After a couple of months of searching and having gone through a few different amps i finally settled on this, a Blackstar HT-20 head and 2x12 Orange cab, and im very pleased with it. I can now say im proud of my amp.
Ill get to the review later by first the pictures:

^ T0000bz

^ Celestion V30s, nice.

now for the mini review

we'll start with the clean channel. Its nice and simple with a tone knob and volume. turn the tone knob to the right and its sparkly and turn to the left and its warm. When you get the volume cranking on this channel it breaks up rather nicely and you can get some good overdriven tones. I dont use cleans so much but never-the-less they are still pretty nice.

now, the overdrive channel. You can go from lightly overdriven to some pretty gainy stuff. its also got 3 band eq, volume control and the ISF knob. The ISF knob is like a contour knob, to the left it scoops the mids and boost the bass and treble a bit and to the left it boost the mids to give a british sound. Another thing about this channel is that the gain never gets fizzy and always remains smooth at high levels.

The head has master volume and digital reverb which i think sounds pretty good - i was surprised by the reverb, sounder real nice. I love the styling o fthe head aswell. Its also my first tube amp!

I got it sitting on an Orange PPC 212 cab with Celestion Vintage 30 in it. Its solidly built and sounds really nice, it can handle metal as well which is pretty cool. And its black (a black Orange, confusing huh?) so it matches with the head

overall im proud of my purchase and satisfied with the way it sounds.

I may be in the market for an OD pedal or EQ pedal so hit me with some idea or PM them to me.

EDIT: ahh my pics are sideways, they arent sideways on Photobucket, ill try and fix that
Last edited by CreepingDeath13 at Oct 1, 2010,
Quote by patriotplayer90
That is sexy. That's an awesome looking epiphone as well.

thanks man, its covered in fingerprints at the moment, looks even sexier when polished up

Quote by gregs1020
you should re-tolex the head in orange for the lulz.

congrats.

oh the confusion that would come from that. An Orange thats black and a Blackstar thats orange, my brain hurts just thinking about it.
Quote by CreepingDeath13

oh the confusion that would come from that. An Orange thats black and a Blackstar thats orange, my brain hurts just thinking about it.

like the cat and dog that grew up together. the dog thought it was a cat and vice versa.

nice one! heh, I just got the exact same gear (except mine is 1x12 config) yesterday
Nice that epiphone is sick.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Great looking rig there! HNAD
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by adityasen
nice one! heh, I just got the exact same gear (except mine is 1x12 config) yesterday
LOL thats so funny! I'm buying a Blackstar HT-20 with an Orange cab soon too! lol. As soon as I buy my guitars >.>
<.<

There should be like...a Blackstar with orange Cab club or something. Srsly. I've seen that setup on Youtube like 50 times....
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
thats an awesome cab. i love my PPC 2x12", just wait until you break in the speakers, it only gets better.

BTW: Orange cabs are way sexier in orange.

haha
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Meh, I like them in both colors. The front of the amp mixed with the black tolex looks unique on black Oranges (wut). I'd prefer orange myself...but both are good IMO.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Last edited by Ayses at Oct 1, 2010,
Quote by Ayses
Meh, I like them in both colors. The front of the amp mixed with the black tolex looks unique on black Oranges[/B] (wut). I'd prefer orange myself...but both are good IMO.

i was more or less making a joke... both colors are fine. i just think the orange has more mojo
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Oct 1, 2010,
ORANGE
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Last edited by Ayses at Oct 1, 2010,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i was more or less making a joke... both colors are fine. i just think the orange has more mojo

i fixed it for you Ayeses
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I second or third the orange tolex on the Blackstar. It would turn tons of heads and it would be a really unique looking set up.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Lovely set up there mate.

That epiphone looks great, bugt i bet the amp and cab sound even better.

Those blackstars really shine with a high quality cab and you dont get much higher than Orange IMO

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
HNAD

I nearly did the orange blackstar thing but orange head blackstar cab
Amps:
Orange Rocker 30
Marshall JCM 800 1960 4x12
Guitars:
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400
Pedals:
Boss SD-1
Boss GE-7
Behringer TU-300

www.myspace.com/oceansatealaska
Awesome rig. I love your SG, bet the Orange cab makes the Blackstar way more awesome.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

orange Oranges look cool but im keeping it low key with the black if ya know what i mean .

whoever said where are the unwrapping pics i sorry. it wasnt really wrapped in the store as i was trying it out then we just put it a box with some polystyrene coener bits and that was that. i was also way too keen just to pull it out of the box and let rip. Far too preoccupied to go in search of a camera

