are there and HRD mods to make it sound generally better? maybe to sound more like a Marshall JTM 45? any help would be nice. I want to get a new amp, but Improving my current amp's quality would be cheaper... I would guess.
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

I would imagine the HRD's circuit is pretty different to the JTM 45's. If you were going Fender Tweed Bassman -> JTM 45 it wouldn't be that difficult.

As far as modding goes, you could look up some circuit mods and tweak the drive channel, but I've heard the HRD is difficult to mod because of its thin PCB.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
The Hot Rod can be modded in a number of different ways, but a JTM45 does not seem to be one of them. Most of the mods focus on the clean channel, since the OD is almost beyond help. You can certainly improve the amp, a lot on the clean and a bit on the OD channel, but it wouldn't really be able to reach into the British vein you're looking for. If the amp isn't right for you, sell it and get another. Your guitar collection looks quite good, you really shouldn't compromise on the amp, especially if you've only got the one.
F**k the over drive channel, that's why I have over 500 dollars put into distortion on my pedalboard. But how can I improve the clean channel? I might as well get another amp, but i would still like to use this one.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

I have 7 ODs or distortions or what ever you want to call them (lowkey ahah). I play mostly blues, Jazz, pop rock, and just good old Rock & Roll.
I think i would spend up to possibly $2,000. I preferably want a head and a cab, just making it easier for my for band rehearsals. (have a cab there and one at home)
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

Quote by kracdown
F**k the over drive channel, that's why I have over 500 dollars put into distortion on my pedalboard. But how can I improve the clean channel? I might as well get another amp, but i would still like to use this one.

Whattt!?!? I have two overdrive pedals in front of that amp and I find that that's more than adequate. Just out of curiosity what pedals do you have? Anyway, have you considered a speaker change? i find that the bass is a bit muddy and the highs are a bit shrill with the stock speaker so I'm considering changing.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
If you want loud and clean and American, you could get a Fender Bassman (Blackface or Silverface)... loud and British, Vox AC30, or a JTM45 clone or even a Marshall Major clone.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I'm in good old Los Angeles, California. My 7 distortion/ods are:
1.BMF Great Wide Open
2. Big Muff
3. Love Pedal English Man
4. Boss Blues Driver
5. Boss HM-2
6. Boss DS-1

I guess I only have 6. I like american cleans, but british overdriven tones.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

Quote by kracdown
I like american cleans, but british overdriven tones.

I think that is true for a lot of us. There are some amps out there (I am not aware of all of them) that can get Fenderish cleans and British'ish distortion in one amp). Here are just a few that I am aware of:

5150 III
Egnater Renegade (has 6L6 and EL34s)
Mesa Road Kings can do this too
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Riveras
Dr Z

other stuff I can't think of right of now. You may also want to consider getting a second amp and a ABY pedal and keep your HRD for cleans. Have you played the HRD II yet? It has some nice improvements.

There is just a boat load of really nice amps on your craigslist. I'm really not even sure where to begin.

Randall RMS, Budda Superdrive 18, Marshall '74 JMP, Soldano Hot Rod, Laney VH100, Cornford MK50, Framus Dragon, Mesa Mark IV, Orange Rockerverb 50, JCM 800, Mesa Mark I, etc, etc

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/search/msg?query=amp&srchType=A&minAsk=1000&maxAsk=2200

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 1, 2010,
so why did we dump the whole modding thing again? he certainly can... most amps have the same layout that you'll be fine just changing values of resistors to meet your needs, although it might be tough adding a cathode follower in there. you CAN still do it... to an extent.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I have found that leaving the EQ set close to flat everything at 12'o clock and using an OD makes the OD channels sound completely different. I was using a Tube Screamer but actually picked up an MXR Classic Distortion(Distortion III) and it works wonders. That and my USA Big Muff pretty much cover the spectrum. I am searching for two pedals that will give me specific tones such as an English Muff'n and possibly a pure fuzz so I can have all the distorted sounds I would ever want.

Maybe I have more freedom since I'm not a cover artist and don't spend any time trying to match other artists tones. I guess it also depends on how much time you spend playing live as opposed to sitting in your bedroom. My playing is 80% live and the time I don't spend playing live I spend practicing to play live. My whole life as a guitarist is spent on playing at least twice a week, every week.

As an actual performing musician I'll tell you, the HRD has not failed me yet. Other amps can do specific sounds maybe a little better but with the right pedal and a good ear the HRD is capable of covering a broad spectrum of tones.

I believe there is a forum dedicated to the HRD and you can find tons of info on modding there.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -George Santayana
Quote by ECistheBest
so why did we dump the whole modding thing again? he certainly can... most amps have the same layout that you'll be fine just changing values of resistors to meet your needs, although it might be tough adding a cathode follower in there. you CAN still do it... to an extent.

He did say he is looking for Brit tones and is using 5 distortion pedals. What kind of mods were you thinking of?

If he really likes the HRD then I'd keep it, spend $800 - $1500 on a second amp and a good ABY pedal from Radial.
Quote by Chococat
I have found that leaving the EQ set close to flat everything at 12'o clock and using an OD makes the OD channels sound completely different. I was using a Tube Screamer but actually picked up an MXR Classic Distortion(Distortion III) and it works wonders. That and my USA Big Muff pretty much cover the spectrum. I am searching for two pedals that will give me specific tones such as an English Muff'n and possibly a pure fuzz so I can have all the distorted sounds I would ever want.

Maybe I have more freedom since I'm not a cover artist and don't spend any time trying to match other artists tones. I guess it also depends on how much time you spend playing live as opposed to sitting in your bedroom. My playing is 80% live and the time I don't spend playing live I spend practicing to play live. My whole life as a guitarist is spent on playing at least twice a week, every week.

As an actual performing musician I'll tell you, the HRD has not failed me yet. Other amps can do specific sounds maybe a little better but with the right pedal and a good ear the HRD is capable of covering a broad spectrum of tones.

I believe there is a forum dedicated to the HRD and you can find tons of info on modding there.

I agree it is a fine amp, but I perform with this amp at least 4 times a month. I haven't tried the new HRD 2 and I have no intention on owning one
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

the hrds overdrive can be fixed by just replacing the v2 with a 12au7 and the phase inverter with a 5751.

the od's not bad per say. it's just too much for that amp. Some engineer at fender just decided to stick a circuit meant for a much better amp in there. I'd replace the v1 with a 5751 as well.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer