Marijuana now a mere infraction in CA. Another step in the right direction..

I posted this in the dt as well, but this is fairly big. Although the real test will come this November with proposition 19, Arnold Schwarzenegger (who is a known for his anti legalization views) signed SB 1449 tonight which lowers the penalty from a misdemeanor to an infraction for anything up to 1 oz.

http://www.gov.ca.gov/press-release/16099/

Basically No trial, nothing, All you face is up to a 100 fine.

I feel this is a good fallback if for some reason prop 19 doesn't pass or gets blocked.

I'm glad that I am witnessing the end to a ridiculous prohibition, and hopefully soon people will realize for themselves, the exact lies that have been plaguing this country for nearly a century.

To the Members of the California State Senate: I am signing Senate Bill 1449. This bill changes the crime of possession of less than an ounce of marijuana from a misdemeanor punishable only by a $100 fine to an infraction punishable by a $100 fine. Under existing law, jail time cannot be imposed, probation cannot be ordered, nor can the base fine exceed $100 for someone convicted of this crime. I am opposed to decriminalizing the possession and recreational use of marijuana and oppose Proposition 19, which is on the November ballot. Unfortunately, Proposition 19 is a deeply flawed measure that, if passed, will adversely impact California’s businesses without bringing in the tax revenues to the state promised by its proponents. Notwithstanding my opposition to Proposition 19, however, I am signing this measure because possession of less than an ounce of marijuana is an infraction in everything but name. The only difference is that because it is a misdemeanor, a criminal defendant is entitled to a jury trial and a defense attorney. In this time of drastic budget cuts, prosecutors, defense attorneys, law enforcement, and the courts cannot afford to expend limited resources prosecuting a crime that carries the same punishment as a traffic ticket. As noted by the Judicial Council in its support of this measure, the appointment of counsel and the availability of a jury trial should be reserved for defendants who are facing loss of life, liberty, or property greater than $100. For these reasons, I am signing this bill. Sincerely, Arnold Schwarzenegger
I read that in his voice and completely lost the meaning.

anyway, someone who gets busted for weed deserves it. not because it's wrong to smoke, but because you have to be seriously stupid to get caught and charged.
Guess where this is never going to happen? Tennessee.

Seriously, I can never see the politicians here budging about two things: cannabis and same-sex marriage.
I thought it was already like that? I learned in my Law Enforcement class that up to 1 oz is "personal possession" or something, and was only a fine, and more than that nailed you with "intent to sell."

This bill is essentially symbolic, though, because federal law isn't changing.

Plus, in San Francisco and in parts of LA, marijuana is so common that the police have given up on enforcing it; in effect, legalizing it.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Last edited by rgrockr at Oct 1, 2010,
In the city I live, it is pretty much the same thing. Except the fine is much lower. Actually, the guy who helped pass the legislation back in the 60's is going to be at my house next week. We'll probably be discussing this.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by rgrockr

This bill is essentially symbolic, though, because federal law isn't changing.

I don't understand what the point is of having two separate laws. Like, what's the point of having a state law, when it can so easily be overruled by federal law? It just sounds so ****ing stupid.
Quote by pwnerer
I don't understand what the point is of having two separate laws. Like, what's the point of having a state law, when it can so easily be overruled by federal law? It just sounds so ****ing stupid.

Because it makes politicians in the South moist in their nether-regions.

Basically, it gives them the illusion that they're more powerful than the federal government, which is lulzy.
You guys do know that if marijuana becomes legal, its gonna become ridiculously expensive and you're still not going to be able to grow it yourselves, right?
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
Quote by The_Casinator
Hey guys, guess where I live?
THE NETHERLANDS!

Have you ever lived in The Netherlands...

...on weed?
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
That is great news!

Quote by aaronob
I had no idea about this.

However, I do know about Prop 19 and I will be voting yes on it

O7

EDIT: Double Posting FTL
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Last edited by Zombee at Oct 1, 2010,
Quote by pwnerer

The federal government wasn't intended to have as much power as they have. It was created to handle mainly money, military, and immigration. The point was to have 50 states with various laws and one small federal government to handle infrastructure.

That is why the federal government is so overwhelmed with bills that politicians don't even have the time to read. The federal government was designed to work slooowwwwlllyyy..

Its also one reason why people fight for "state's rights"
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.