And yeah, everyone seems to be doing the Blackstar and Orange set-up. I say the other NGD with the 1x12 just before i made mine!
can anyone recommed me an OD or Distortion pedal to giv it a boost. im currenly running the DS-1 with the tone in the middle, the distortion on 0 and the level at full for a boost but this isnt really ideal, is pretty noisy and doesnt sound too great, it also still acts as a distortion pedal as well. I preferably want something without a mid boost and more trebbly (but not too much, just for a little mire definition and bite) and not to pricey (in fact cheaper is better)

I hear EQ pedals can act as a boost also ?? would i be better gettin one of these ??
black orange cab is NOMMM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM

HNGD dudee
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by CreepingDeath13
can anyone recommed me an OD or Distortion pedal to giv it a boost. im currenly running the DS-1 with the tone in the middle, the distortion on 0 and the level at full for a boost but this isnt really ideal, is pretty noisy and doesnt sound too great, it also still acts as a distortion pedal as well. I preferably want something without a mid boost and more trebbly (but not too much, just for a little mire definition and bite) and not to pricey (in fact cheaper is better)

I hear EQ pedals can act as a boost also ?? would i be better gettin one of these ??

i would recomment a Fulltone OCD or some form of tubescreamer for overdrive. i prefer the OCD myself, but you have to make the decision. you can find used OCD's for around $100 all day on thegearpage

EQ's are very useful, and if you go for one, i would recomment MXR, i have the 10 band, but i am sure a 6 band would do you good, if you want to save a few bucks. the one downside to the 6 band though is it doesn't have volume and gain sliders, so you couldn't use it as a pre poweramp boost (for example for soloing). look around for about $80 used on the 10 band, and i am not sure about the 6 band. i would always buy used with pedals.

have fun.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by CreepingDeath13

zvex vexter super hard on?
Quote by CreepingDeath13

honestly, i would not go with any of them.

to start off, with pedals you get what you pay for. if you get a cheap EQ, it is going to add noise, and not be as reliable, and the sliders may break. which accounts for the first two links. for the third link, the metal muff is a distortion, and overdrive is much more helpful with tube amps, they are different things. and for the fourth one, if you find it cheaper the boss would do the job, but the MXR is a higher quality unit. thats just my opinion though, take it for what its worth.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
^ ok thanks man. i could get the Boss cheaper. the Mxr is way out of my price range. the links is about all the stuff 2nd hand in NZ that i can afford, kinda just copy and pasting links

I think ill wait around a bit and see if an MXR or something similar turns up in the next couple of months for cheap on the net.
HNAD, I had the exact same setup, although I ditched the Orange cab for the Framus (same speakers so the difference was negligible). I use a MXR GT-OD as my overdrive of choice.

Guitars:
Charvel USA San Dimas | Jackson Matt Tuck Rhoads | Jackson DK2M Dinky | Epiphone Les Paul Custom Midnight | Fender MIM Sunburst Tele

Amp:
Jet City JCA100HDM | Framus CS 2x12
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i would recomment a Fulltone OCD or some form of tubescreamer for overdrive. i prefer the OCD myself, but you have to make the decision. you can find used OCD's for around $100 all day on thegearpage

Massive +1 to the OCD. I run a Fulltone OCD clone (a Fullclone ) in front of my main amp to tighten up the gain and give it that lovely saturated feel.
how hard is it to make an OD pedal myself, a clone as you will? i hanvt done it before but i reckon i could handle it if its not too complicated.
Quote by Wesbanez
Well if you're confident with a soldering iron (an essential skill for any guitarist really) then you will have no problems whatsoever.

my brother can solder so i guess he could help/i could learn from him. i really have no idea where to start though....
Dude. your setup actually looks amazing.

gratz!
Carvin V3 - Matamp 4x12 - VHT Valvulator - Maxon OD808 - Visual Volume Pedal

EH Cathedral - Ibanez DE7
Awesome looking stack. I need a 212 ob myself...

As for building pedals check out websites like

musikding.de
uk-electronic.de
build your own clone
general guitar gadgets

They sell kits with some nice instructions. You can build some well known pedals that sell for alot of cash for real cheap, pretty easily.
Quote by CreepingDeath13
my brother can solder so i guess he could help/i could learn from him. i really have no idea where to start though....

Generalguitargadgets.com and BYOC (build your own clone) are good places to start. they sell complete kits with instructions for every step.

But if you were looking for cheap boosts without having to build one, I would reccomend Danelectro's Drive and Transparent OD or a Boss SD-1.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Oct 1, 2010,