guys that play at that level for that big of a school...there are plenty of guys who played football in smaller D 1AA colleges who would get hired just as easily as anyone else.
Quote by CaptainRon
That's what geology is for.

?????

I'm a geologist (have been for 32 years and during some of that have taught at colleges

First year...Calculus, chemistry, physics, statistics...lab 3 nights a week.

We had zero time for organized sports. Two weekends a month in the mountains doing field work.
I go to UF, and we're 7 in the country right now. A good amount of the players are at least fairly smart and take decent schedules, though there are some who barely get by in school. I've heard rumors of teachers bumping up top players' grades so they can stay on the team, but I can't say for sure.
Quote by Raptorfingers

It's Thursday so isn't there classes on Thursday? Homework?... classes in the morning, etc.? How can they play out of their city on a school day?

At my college most people only have class Mon-Wed.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by rgrockr
At my college most people only have class Mon-Wed.

Damn that would be nice.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by iro-bot31
I go to UF, and we're 7 in the country right now. A good amount of the players are at least fairly smart and take decent schedules, though there are some who barely get by in school. I've heard rumors of teachers bumping up top players' grades so they can stay on the team, but I can't say for sure.

I hope you guys loose.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Quote by SteveHouse

Damn that would be nice.

Well it IS just community college. Plus many people have VERY long days (my Fridays go from 7 AM to 10 PM).
Quote by CG Man16
I hope you guys loose.

'Bama fan, methinks? And I assure you we're not very tight around here.
Nah, I've just always hated UF

I'd also like to rub it in my friend's (who go there) noses.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Quote by SteveHouse

Damn that would be nice.

At my school, most people work as well as attend classes...so a huge amount take only either M/W or T/TH classes.

Quote by laid-to-waste
extremely attractive
oh baby
extremely attractive
oh baby

E-Paramour of Andrea55
Someone has probably said it already but they take complete slacker/blow off classes. College isn't about the education for them.
Quote by Agithor
Someone has probably said it already but they take complete slacker/blow off classes. College isn't about the education for them.

College isn't about education for SOME OF THEM. You do know that only about 2.4% of college football players make it into the NFL, right?
Quote by Agithor

I hope you realize that a lot of people play football in high school with the goal of just getting a scholarship to a good college. Most of them are smart enough to know that the odds are against a professional football career, it's just their way in.
Yep, at my school none of the football palyers have class on Thursady.
Quote by CaptDin
I hope you realize that a lot of people play football in high school with the goal of just getting a scholarship to a good college. Most of them are smart enough to know that the odds are against a professional football career, it's just their way in.

Toss the bull shit dude. There are maybe two out of 60 or so football players at my high school that are in Honors or AP classes. Maybe your high school, in the middle of Tenennse, has incredibly smart football players, I know mine doesn't. If you're not gonna try it high school, good luck in college.
Quote by stratdud39
College isn't about education for SOME OF THEM. You do know that only about 2.4% of college football players make it into the NFL, right?

Where do they find the other NFL players?
Quote by StratoCatser

Yeah, one of my college teachers mentioned that countries outside the US actually make sure the students are getting good grades or they're not allowed to play.
Click here

Page 1 of 2