Hey guys, I'm very new to the whole electric guitar world but i have been playin acoustic guitar now for close to 3 years. I'm just wondering what are some of the pros/cons for having humbuckers compared to single coil pick ups for an electric guitar?
All in all is all we are
Single coil pups make your guitar sound like a strat. Humbuckers make it sound like a les paul. Well, it's a bit more complicated than that, but really that's it.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Humbuckers are grittier and like the name suggests, they don't have any hum. Single coils have more clarity and punch, but they do hum sometimes. That's an EASY fix though. Get you some shielding tape and you're in business.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

single coils have lower output meaning they dont overdrive the amp as much
and they also have a brighter cleaner sound but are suspectable to 60 cycle hum

humbuckers are wired in such a way so that they dont have the hum or at least as much as single coils they have more output than singlecoils more gain and have a darker sound than single coils
Alright thanks guys! I bought a HSS strat and i was honestly wondering what the difference is between a single coil at the bridge compared to the humbucker.
All in all is all we are
Quote by flawson27
Alright thanks guys! I bought a HSS strat and i was honestly wondering what the difference is between a single coil at the bridge compared to the humbucker.

also you should know that positions 2 and 4 on the strat are also humbucking in the sense that they wont hum as much as the 3 and 5
Good choice with the HSS Strat. The humbucker will give you some nice overdrive and stuff for hard rock/metal, or even blues. The single coils will give you that nice clear mellow tone...think Red Hot Chili Peppers or Jimi Hendrix (ok Hendrix isn't really mellow, but you get my point.)
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst