I been trying to get that "scratchy" ska guitar tone for months now. Im talkin the tone from"Nazi white trash" or "Unity" or "or "yelling in my ear" it sound well, scratchy to me. Ove been trying to emulate this with my squier J5 and peavey VYPYR but I cant get close to it. Distortion is far too heavy and clean sounds too nice. could it be the pickups they use or other weird shit?
Try just setting it on clean and cranking the volume til the signal starts to break up.

I did that with my Line 6 Spider, and my tone was pretty close to that Operation Ivy sound. I dunno what the VYPYRs settings are like, but clean channel + drive all the way up + volume at 10 was how I rolled.
You obviously didn't try too hard if you can't get a crappy tone out of a Peavey.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Op Ivy seems to have more gain/distortion, and less reverb, where as LoC seems to be cleaner with a little more reverb. Don't know the setting on the dials, but I've ****ed around with my amp before and found both. It's not too hard.

Quote by due 07
1. Turn treble to 10
2. Turn bass to 0.
3. Shit on guitar.

This.
Speak the truth, even if your voice shakes
Turn the treble up quite a lot, and put it on your least powerful distortion setting and even then have very, very low gain. That's what I do on a line 6 for Op Ivy sound.

Jack my swag
A real suggestion, The Boss DS-2 on the turbo setting with the treble pretty high and distortion as you please, sounds very close to Tim. If not, just crank the mids and treble, cut almost all the bass, that might get you close (in theory). /and lots o' distortion.
Smoke Crack. then **** with your amp until you're satisfied.
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
Try just setting it on clean and cranking the volume til the signal starts to break up. From my experience with Op Ivy, the recordings had a consistent sound, but live it was whatever. The bands goal was to write music that was plug it in and get it the F*** going. But this advice (see above) is probably the best way to get it.
I actually engineered everything the Beatles ever recorded, and I can tell you that Paul McCartney was one hell of a lead guitarist.

He played a Hofner Viola Bass through a Vox Amplifier.
Quote by Dudewitdaguitar
From my experience with Op Ivy, the recordings had a consistent sound, but live it was whatever. The bands goal was to write music that was plug it in and get it the F*** going. But this advice (see above) is probably the best way to get it.
Ur so kewl
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.