So I may end up ordering a 4x12 Avatar cab, however I'm unsure of which cabinet type (traditional vs vintage vs contemporary) and speaker selections to get.

The type of music, think of: Psycroptic, Hypocrisy, Cryptopsy, Amon Amarth, Scar Symmetry, etc.

Which cabinet type would support this type of music sound?

Also, the speakers to choose that I'm interested in are the G12T75's, think it'd be a good idea to load up all all 4 with that type? Thanks.
Last edited by Jouho at Oct 1, 2010,
^I'm guessing that is all deathcore, black metal, or melodic death metal ???

I'd look to the Traditional or the Contemporary (both are closed back) The thickness of the wood that makes the box is the same - pro tip.

I would also consider the G12T75s and the Hellatone 60s in a 'X' pattern.

What amp do you have? Have you called Avatar? Do it - they are great to talk to.
I'm going to get a Bugera 6262 head, and I'm not sure what ohm's to get for the cabinet, arg. 8 or 16? :/
Thanks for the reply again, but I may go for 8 ohm's as that's the recommended ohm for the G12K100's which I might get for the cab, :3.

Anyone see a problem with having 4 of those in a cab? Phasing? Better idea to have 2 of those and 2 of something else? Ideas? Thanks!
well, a couple more thoughts would be this:

The G12K100 may come in 8 ohms but remember they are all added together when wiring for a cab. 8+8+8+8 = 32. That won't work. 4 - 8 ohm speakers wired in series/parallel might work.

Also, these speakers are 100 watts right? That is 400 total. I'd mix with something else but that is just me wanting to mess with the common ideas of how things should be done.
What about 2 G12K100's and 2 V30's (or Hellatone 60's which are broken in V30's)? Would that work out good with that type of music?

If you're familiar with Opeth, I'm going to play stuff by them as well, heh.
Last edited by Jouho at Oct 1, 2010,
whats going on here?

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
16 will be more typical for a 4x12. I believe the Avatars also have 4 ohm option and a stereo option. You can ask them. But to keep it simple - get the 16 ohm option.

i like 16 ohm myself, but what does the bugera support? remember TS, always match the cabinet to the head, you get a new cab and base the specs on what the amp wants.

a 16 ohm load tends to attenuate lower frequencies more, keeps the guitar more off the bass players toes so to speak. it also works the head less, so driving the amp at higher volume is a bit less stressful for the amp. you may get a bit less volume at a higher impedance, but it probably won't be noticeable.

a 8 ohm load will have a bit better low end response and may be more desireable for slack tuned guitars or baritones or 7 strings. an 8 ohm load will work the amp a bit harder, but i wouldn't worry as guitar amps are pretty robust and expect such mistreatment and are prepared as such. an 8 ohm load may also sound a bit louder than a 16 ohm cab.

what does the bugera support, do you slack tune?

Quote by 311
The G12K100 may come in 8 ohms but remember they are all added together when wiring for a cab. 8+8+8+8 = 32. That won't work. 4 - 8 ohm speakers wired in series/parallel might work.

why would you wire them all in series? usually parallel is a bit more common... your series/parallel was dead on though.

use 16 ohm speaker wired in series parallel for a total 16 ohm 4x12 cab.

use an 8 ohm speaker wired in series parallel for a total 8 ohm 4x12 cab.

Quote by TS
What about 2 G12K100's and 2 V30's (or Hellatone 60's which are broken in V30's)? Would that work out good with that type of music?

If you're familiar with Opeth, I'm going to play stuff by them as well, heh.

i like the G12K's, if you want low end response i would use these. i believe they have freq response rated down to 55 hz, power handling rated for 100 watts and have a pretty flat response. they're stiff as hell and sound a bit sterile. i ran a 4x12 of these for a long time, i was a fan. these speakers will handle a ton of distortion and low end and not sweat

a V30 won't have the low end response, but will cut in the mix, provide a substantial mids hump that some people like and some people don't. the V30 is fairly well rounded other wise and will get you heard in a mix.

i'd personally run a G12-65 with a K instead of the V30's, as i feel the 65's are a much more subtle and a bit woody sounding.

unfortunately i don't know the music, and youtube is taking forever to load to i am not trying to look up the bands on there. but if you want a low end slack tuned cabinet then get an 8 ohm 4x12 of K-100's. it'll be low end death metal to hell. get them in a contemporary cab (that cab has a bit more dimension for extra internal air space which provides a lower resonance for better low end response).

else, if you want something more balanced and subtle do like a G12-65 and a K-100, if you wanna stick out more 311's recipe is good, or the K-100's with V30's.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Oct 1, 2010,
Quote by gumbilicious
whats going on here?

i like 16 ohm myself, but what does the bugera support? remember TS, always match the cabinet to the head, you get a new cab and base the specs on what the amp wants.

a 16 ohm load tends to attenuate lower frequencies more, keeps the guitar more off the bass players toes so to speak. it also works the head less, so driving the amp at higher volume is a bit less stressful for the amp. you may get a bit less volume at a higher impedance, but it probably won't be noticeable.

