Hey guys, what is the difference between brand A's string and brand B's string? What does it affect? May I have some help on this? And how do you know if your string is going to snap? Thanks
tone, feel, design, tension, quality, materials and so forth.
Differences aren't that radical from brand to brand but they are enough that most people come to find a favorite and stick with them. You should experiment with different sets and find what you like.

you usually can't tell a string is about to snap until it actually does
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Oct 1, 2010,
1. Buy Elixirs
2. String guitar with Elixirs
3. Rock!

Seriously, I've been on Elixir baritones for a while now, love them to death. I had a set on for over year and ended up changing them just for the hell of it because I bought in bulk and had a few sets lying around...

If you don't like coated, GHS also good.
Different strings have different design? Don't they all look the same? And what do you mean by feel? Usually what brand of string would you people recommend on a Tribal Acoustic guitar? I'm living in Singapore by the way. So I'm afraid that some strings may not be available for sales here
Quote by ThEgAmE93
Different strings have different design? Don't they all look the same? And what do you mean by feel? Usually what brand of string would you people recommend on a Tribal Acoustic guitar? I'm living in Singapore by the way. So I'm afraid that some strings may not be available for sales here

The only way is to experiment!! There is no recommended string set.
For example, my friend likes Ernie Ball regular slinkys.
I, however, find that they dont last long enough, and that while they sound good their life is too short to justify the price, so I use elixirs.
Other people dont like elixir due to the price, as they are much more expensive than quite a lot of others.
So experiment!
I see. Okay thanks alot man. I'll probably get some strings from the shop and test the sound out.
The word 'design' dosn't only relate to appearance. In this case it was used in relation to how the strings are made, things like how they are wound, the type of core within the sting, etc. Companies use all sorts of methods to make guitar strings these days.

Acoustic strings are different to electric strings, etc.

By feel, he meant exactly that, how the strings feel. This varys depending on the material that they are made of a the way in which they are made.

There is no way of telling you which strings you will like best, you just have to experiment.

Personally, for acoustic, I like Martin strings.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.