a 8 ohm load will have a bit better low end response and may be more desireable for slack tuned guitars or baritones or 7 strings. an 8 ohm load will work the amp a bit harder, but i wouldn't worry as guitar amps are pretty robust and expect such mistreatment and are prepared as such. an 8 ohm load may also sound a bit louder than a 16 ohm cab.

what does the bugera support, do you slack tune?

why would you wire them all in series? usually parallel is a bit more common... your series/parallel was dead on though.

use 16 ohm speaker wired in series parallel for a total 16 ohm 4x12 cab.

use an 8 ohm speaker wired in series parallel for a total 8 ohm 4x12 cab.

i like the G12K's, if you want low end response i would use these. i believe they have freq response rated down to 55 hz, power handling rated for 100 watts and have a pretty flat response. they're stiff as hell and sound a bit sterile. i ran a 4x12 of these for a long time, i was a fan. these speakers will handle a ton of distortion and low end and not sweat

a V30 won't have the low end response, but will cut in the mix, provide a substantial mids hump that some people like and some people don't. the V30 is fairly well rounded other wise and will get you heard in a mix.

i'd personally run a G12-65 with a K instead of the V30's, as i feel the 65's are a much more subtle and a bit woody sounding.

unfortunately i don't know the music, and youtube is taking forever to load to i am not trying to look up the bands on there. but if you want a low end slack tuned cabinet then get an 8 ohm 4x12 of K-100's. it'll be low end death metal to hell. get them in a contemporary cab (that cab has a bit more dimension for extra internal air space which provides a lower resonance for better low end response).

else, if you want something more balanced and subtle do like a G12-65 and a K-100, if you wanna stick out more 311's recipe is good, or the K-100's with V30's.

The g12 65s are wayyy overpriced. They are considered heritage series, driving up their price, but are reported to stink and sound little like the originals by those who have owned both. The same people praise the warehouse copies though, they are awesome speakers.

But gumbi gave good advice. I find the v30s to be too much in the midrange. I have cut through the mix just fine with other speakers,without the annoying honkiness Of the v30s and with much greater clarity.

So I am all for gumbi's suggestion for something other than the v30
WOW, thanks of the responses!

The bugera head is rated for 4, 8, and 16.

I got my mind on a closed back contemporary cab (they only come in closed back maybe).

So all out G12K100's?

I may mainly play with a 7 string standard B tuning, 6 string's in D and drop C.
Quote by patriotplayer90
The g12 65s are wayyy overpriced. They are considered heritage series, driving up their price, but are reported to stink and sound little like the originals by those who have owned both. The same people praise the warehouse copies though, they are awesome speakers.

hmm, appears they are only heritage. you can just go with the next gen T-75 then. frankly i have only played older versions of the speaker (the G12-50 and 80's versions) and you can get them for very reasonable prices. but there is no need to with a T-75 that is quite comparable.

ian mackaye used the G12-65 to great effect in fugazi, very good tone (and one of the main reason i recommend the speaker). the G12T-75 replaced it as marshall's stock speaker in the later 80's.

Quote by patriotplayer90
So I am all for gumbi's suggestion for something other than the v30

i mainly recommend the V30 cuz people without much preference in speaker tend to be favorable toward it. i personally don't care for it and have replaced them with webers in my orange 212.

but they still may be an option TS may like.

-ae
Quote by Jouho

I got my mind on a closed back contemporary cab (they only come in closed back maybe).

So all out G12K100's?

I may mainly play with a 7 string standard B tuning, 6 string's in D and drop C.

yeah, for such low tunings i would def run all K's, wired for 8 ohms. the contemporary is usually a closed back design.

btw, the contemporary cab with K-100's wired for 8 ohms matches specs on orange's hi power cab (PPC 412 HP 8) built for their thunderverb head. they picked that configuration of speaker and wiring to facilitate a bass as well as guitar, so it'll def handle slack B tunings on seven string.

also, diezel had changed their stock speaker from V30's to K-100's for more low end response. saw it on a interview on youtube.

i think you'll be happy

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Oct 1, 2010,
Quote by Jouho

So all out G12K100's?

i like the G12K100's a lot, but i like them better mixed with Vintage 30's, it just seems like that having the Vintage 30's in there make the amp cut through a lot better to me.

or maybe consider mixing the G12K100's with something else? maybe T75's? i havent heard that combination though, and have no idea how it would sound. i was just thinking of an example.

as far as the impedience goes, i would go with 8 ohms. i see more amps accepting 8 ohms than 16, although 99% of the time, both will be accepted. i could be wrong, but i swear that i have at least one head that doesn't do 16 ohms.

and gumbi, thanks for all of the good info.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by gumbilicious

why would you wire them all in series?

You wouldn't in his scenario. I was trying to ease into all of that and then post my Series/Parallel diagram to show him what I meant but I fell asleep.

I like the GK12T100 and the Hellatone idea.
Both the V30 and K100 are known to handle low tunings VERY well.
Also, the Comtemporary cab is the only cab from Avatar I would consider buying.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION